Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FLX posted:

Cool thread! I'm a in post-production as well, currently being trained to become a color grader. I've worked as a freelance 2D/3D motion design artist and project manager before and also produce a season of short event/tournament videos for a client of mine every year.

Anyway, I've been working a lot with Premiere while at University when HD wasn't that big yet and we would just film, capture and edit in standard definition. I've since preferred editing in Final Cut and am used to the ProRes workflow. A friend of mine who is a photographer got a 7D recently and wanted to edit some video he shot with it in Premiere CS5. Unfortunately, even though he has a a powerful quad core Windows PC with a decent graphics card, the 1080 h.264 doesn't play smoothly without being rendered first.

This made me wonder what the best codec would be, for editing HD in Premiere. As far as I know Adobe always wants to support formats natively and never settled on an intermediate codec for editing, which sucks if you don't have a workstation with the exact hardware specifications (CUDA and the like) to do this in real time.

I'm surprised that h.264 doesn't work on a quad core windows machine. Premiere plays 1080 h.264 from my 5d smoothly on both my 2.4ghz dual core Macbook Pro and 4 year old, 3ghz dual core windows machine. I can even to minimal transitions/effects with only a bit of choppiness.

Does he have a recent-ish Nvidia card? You can do a very simple hack to let Premiere use CUDA with other cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could just be lazy and buy plural eyes.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you need to pan around while the video is playing? Seems like a variety of editing programs would let you zoom in, but it would pause the video on the zoom and you'd have to hit play again--same for panning.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any Premiere users out there? I've done a bunch of different projects with my XF300 and Premiere Pro with few issues, but now, with no changes I know of to my system, it's importing the MXF files as audio only. In the media browser it shows as video, but if I try to import it or open in the source monitor, I only get the audio tracks. This happens whether I'm reading it directly off the card or doing it through a folder I imported with XF Utility. The files all look fine in XF Utility as well.

I have no idea what could be causing this and couldn't find anything after googling it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just did a big order from these guys and was pretty happy with the result. If you did full color dvd with a clear plastic sleeve or jewel case, it'd be about $170 for 100. $140 if you just do those plain paper window sleeves. I think either option would be more than enough and well appreciated by cast and crew.

http://www.mixonic.com/discproject/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately, I never saw the discs myself. They were for a remote client who seemed happy enough with it. I bet they'd send you a sample if you gave them a call.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to play with some motion tracking stuff in After Effects and I'm curious as to what governs its performance. It seems to take forever, but looking at activity monitor my CPU is barely spiking at all. I'm on an quad core i7 MBP with 8 gigs of RAM, working off of a FW800 drive. Could the FW800 connection be slowing it down somehow?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right now I'm using 1 gig per background process because any more and it drops processors actually used down to zero no matter what other settings I use. I will look at what size boxes I've been using. It's possible that I've just got something somewhere else in the program setup dumb, just not sure what it would be.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The footage is from a Premiere project--I believe it was from an XF300 clip. Premiere's big thing is not needing to transcode so I didn't think about converting it to something else. Should I do that?

I'm not good enough in After Effects at this point to spring for Mocha--other than some color correction, I'm mostly screwing around for my own edification at this point.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

The footage is from a Premiere project--I believe it was from an XF300 clip. Premiere's big thing is not needing to transcode so I didn't think about converting it to something else. Should I do that?

I'm not good enough in After Effects at this point to spring for Mocha--other than some color correction, I'm mostly screwing around for my own edification at this point.

So I took the hard drive out of my FW800 enclosure, bought MacDrive and an extra 8GB of ram for my gaming desktop, and installed a trial of CS5.5. It's waaaay faster than it was on my MBP. I'm thinking it was mostly due to the hard drive speed and lack of RAM. The difference is big enough I'm thinking of trying to sell my MBP to build a desktop for heavy lifting and Air for mobile use if anyone's in need of a thunderbolt 15" with high res matte screen.

I also realized that Mocha comes free with AE and wound up using that and a Cameratracker trial for most of the project, which leads me to another question: for Mocha, standard workflow for putting text on a surface seems to be placing the text in the scene, pre-comping it, and then applying corner pin data to the pre comp. This works really well for the most part, but I'm not sure how to get motion blur. When I connect text to points in cameratracker or null objects with AE's tracker it's easy enough, but I haven't been able to get anything to show up with the pre-comped text. Any suggestions?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It sounds like a crazy pain in the butt to me. If the guy sucked to work for when you did it for free, I can't imagine it being much better when you're getting paid. Probably worse. And I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that his hair brained idea will never see the light of day if he's only willing to chuck $150 at editing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like switching between a Kensington expert trackball and Microsoft's weird ergonomic mouse. It seems like switching it up helps helps quite a bit itself.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You definitely need to get compatible RAM, but that should be relatively easy. I think crucial has a ram compatibility checker that'll tell you what your system takes.

