Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

1st AD posted:

Should I look into buying stock footage for this?

Yep.

If you need to pitch it to the client, explain that it would cost less to buy stock than to build in the extra hours needed to untangle the horrible mess left by production.

unless you were responsible for said mess in which case you eat the cost of the stock :)

also, if you can get releases, get lots of stills of the artwork in question and stretch that poo poo ken burns style

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Explain the cost/benefit analysis. It's cheaper for them to find a greenscreen and reshoot the scene than to pay you for an extra two days of VFX work. Especially when you tack on your "mental anguish" surcharge for having to tweak roto mattes until your eyes bleed.

Also, I can see the future. Get ready, I'm going to tell you the future.

After a contentious argument over budget in which the phrase "I thought you believed in this project" is employed at least three times, they will finally agree to reshoot. It will be a windy day, the camera will move between takes because they don't have enough sandbags, and the light will change completely in every take they give you because they don't have silks.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Ideally, you would still be doing this in two shots locked down on location, with a greenscreen behind the actors on set in one of the takes and the shopping cart plate for the other. You can't just slug elements you shot in your basement into an outdoor scene, at least not without a poo poo ton of extra post.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yeah, it's not the rental that's expensive, it's the G+E and time to rig it. especially if it's union.

also, I'm sorry but what on earth are you doing charging a flat rate per project? you are opening the door to exactly this sort of problem, especially if you haven't laid out the terms and deliverables explicitly in writing beforehand. Doing work within a set budget is fine, but it's important to at least define a day rate for overage.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 24, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Aputure makes some good, high-cri panels but those ones you linked are definitely not them. If you're using a light for anything but an accent, you really should be looking at 95+ CRI. Anything rated around the 85 range is likely a lot lower than that. What kind of scene are you actually shooting?

edit: yeah this is totally the wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

webmeister posted:

So I've been doing a bunch more videos about World Heritage sites (mentioned earlier up the page). I feel like I'm getting in a fairly good groove with them, and I've got a much better idea of what I need to do and say while on location. But I'm just wondering if anyone else has advice or recommendations? This is a recent video I did which I was pretty happy with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT0QngLe5R0

Would love to hear any feedback, positive or negative!

- Avoid script fonts in general, but especially for web delivery. If someone plays your video from a thumbnail they can't read poo poo.
- Audio is a tad wank in general. If you can't afford a zoom recorder like the other guy suggested, get a cheap lav mic for your cellphone and sync up in post.
- First shot has waaay too much headroom. Framing is decent otherwise.
- If you can bring a bounce card or a diffused LED light with you, it'll help a lot with shots like the one at 2:29. If not, turn around! You never want to shoot a subject in shadow against a window in full sunlight.
- Bed music is as generic as it gets. Try and find something a little more interesting or unique.
- Get more B-roll! You have a lot of opportunity for cool cutaways, take advantage of it.
- Your delivery and enthusiasm are great, keep it up!