Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Hi! I have never posted in this forum before, I don't think. Do we sign our posts here?

Anyway, I mess with synthesizers, mostly badly, for fun, and lately am doing visual synthesis tied to audio streams. I've been using OBS to tie 2 video streams together with an audio stream, and it works okay but now that I've added a lovely AV to HDMI capture device, it does less well with that. I ordered an actual PCIe capture card, but I am still wondering what other software exists that might do what I am doing with more flexibility, if any?

This is an example of what I am doing, this is composed of a background image, 2 camera feeds and then an audio feed that's coming in from a DAC with USB out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0LfbEW_KAc

I don't give a poo poo about the streaming stuff OBS does. In this video the video output was captured from a webcam aimed at a projector screen, I want to get away from that and capture the raw video feed. I can go AV to HDMI easily enough, and I have a Elgato 4K60 Pro MK.2 capture card on the way to replace my lovely USB thing that came for free with some early 2000s video mixer I bought on ebay.

So -- is there something better than OBS for what I am doing, that would give me more flexibility and maybe more trivially tweakable encoding/capture/etc settings? If someone in a professional setting was trying to compose video this way, what application(s) might they be using?

I have been out of this world since using Premiere in college in 2004.

Thanks,

Cabbages & Kings (do we sign our posts here?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
video artists who understand the arcane arts of composite video frequencies are telling me that OBS is loving fine and my encoding settings suck