Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm an amateur messing around with Vegas Pro (ver 18) and I've encountered a conundrum.

This is what I'm trying to do: have a full screen static background image (png), on top of which is a moving grid (separate .veg file), on top of which is a static foreground image (png).

Vegas reports that all of these are 1440x1080, which agrees with my project file. However, Vegas displays the images as wider than the video, unless I turn off "Maintain Aspect Ratio" in their video fx menus.

Now, it's easy enough to do that so this isn't necessarily a problem , but I'm very confused that the program would necessitate this. All three sources should be the same size already. Can anyone shed some light on why it behaves this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

powderific posted:

Do you have a non-square pixel aspect ratio somewhere perhaps?

Edit: like, this is separate from the frames aspect ratio it’s the actual pixels being stretched or whatever.

Huh, I'm not quite positive where I would look to check that...

edit: sonuva bitch

Kingo Ligma posted:

A somewhat reductive but 100% accurate answer

oh no

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 22, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Using Vegas Pro 18.0

For a hobby project, I've taken in an mp4 of a VHS rip of an old movie and then covered up about 30 seconds of titties with a jpg of garfield. I'm trying to render it with exactly the same settings as the original file, but 1) there's some heavy chromatic aberration and 2) everything tilted like 60 degrees to the right.

I am absolutely baffled what would cause this or what options I could choose to get rid of this. Any ideas?

Edit: okay, so there's an "HEVC/AAC" mp4 and an "AVC/AAC" mp4. I tried rendering as the other version and it worked fine.

gently caress me, man, all this video poo poo might as well be loving magic. I don't know how any of you deal with this bullshit.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 6, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I got Vegas 14 for $20 in a humble bundle a while back and have been very happy with it. A few things were counter intuitive, but for the most part I've been able to just click and drag my way around. A friend uses DiVinci and has been happy with that.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 3, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Asking as a hobbyist: when rendering a video, how do you choose bitrate?

I'm asking because I made a handful of small edits to something and was shocked the finished project was four times the original. Poking around, the original had a bitrate of 2500kbps while the default render settings were set to 20000kps.

Now I had been reluctant to play with any settings I didn't have to, but after scaling the bitrate down to around the original I'm back to a file size that will fit on a pen drive.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Cool! Rerendering the video at lower settings gave me something that was visually identical but less than a tenth the file size, so I'm happy with that.

I think I've mostly become happy with my skills at editing qua editing, but anything with codecs or rendering or the like is a black art to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sounds odd that they supplied something so low in bitrate already. Is it not something they made and just grabbed from YouTube or another site?

"Supplied" feels like far too professional of a word for a silly thing I'm doing for a friend, but it was mostly a lot of still shots.

tbh, the finished file size wouldn't have been surprising except that I noticed the original was so small.