I've edited hd footage on a MacBook pro with similar specs and it was fine. Obviously faster is better but it got the job done.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you just tell us what your laptop is? That'd be easier than us guessing whether you're reading things right. I don't think you can normally use DDR3 in DDR2 motherboards. There's also a thread in SH/SC for this type of question.

And yes, the student/teacher versions are the same thing.

edit: read this page from Crucial http://www.crucial.com/support/memory_speeds.aspx for your answer. No DDR3 on DDR2 boards. You can shop for better prices than Crucial by searching for whatever numbers it gives you there on newegg, e.g. DDR2 1066 blah blah.

powderific fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 8, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crucial is telling me that your laptop IS ddr3, where'd you see it was DDR2? If that model number is right I'd go for this memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

Edit: here's the page I got to given the model number you gave me: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Pavilion%20dv6-1360us&Cat=RAM

powderific fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 9, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, is 1360us the model listed on the bottom of your system, or your invoice? Because that's what I'd go by rather than the scanner.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My legit Creative Cloud Premiere install regularly forgets that it's legit and self de-authorizes, losing all codecs. I don't know why it happens but it's loving annoying.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think prores is an option on windows. Do you have a clip short enough to put on ge.tt or something? I can take a look at it on my Premiere install to see if it's incompatibility with the program or an issue with your setup specifically.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: ^^^ Yeah, keynote or powerpoint are probably better options. ^^^

Pretty sure you can make an iDVD without the theme by just dropping your videos before the the menu on the flow chart. It's been ages since I used iDVD so things may have changed there. I think the simplest thing would be to just have them pause the video on a few seconds of black between clips. Unless having the actors drive the thing is part of the script, I'd just have one of the technical theatre people drive the remote.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've edited xf300, 5dmkii, and a bunch of random internet video codecs on the same premiere timeline with no issues. I think you have something bigger going on, or its that mp4.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hate Final Cut 7 so much. I learned on Premiere Pro and that's what I use for pretty well everything, but the (awesome) editor we use on bigger projects is all FCP 7, so I still have to use it any time we work with her. The over huge folder full of ProRes transcodes clogging up my editing drive annoys me every time I look at it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the snapping razor would be great. It's been years since I used FCP7 extensively (and I had no idea what I was doing when I did use it) but I remember certain aspects of the timeline being just nicer to use.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had to go to Adobe's stupid video site to find out anything: http://tv.adobe.com/

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a faster way to have the vectorscope in Premiere look at just one section of the image than using a garbage matte or zooming in with the motion effect? It's crazy time consuming to isolate sections of the image like that and it's making me a bit crazy. I just want to zoom in on a patch of skin or whatever.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you have no goals whatsoever outside the school stuff, does it really matter? Why not just use whatever all your teachers are already using? Or whatever you like best. I'm not sure why you're worried about being more professional if you have no interest in being a professional.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a setting where you tell Premiere whether you want it to use GPU accelerated rendering or software. If the CUDA option is selected you're all good. If it's not available, check to see if your card is on the supported list—if it's not you can actually make Premiere use it anyway. There are some simple guides for that you can find through the googles.

edit: Premiere is designed to work with native files, do you have a particular reason for converting?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use iSkysoft's converter for stuff that my normal roster of programs doesn't like, most often converting stuff to WMV for client's whose IT departments are stuck in the 90's.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it might be beneficial for you to do some renders while watching various tabs in activity monitor to see where your bottlenecks are. For us it's almost always the processor for rendering, but we only have iMacs and laptops, and we don't use Final Cut, so your situation may be different.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried doing a render and replace on all the audio? I have to do that sometimes when I'm using plugins.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you enjoying the work at all? Does it feel like you're learning useful stuff? Are you working unreasonable hours doing things that aren't going to help you in your career? Unpaid internships are definitely a thing that a lot of people do in the industry. Whether you're cool with that or not depends on a lot of things. There's plenty of discussion out there on the ethics of unpaid work in creative industries if you really want to delve into the nuances of it.

edit: also, are you good enough at the things that you're doing that you could go out right now and get paid to do it? Many of the bullshit unpaid things I see are like above where instead of gaining real experience you're doing coffee runs.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We've always paid our interns but wound up getting rid of them all together. It's just too much time and trouble—we don't have the luxury of altruistically giving people experience with no real return.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How would you add 3 drives to a two disk enclosure? Do you mean have multiple Little Big Disks and then striping across all of them? Because that seems like it's asking for trouble. Promise and Caldigit make larger Thunderbolt arrays if that's what you want. They're definitely not as portable though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Outside server racks the only thing I can think of that has an array of more than 2 2.5" drives is the Drobo Mini, but that's not going to let you roll your own non-redundant RAID 0 type thing and I don't think Drobo's have that great of performance compared to equivalent normal RAID arrays anyway.

