Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

What kind of monitors in the sub-$1000 range are decent for color correction? Right now I'm using a 6-year-old dell 2405fpw, and it does a terrible job reproducing darker colors. When I bring up one of my videos on a computer that's hooked up to a newer LED-backlit display, I can see a lot of detail that I couldn't on my home setup. Does anyone have advice on what to look for or avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Gunjin posted:

Are you correcting for broadcast? If so unless you find a good deal on something used, nothing sub 1K is going to give you the results you want, unless you can find someone offloading an old CRT broadcast monitor. you're also going to need something like a Kona or Blackmagic card to output a proper broadcast signal, the signal a regular video card puts out doesn't have the proper color space or gamma and if you're working interlaced it won't do that right either. Flanders Scientific comes well recommended everywhere I've looked, but their least expensive broadcast monitor comes in at 2500.

If you aren't worried about 100% broadcast compliant, but just the best you can do, a lot of people swear by the Panasonic professional Plasma monitors, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686607-REG/Panasonic_TH_42PF20U_Full_HD_Professional_Plasma_Display.html comes in just slightly over 1k, plus you will need a calibration tool.

The material I'm going to be working with over the next year will probably be aimed toward public television distribution - I don't have the money for a broadcast-compliant setup, but the producer I'm going to be working with might be willing to spring for one (depending on what kind of facilities can be rented in our rural-ish area).

The Panasonic is more along the lines of what I'm looking for right now - I've started working with 4:2:2 footage in recent months, and I'd like to be able to color correct with greater accuracy than I can with my current monitor.

Edit: There wouldn't happen to be anything a bit smaller with similar capabilities, would there? It would be nice to be able to use it side-by-side with a desktop PC instead of devoting a good chunk of a room to a monitor.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 5, 2011

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Given that I can't afford something with true color accuracy at the moment, would you recommend just chucking a couple hundred dollars at an LED-backlit display that will give me a better idea of how much I should crush my blacks for now, or would something along the lines of that $1000 panasonic display leave me with footage that will require considerably less work to do once I'm able to book time in a proper color correction suite?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Thanks - that solution's probably the best fit for me right now, since my major client over the next year will be able to pay for proper facilities/equipment for his projects, and most of my other personal/freelance projects won't require that level of perfection.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Gunjin posted:

There have been some screenshots and information leaked, Color and Motion are both surviving, though they may be rolled into FCP X.

EDIT: Will check out the free Resolve though, hadn't heard about that, thanks for the heads up.

I think they specifically stated in their NAB presentation that Color was going to be integrated into FCPX. This seems like a wise move, since Color has some limitations on what it can display from your FCP timeline (transitions and most filters aren't visible).

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

If you're looking for something that can do pan&scan in real time, controlled by the user, nothing is jumping to mind. Macs have system level magnification that can be turned on to give you a similar effect during full-screen video playback, although you'll be sacrificing a bit of image quality (unless OSX 10.7 has made screen magnification resolution independent).

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Adobe's offering the Production Pro CS5.5 suite for half off until the end of the month, and you can still find boxed versions of Avid's $1000 Media Composer crossgrade at certain resellers. Even if you're happy with FCP7 for the time being, now's a great time to broaden your software toolbox if you're not strapped for cash. If you're a freelancer or if you frequently collaborate with other editors, it's probably a worthwhile investment.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

There's a "Post Your Short Films" thread here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3371195

But if you want to discuss your editing/post-production this would also be an appropriate place.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The rolling shutter and codec on the D90 are really awful. The D7000 and D5100 are a big improvement in terms of video function.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I've had some weird issues with putting progressive media into an interlaced timeline in FCP that produced similar aliasing. The best solution I could come up with was to change the timeline to a progressive codec and deinterlace the interlaced clips in it.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Is there some sort of channel other than eBay to sell production equipment?

We just closed down our Tampa facility and have tons of rack mounted equipment. They were a post/finishing/editing facility so it's all decks and smoke (2009 not upgraded) and other stuff. The most expensive piece being an HDCam deck.

It's probably worth posting your inventory on DVXUser and seeing if anyone's interested.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?17-For-Sale-or-Want-to-Buy

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

mayodreams posted:

It doesn't. The only way to update software is through the Mac App Store. So I launched FCP7, and then noticed that FCP X was installed too. I didn't install it, but I launched it, it updated itself, and then broke FCP7. Very interesting indeed.

