Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Please help me, I'm at my wit's end!

Green screen. Resolve 18. Paid project (but not much!).

This puppet is giving me so much grief. Whatever I try it ends up looking awful.

- 3D Keyer on Edit tab: leaves ugly gray lines around both person and puppet that I can't get rid of (I believe because the puppet has a yellow "aura" around it? See pic)
- Delta keyer on Fusion tab: Person looks great, puppet is transparent in parts and no amount of fiddling looks good
- Tracking in Color tab: constantly misses parts, making it transparent

Is there anything I can do to make the green screen work quickly and efficiently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thanks, everyone! This was shot on Black Magic believe it or not. Oof yeah, all those extra steps and fiddling are definitely not worth what the pay is, but thankfully they realise their green screen problems and are getting rid of it and have kindly offered to give me another project without the green screen.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm using Fairlight in the free version of Davinci Resolve 17 and I am an absolute beginner. I have an audio track that I cut a section out and repasted it a handful of times to simulate a skipping record. I want to do a fade-out over all of the repeats. I've been struggling with this for two days and it seems that what I need to do is create a compound clip to merge all my cut and paste edits together. The problem is that the "Clip>New Compound Clip" is grayed out. Is that option only available in the paid version, or am I missing a step somewhere?

Why not render the cut out parts as a new audio, then import that in and fade it?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I really like Resolve

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Premiere can't do anything Resolve doesn't do, except maybe crash more

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

I started out with Hitfilm Express and am slowly moving towards Davinci Resolve. I'm not a professional editor by any means and never will be. Just a guy with a fledgling youtube channel using whatever is free to edit my videos. I never took any film classes in school nor had any other formal education in filmmaking. That being said, are there any good youtube channels that you can recommend that are on par with "film making for dummies" that I could use to make my videos a little better? I have no aspirations nor desire to become the next Kubrick or Ridley Scott. Just looking for some basic foundational material.

This is a fantastic channel for Resolve, and I've learnt a lot! Easy to follow and no messing around: https://www.youtube.com/@MrAlexTech

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've had no problems with Adobe Creative Cloud and I like how it easily installs and updates programs, but Premiere has been crash central for years whereas Resolve runs way better for me

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Any tips on how to quickly and perfectly match colors between two cameras in Resolve?

One is a Black Magic Pocket, so I've used the color... compressor? tool to change the input and gamma to the correct camera. I've then added a pocket 4k lut. The other camera is a Sony, and right clicking and matching the color really doesn't work well at all. I've fiddledwith them so they're kinda close, but grading isn't really in my wheel house.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

This link gives three ways, hopefully one works. Is all the footage shot in sRGB or raw?

BM is Raw, Sony is sRGB. I've tried the first method in that link already, but I'll have a little play about with method 2. Thanks!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Resolve makes handling proxies a breeze. If you're using the Resolve Proxy Generator it'll generate them quickly and easily and they're really small in size. Highly recommended

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MrAlexTech is your go-to man on YouTube for Resolve and you'll learn a TON very quickly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Do we sign our posts here?

No. No we do not