Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I wasn't sure where to ask this, but this thread seems good a place as any: I'm getting a little more serious about my video editing having recently picked up a Panasonic SD60, so I'm at the point where I want something more powerful than Windows Movie Maker for editing. I've downloaded and installed a few trials (Premiere Elements Pro and Sony Movie Studio HD, I'll also be trying out Lightworks thanks to this thread) to see which piece of starter software works best for me but I've run into a snag I hadn't considered before.

When editing the compressed AVCHD m2ts files each program I use starts to lag when playing back the video. This makes it very hard to edit since I can't actually see what the video looks like as I go along. After talking to a friend of mine who is more into editing than I he suggested I may just have to convert my files to a more standard format first so the programs won't have to deal with the compressed format on the fly.

Does anyone have any recommendations for programs that will do the video conversion with as minimal loss to quality as possible? Or any other suggestions to improve the editing experience?

I have a 3ghz dual core PC with 4gigs of RAM, so I'm not too concerned about my computer's abilities. I guess the only real problem is I'm running an ATI video card since I just learned Nvidia cards are necessary for GPU rendering (at least with premiere).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Unfortunately the HD Writer software that came with the SD60 only has the option to convert to mpeg2 format, and it converts it into a standard format instead of widescreen, so it doesn't really work for me. I did just try Avidemux 2.5, which at the settings I used seemed to output the video at a high quality but the audio lost sync. Still looking for something that will do the job a little better, and it would be nice if I could automate a batch to convert a bunch of videos at once since they are all broken up into individual clips off of the camera.

I know I won't be able to edit in AVCHD natively, and given how many consumer cameras use this format you'd think finding something to convert it to an easily editable format would be simple, especially given that most consumers aren't going to have the processing power to edit AVCHD natively (like me!).

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Thanks all for the suggestions on how to convert AVCHD into a workable format. As it turns out I had a program installed all along that so far seems to do a very decent job converting to WMV or AVI format called WinAVI. I've watched the converted files compared to the originals and I really can't see much of a difference at all.

I also had the idea to just drop each clip I needed to convert into my editor and just export it without making any of my edits. If I didn't have WinAVI this process probably would have worked, although it would have taken a long time since it couldn't be automated.