I reinstalled FCP7 after upgrading to a computer with Lion, and it still updated through software update. The updates are usually titled something like "Pro Apps Update" instead of mentioning the program by name, though.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

mayodreams posted:

Right. Mountain Lion gets rid of the old Software Update app and only will let you update through the Mac App store. I manually downloaded the Pro Apps updates and they still work fine. I traced FCP crashing to the AJA Kona drivers I installed, so I really can't throw Apple under the bus there. :v:

My bad - I thought people were using ML as an abbreviation for MacOSX Lion. Disregard the earlier post.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

What's everyone's opinions on showreels for editing?
Sure, making a montage of stuff to music shows of some degree of skill, but I don't think it tells anyone as much about your appropriate editing skill as a series of actual clips.

What I have is a handful of music videos directed/shot/edited by me and promos for TV shows. Setting cool shots from the videos to music would show me off as a director, but then there's no way to really include the promos and I'd rather show off all my roles working together.

I was thinking something I could do would be a mock TV thing where each video is a channel being flipped through and in between is where the ads could go, but that could be loving cheesy.

Who are your clients? Layfolk who need a video made will have a much higher cheese threshold than directors/producers who are looking for an editor.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's for a "Trainee Creative Producer" position at a TV station's ad department. I think the commercials are mostly internal promotion for the station, which is why I want to include an example of my TV promos.

Then as long as you demonstrate solid fundamentals, you should be good. Promotional media is all about being impactful and concise, so a compilation to music should suffice if you put some thought and effort into it.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Yes, After Effects will save you a ton of pain doing work like that. Even if the tracker doesn't work for that particular clip, manipulating and animating masks goes much more quickly in AE than in any NLE.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Most of the editing work I do is for a client who wants everything in Premiere because that's what he knows, and I find myself constantly frustrated by the lack of keyboard shortcuts for selecting, nudging and trimming clips in the timeline, even after not using FCP7 for over a year. Now that XML, native RED support, multicam and the ability to look at two clips side by side are enabled in FCPX, I'm looking into switching back for some upcoming major projects. I believe both FCPX and Adobe Creative Suite have free 30 day trial periods available, so it can't hurt to try both and see which one floats your boat.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Is the hotkey functionality as extensive in FCPX as it is in FCP7? I'm considering switching back from Adobe, and Apple has addressed most of the issues that kept me away from FCPX before now.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Just a heads up - the latest update to Premiere CS6 can do this to your existing projects:

Removing and reapplying effects and transitions fixed it, but it's probably wise to do what I didn't and finish your current work before upgrading.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Yip Yips posted:

But I'm perpetually in the middle of at least one project :(.

That's pretty much the boat I'm in, too. I'm pretty judicious about waiting to install major updates, but I've never had an issue like this with a minor service update from a major software supplier before.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I haven't had any issues with warp stabilizer analysis being thrown out on AE CS5.5 or CS6 with OSX 10.7.X.

Insufficient RAM shouldn't cause problems like that under OSX, but I guess you never know with Adobe. A corrupted install/preferences or a bug are much more likely to be the culprit.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

the_lion posted:

So uh, is dynamic link between AE and Premiere on cs6 always terrible? It just seems to render black for the majority of my comps. :(

We don't have CC on this machine unfortunate but I've tried relinking and it still fails.

Every dynamic comp is it's own AE file if that helps.

Sometimes minor service updates to Adobe CS programs will delete whatever third party plugins you've installed and make things that worked before render out black. Try reinstalling whatever RAW plugins you're using in both Premiere and AE, and see if that solves the problem.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

the_lion posted:

The footage is just photoshop files I animated in AE at 1920x1080, really basic stuff. The footage is stored locally on a 1TB fusion drive. Most of the clips are 1-5 seconds long.

That's odd. When you right click on the composition in your Premiere timeline and choose "edit original" does your fully-intact animation open up in After Effects?

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

the_lion posted:

Yeah, this is the part that confuses me. I can see them in the premiere bin, and edit original works 100% fine.

Something tells me I hit a big old glitch that is obscure. I'll probably do it the old fashioned "render and replace" files in premiere I guess.

That's probably the best approach. Hunting down the cause of CS glitches can be very time-consuming.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

1st AD posted:

I think you'd pretty much have to use Flash to make this kind of interactivity work.

A while ago the TV show New Girl had an interactive branching music video on their website that basically worked the same way, though it wasn't as granular as Malaver wants it. But I'm sure you can pull it off with enough time/resources.

It's not going to be something that would work on anything but a desktop computer, however.

Flash works really well for interactive mp4 video projects. There's a bit of a learning curve if you aren't already experienced with it, but you can manipulate multiple layers of video with transparency and have a good deal of control over playback. Adobe AIR will let you port it to multiple platforms, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

I thought the file format can be either Flash or mp4 or something else. Not sure how to interpret your first sentence?

Flash can import MP4 video and manipulate it in several ways, then publish as an SWF, or through Adobe AIR as a desktop application or a mobile app.