We have a Lacie 2 big Thunderbolt that we use quite a lot. Even though it's using 3.5" drives it's actually not that bad to cart around since it's only two of em. Not sure if that'd get you the speed you need, but you'd at least be able to move up to larger disks. It also fits perfectly into a LowePro Novo 2 I bought ten years ago. It's like the bag was designed for the enclosure.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you've been doing alright with the laptop this long I think you'd find a new iMac to be a very noticeable upgrade. You're still dealing with the thunderbolt thing, but outside a hackintosh you don't have any other options in that regard.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is bitcoin mining really the reason Apple went to NVidia? I know they're sucking up all the new, high end AMD cards but I wouldn't think that would affect anything at the iMac and Macbook level.

OpenCL on my MacBook Pro actually seems to make things SIGNIFICANTLY worse most of the time. It slows my machine to a crawl on some effects that render realtime, full res on software only.

I think the middle end refurb iMacs are pretty good bang for the buck. Like this guy for $1700: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE089LL/A/refurbished-27-inch-imac-34ghz-quad-core-intel-core-i5 Just put in a bunch of extra RAM and it's a pretty solid machine. Obviously you can save money going PC instead, but it's not like that's a new revelation.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trying to buy computers for longevity can be a bit of a fool's errand though. Anyway, With an iMac you can do CUDA, 32 GB of RAM, and a nice display for around $2k. If you feel like that's insufficient, you're looking at spending more like $4k to get into the Mac Pro, but you're also losing CUDA and stuck with Adobe's shoddy OpenCL, which might not matter to you.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is something that you'd be best talking to a web or app developer about. Where/how would it be playing?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here use tape based backup? I'm looking at M-Logic's thunderbolt LTO-6 drive and want to find some kind of software to manage the archival process. I've used Retrospect on windows so the Mac version of that was my first choice, but wanted to see if there was anything else that might work better since I only care about backing up one big array and am not trying to setup backups for a whole group of systems. In my ideal world I'd rotate two sets of tapes, keeping one offsite and one onsite, and be able to just write new files to a single tape instead of reading out the whole archive every time.

To give some background, here's what I want to do: Right now we have roughly 15 TB of files spread across 9 drives. Each drive has a clone and that's it for backup. It's incredibly tedious to maintain backups or even find the file you're looking for unless it's a new project on the most recently purchased drive. I'd like to put all that bulk storage on a 24tb 12 bay NAS and then repurpose those 9 drives for directly attached, fast storage on projects that we're currently working on. We'd use the tape drive to make a backup of the array, and then once a project reaches a certain age, I'd like to have it only on tape and remove it from the array.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Premiere shouldn't be reconforming every time you open the project unless you're moving it around between systems or something. Usually if I'm having audio issues I just render and replace and that takes care of it. For whatever reason I tend to have sporadic audio issues like that in premiere even with pretty normal files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to figure out if I need a new computer or if Speedgrade is just fundamentally a terrible program. When I direct link between speed grade and premiere, the color wheels and sliders tend to lag 5 to 15 seconds behind my input. And once I bring the project back into Premiere, I have a similar lag on moving the playhead. I've done two short web videos with the delay and wanted to die. Resolve works adequately—no realtime playback or anything, but the interface responds fine. The issue is I always have to make a lot of edits after color correct and I'll often have a series of videos that pull from the same pool of original clips. It'd be super convenient with both situation to have direct link and master clips working.

My system is an early 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.2 Ghz i7, 16gb RAM, 6750m 1GB Radeon, 750GB hybrid OS drive, 4TB USB 3.0 drive with footage through a Caldigit Thunderbolt interface. I've tested out the same project on a newer Retina MBP with higher clock speed, 8GB of RAM, PCI-E SSD, and an nvidia GPU with I'm not sure how much memory. On the newer system it seemed to be much more responsive with no noticeable lag, but I didn't have a lot of time to test.

I'm wondering if the problem is storage speed, processor speed, GPU, or some other problem with my system/Speedgrade. If simply upgrading to a newer MacBook would taker care of the issue that'd be great, but that seems too easy.