Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hey y'all. quick question. is it okay to use a regular HDD for saving your files? my PC has an SSD and admittedly it's pretty fast (seemingly?) but it's also really small (250 GB only) so i'm gonna need to get some more storage. but SSDs are way more expensive than HDDs. i believe the main benefit is the read/write speed. but if i don't mind waiting a bit longer for my videos to export, can i do with just a regular HDD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

got a possibly dumb question

i'm creating a video that i'll be editing in premiere but then also using after effects. the latter i've tinkered around with in the past but never actually made anything with. if i'm doing basic text animations, the kind that both premiere and after effects do, should i do that in premiere while i'm editing or save it for when the video is exported and i'm adding the motion graphics in after effects?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i haven't used dynamic link (obviously) what's wrong with it?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

what settings should i use for my videos that i'm uploading to youtube?

cause i just finished exporting a 17 minute video and it's 1.3 GIGS! :psyduck: it's not even full HD! it's only 720p! i added lots of effects and transitions, but they're all really basic stuff. nothing i would think would cause too much trouble with rendering or anything.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BonoMan posted:

1.3 gigs isn't huge or anything for a 17 minute video.

But what are you exporting out of? Premiere/Resolve/Etc all have YouTube presets to use.

premiere. the funny thing is, this is how big the file was when i was trying to keep things to a minimum. if i used the youtube presets for 720p, the file would be TWICE as big! :psyduck:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

hey guys. i use basic things like slide, push, gausian blurs, etc. for my videos very frequently, but i'm finding it very annoying to constantly have to type out each one of those effects in order to access them. is there a way to save effects and transitions and such into one folder?

also, since i'm here, do you guys have tips on how to streamline the editing process? currently, the videos i'm making, in the style i'm making them in, take about an hour per minute of video. sometimes more! so i'd really like some advice on how to make things speedier, even if it's by a little bit

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the_lion posted:

Uh, which editor are you using?

oh sorry, yeah i use premiere

quote:

If it's Premiere, what you probably want is Excalibur. You can set stuff to keys from memory. I was going to buy it personally, but we may be moving away from Premiere.

https://knightsoftheeditingtable.com/excalibur

wait, i have to buy a plugin for this kind of stuff? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

just want to vent immensely real quick cause i came to a sudden terrifying and rage inducing realization. i use adobe premiere and photoshop a lot and i've been on their monthly payment plan, which is like $60/mo. for all their programs. while it absolutely sucked not being able to outright buy their programs like you used to, i didn't think too much of it. until today while looking at their plans, when i came to the conclusion that i've been using it for almost FOUR YEARS now, which means i've spent almost $2,800! :psyduck:

adobe is full of blood sucking leeches :argh:

The Clap posted:

Yep, you can save any number of transitions to a custom folder in the Effects tab, I’m away from my computer at the moment but I think there’s a button with a folder and a plus sign on the Effects tab that will let you create a folder and from there you just drag effects into it. Mine at work is called “The Good poo poo”.

...oh. well that is indeed a very straightforward way to do things, haha!

quote:

The number one way to get faster is key bindings. Just force yourself to learn each of the different tools and then start using your keyboard to select them instead of browsing - it will be the combination of actually using all of the tools and using quick keystrokes to select them that will accelerate your work as you get better. I also create key binds for things like all of my different Label colors so I can quickly organize my timelines. I’m on Mac and the Ctrl button is rarely used so all of my labels are Ctrl + A and whatnot. My staff have caught on and do the same thing, it just makes sense.

Just keep working, you’ll get faster with time.

thanks! this should definitely help.