Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
For an editing reel, what kinds of scenes are best to show off? I have a few different kinds of scenes but am wondering how many and for how long. I need to prep one for a possible job opening and want to show that I'm competent but not bore them to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

mojo1701a posted:

This isn't the final version, but a preliminary version uploaded so I can get some comments and criticisms.

The color switches noticeably in the first video in scene a few times (the one shot of the boy vs the two shot of boy and priest). I also don't know if it's Youtube, my computer or what, but most of the reel is pretty dark. In the first video it is hard to see their faces clearly, and the last video is just dark the whole way through.

Also, in the second video, it's kind of a personal thing, but if it's music-only, and one with a prominent beat, it sounds strange all chopped up. I would just take the source music and put it over that section, kind of like what you did with the third video (unless you just put the whole thing in there).

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Well, with reels/scripts/resumes/whatever, I always think that the person watching it is of the mindset of "any little thing off is a reason to choose someone else". I'd try brightening the clips a bit. If there's noise, it probably won't be too bad, especially on Youtube.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

mojo1701a posted:

So I've tried brightening, and it really does look like absolute poo poo. I mean, I can try upping the contrast or whatever, but because two of these videos are 480p already, it's going to be tricky.

Well, even if they have to stay dark, I'd still try to match the colors on the shots in the first video. The one shot two shot cut is really jarring as is.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Sorry I'm late replying, but I think it flows much better now. I checked it again on my home computer, and the new one is not quite as dark as I thought it was, but it's still darker than I'd like.

I don't really like the scene you put in place of the priest and boy scene, though. The older kid actor's head is cut off, and there really is only one or two cuts. Also, since I'm on a better setup now, I can really understand about the bad sound. There are a number of missing/muffled sounds. I know you didn't do the sound, but in some cases (the missing hit sound from when the heavier kid throws the egg, the weak slap sound), I think you may need to add something else in there.

The two other pieces are much stronger, as they are really all about the editing, and they aren't overshadowed by production problems.

Edit:

Here's my updated reel, if anybody's interested:

http://vimeo.com/17528472

It's a bit more polished now. I took out a few scenes and trimmed down what was there.

Momonari kun fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 7, 2010

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

mojo1701a posted:

Now as for your video: I like it. I have a few problems, though. "Silence," the piece that starts at around 3:30 seems awfully dim. Not dark like mine was, but very little light. Though I guess I can see that it's the fault of whoever shot it. There's enough light but only in certain parts.

Yeah, I know, and it definitely was my fault, since I shot it. Only so much I can do without a car or means to rent lights. I had two flood lights as my only light source and only one day in which to use the hall/room. I'll brighten it up a bit since it's really the only thing I can do.

quote:

...Sorry. I'd also change a few things around. The opening piece is also at the end, and it seems as if you run the same sort of thing twice. I'd get rid of the beginning one, since you do want to put your best work first.

Finally, the food video's kind of weird, since things are happening, but I don't know what. I mean, I get what it's supposed to be, but I think it might be more effective if I knew what they were talking about.

I tried to show the different styles of editing I could do. The food video is just a straight interview, with no real interesting dialogue. I'll probably stick subtitles in there at some point, but it's really there because it's a more effect-heavy bit than the rest, which are much more straight. As for the opening and the ending, I like both equally, and really don't like "Karma" much at all, so I really don't want to start with that clip. The first clip from Chinese Winter is a slow establishing scene with some really tough continuity editing because it's shot with one camera only. I know that's all behind the scenes, but I think it's seamless and people who are in the know would pick up on it. It's also the opening of the film so it opens better than the other clips I have.

I included the first Karma clip because it was a completely different style than the other ones, with multiple aspect ratios/video format, but it doesn't really have the impact I'd like to have for the beginning. I included each clip because of how much they differ from one another. The ending scene is similar to the first, but the dialogue bit at the beginning is good. The one scene I'm thinking about cutting is the scene in the comic book store right before that final clip.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

bking posted:

Is there a thread somewhere about the Final Cut Pro X preview last night at NAB? There has to be a lot of us crapping ourselves over it.

Not specifically, but they're talking about it at the end of this thread in SH/SC:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3114758

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
What's the industry breakdown on editing suites nowadays? The new Final Cut is coming out soon (presumably end of June, but who knows), but an industry friend of mine told me not to bother with it and switch over to Media Composer, because that's all he's working with and he hasn't worked on a show yet that uses Final Cut. I'm doing some personal projects now but will be trying to get a job in editing (or something else related) in a few years, so should I go for Avid or just stick with Final Cut? Probably a bit premature because of the new version, but I was wondering. My friend says it's a lot about how both programs handle offline editing. My Avid knowledge comes from Xpress Pro about seven years ago and I never used it seriously.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Sounds good. I'll likely get the Final Cut upgrade and then go from there. Any reason why reality TV tends to lean towards Avid (my friend does reality TV as well)?

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
With features being gutted and an OpenCL card requirement, looks like I'd be better off getting Final Cut 7 for a hopefully discounted price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I think I asked it in the SH/SC thread, but is anybody using the subscription service for Premeire? I'm wondering if this might be a good idea to ease into a PC editing suite from FCP when money is a bit tight. Can I switch to the full version and not have to worry about my projects?