Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
What's your usual technique for audio recorded at a slightly different speed that eventually goes out of sync with the video?

I figured I'd just be cutting 10ths of a second here and there, ripple editing the timeline, then blending the edges of the audio until it looks good, but I'm being hired to edit wrestling matches so all those heavy mat impacts are really going to have to sync up every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I thought about that, but if it starts in sync and then gradually slips out, wouldn't stretching the whole thing make the earlier parts go out of sync? I'll have a better look at it once they send more footage, but I'll be cutting between multiple camera angles anyway, so I guess the better solution would be to just cut and move the new angle back slightly until it fits again.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I've got a project I'm working with in Premiere Pro, and I'm supposed to put a nameplate graphic over it at the bottom of the screen, with text displaying the person's name on top of it, so it's a little text box with a background.

The effect I'm going for is to start the nameplate graphic at 200% size, then immediately scale it down to 100% within a fraction of a second. This works perfectly fine for the text box graphic - shrinking it by half keeps it in place on the bottom of the frame.

The actual text I'm putting over it on the other hand, is determined to scale toward the center of the frame, and it seems like even if I change the anchor point, it still wants to do it. Worse, this seems to happen randomly depending on the project, because sometimes graphics & text will behave and sometimes they won't.

So, 1) how do I make it so that it just applies the scaling wherever I place it, and 2) why the gently caress is Premiere like this?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Tried that. The nested clip also pulls to center frame.

edit: :lol: The solution is to just bypass the problem entirely and do everything in the middle, then reposition it later. I wonder what Adobe thinks the actual solution is, because it's probably not that.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 14, 2023

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

So this is a weird one. I've mentioned before that I edit wrestling matches for an indie promotion. Our hard cam is a Ninja V, and up until this point the footage looked perfectly normal. Then for some reason at the beginning of this match about halfway through the show, it just suddenly decided to turn everything orange. My color corrected version is on the right, but I had to turn the saturation WAY down to get it like that, which isn't ideal. We had 3 other camera angles, and none of them picked up anything like this at the same point in the footage.

The only possible thing I can think of is that someone's entrance lighting threw off the Ninja V's color balance, but I have no actual idea. The last wrestler to enter the match had some intense green lighting during his entrance, but even then the footage still looked normal for a few seconds after that. But then the venue lights changed to ring spotlights instead of the entrance lighting, and suddenly it did the orange thing.

The really weird part is that it goes back to normal for the next match after this one, but we didn't stop filming (it's one continuous file for the whole show), and then it does the orange thing again for another match later in the show - this time after someone's entrance with red lights. So it seems like it happens for inconsistent reasons. Anyone know WTF causes this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

The Clap posted:

It's definitely a white balance issue - based on your description it sounds like this camera in your setup was set to automatic white balance and the various lighting cues triggered the white balance to change but for whatever reason it didn't change back immediately. I imagine it had something to do with the placement of the camera in relation to the venue's lighting setup and how the automatic white balance was trying to respond in real time to the lighting changes.
Sorry didn't see this until now, but thanks. Unfortunately I don't handle cameras or placement, just the post-production, but I'll relay that to the team. I kind of hate the hard cam anyway, handheld is the way to go.

I'm also currently in the market for an affordable jog wheel if anyone has recommendations. Doesn't need to be on the keyboard, those all seem to be stupidly expensive.