Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve just started the freelance game and the only thing I’ve gotten in so far is story hunter, which seems kinda cool but not a lot of action in my area. I’ve used production hub to find crew elsewhere but the paid plans do not seem worth it in my area (Midwest small city with under 1m people, so density of jobs is not high).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seems like it’d be much easier to just import the images into resolve as a sequence and then export instead of using your virtual dub file. Like, the cinema dng codec I use for raw sometimes is just folders with thousands upon thousands of dng image files that come in as a sequence, and making time lapses from a bunch of stills is a thing people do all the time. I’d suggest trying to explore that route instead of converting the outdated codec.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit: NEVERMIND. I had an issue on the export scaling of some clips

Has anyone ever encountered an issue where clips that are the same pixel dimensions scale differently in Premiere? I'm doing a color correct and brining in DNX HR versions of the final clips and then re-applying any zooms and pans that were on the originals in Premiere, and nothing is copying over right. I've never run into this issue before and it's super strange. The source clips are ProRes 422 3840x2160 1.0 pixel aspect ratio, the new graded clips are DNX HR 3840x2160 1.0 pixel aspect ratio. It's making me crazy cause it does not make sense to me.

powderific fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 23, 2019

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you do for offsite backups? Or is the replica at a different location?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don’t necessarily need to transcode if the footage plays back fine. Though I don’t know anything about how Vegas works specifically, with Premiere and Resolve I only transcode high bitrate h.265, like 400mbps or more, and otherwise just edit h.264 and h.265 natively. I used to have to transcode all h.265 to get it playing right, but recent updates to Premiere have made it work fine at lower bitrates.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ideally you'd find a freelancer you can work with consistently to get a system down, and help you get all the logistical framework you're talking about sorted. It'll make things more consistent and a lot less work on your end if you have someone who can do it the way you want every time and there's no onboarding. Intro/outro animations could be a different person. Depending on whether you mean like a graphic animation with text/logos or something with actual footage will change who you'd want to find.

I've never used fiverr for hiring anyone, but I'm in the industry so it's probably easier for me to get referrals. Where are you located? What kind of budget are you looking at for this project?

If you can adjusting the format to fit channel is best. Youtube vs instagram/facebook is probably the biggest difference.

There are a lot of cheap stock music options. Your editor will probably have something they like already.

You may want to pick your editing software to match the editor so you can have the project files to work with if you need them. You can also save some editor time/money if you're doing some of the organization on your end.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have some RavPower NP-F550 batteries that work well on my camera monitors; I imagine they'd be small enough. They're 2900 vs 3500 but also $35 for a two pack with charger.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Clear out preview files maybe?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Turn it into a nested sequence and then you can move that around like it’s a rendered out clip.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not an FCP person so I can't tell you exactly how to do it, but that's something I do in Premiere and Resolve regularly. It's also called offline editing if that helps you google the exact how to. Here's an apple support article I found after a quick search: https://support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/create-a-proxy-only-project-vere88b1ee9f/mac

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is the audio encoded as? Mov can hold a variety of audio/video codecs. Both for the files and the ones you reencoded with handbrake? What did you record them with in the first place?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you compare stream info in vlc between the ones that work and the ones that don't?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Version 12 is the first version that had a full NLE and that was just 6 years ago, so you’ve got a practically beta version that’s had 6 years of development since. I don’t think they even had a way to deinterlace till 12.5. I’m sure there’s all sorts of other stupid stuff that doesn’t work right too.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you know anything else about his setup, versions, etc?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The old setup too? If he still has the old system it'd be worth looking through all the settings to see what/if anything changed.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The MixPre is great and will do that. I would just record all of the audio on that and then either sync with sound or sort out a timecode solution.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A new version just came out yesterday if you wanna try that. Have you also tried disconnecting all but one display? I notice you mentioned three and I saw one post that mentioned that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don’t have it loaded on my M1 air yet to eyeball settings on mine, but first thing I’d check would be in mercury playback do you have hardware acceleration turned on?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HEVC is a pain and processor intensive, but I think the latest Premiere should have hardware HEVC support. It could be some kind of Pemiere glitch. What are your memory settings? Do you have any effects on the clips?

If I have time tomorrow I can install Premiere on my M1 air and see if anything looks weird by default (might not have time till the work week though.)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OK, I don't have any files that are exactly the same to test with, but it did look like my options were the same and hardware decoding was working with a 5k 200mps HEVC file, but did have some dropped frames. Oddly enough if I switched off hardware accelerated decoding it worked better with the HEVC, so maybe there's a broader issue here? So try that.

If you wanna see if the hardware decoding is working or not on a clip while you're playing back, hit command f12, and then in the debug console at the mpeg importer. There will be framecounts for software and hardware and you can just look at which number is going up while you play back.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After fussing around for a while with DIY tricks to de-flicker a slow mo clip unsuccessfully (like the offset thing), the deflicker tool in Resolve fixed it with almost no tweaking.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could also have Hedge or Shotputpro or whatever change the names on offload (if you have control of that part of the process). Or similar to the above windows options, in OSX you can just select all the files and when you right click to rename there's an option to add text and do other things.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are you putting the clip/clips in a timeline that's set to the aspect ratio you want and then scaling the clip to how you want or doing something else for the crop? Cause I don't see why that shouldn't work fine

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could bounce it to a new track and do the fade on that. I don’t think compound clip is exclusive to studio or anything though. Have you tried doing the same thing from the edit page instead? Saw someone posting something bout trying that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just tested this in Resolve and you do indeed have to do it from the edit panel and can't do it in Fairlight if you want a compound clip.

And just FYI bouncing the track is basically what Alan_Shore is describe except it just does it in the panel instead of going through deliver and then re-importing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You do it in Fairlight.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you have a non-square pixel aspect ratio somewhere perhaps?

Edit: like, this is separate from the frames aspect ratio it’s the actual pixels being stretched or whatever.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should just email one of the professors and find out what you'll be using instead of guessing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If the footage has either black bars on top and bottom or is just a 16:9 file, the most you can do is crop it back to a 4:3 shape but you’ll be losing even more of the image. Unless I’m missing something about what’s going on with it. It’s not like something where you’re just turning off an overlay (I mean, I’m sure that’s possible to create but I doubt that’s what’s going on here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

I think they mean the bars are on either side.

Ah yeah makes sense, pedantry getting the best of me once again.