Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

mojo1701a posted:

I use FCP as if it were Avid (ie. not doing things like shoving all the footage on the timeline and seeing what sticks). I'm referring to more of the technical side.

I'm helping out a friend who's editor just bailed on him in the middle of production for a reality show pilot - when I opened up the FCP project, the timeline was a gigantic mess with clips on at least 10 video tracks, lots of 2-3 frame gaps with nothing in between, ripple transitions, out of sync audio and video, pointless speed effects (SLOOOOOOWMOOOOO for emphasis!), and probably a million other things that are horrible.

I love working in Final Cut Pro, but people out there don't seem to know how to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I would recommend transcoding all the clips to ProRes (LT or regular) before editing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If you want your cuts to be frame accurate at all, you should definitely transcode to ProRes or any similar intermediate format. Working in ProRes will let you use some effects and transitions in real time without rendering (such as color correction or cross dissolves). Hell, unless you have at least a quad core machine, I don't think you could even play DSLR video on your FCP timeline without rendering.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Has anyone set up a Compressor/Qmaster server before? I see old Powermac G5's running around for $200 and am tempted to set a couple up as clusters for rendering. Do you absolutely have to have a SAN to maximize their use, or can you just make sure that each cluster has a copy of all the media?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Oh in that case, I could probably get away with an iMac + 2 Macbook Pros then. For some reason I thought you needed towers with some kind of fibre channel RAID setup.

edit: vvvvv Yeah but I already have the laptops and iMac

1st AD fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 28, 2010

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I do event videography, mostly for the local clubs and some magazines, and for some reason I see legions of unpaid videographers sporting 7D's or 5D's with 50mm primes even when they're impractical. Everyone talks poo poo about my HMC40, but I've paid for it several times over in 9 months of usage, and after something like 30 shoots, I've had a grand total of 1 client complain about image quality.

I have access to 5DmkII's and a collection of fast primes, but they are really unwieldy to use in the types of shoots that are my bread and butter.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nothin' much

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Can't you just throw them into Adobe Media Encoder and transcode to MPEG? Or even better, if you have access to Toast you can transcode to Apple Intermediate Codec for use in iMovie.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Does anyone know what Facebook's bitrate cap is set at? I've tried uploading various flavors of SD and HD videos and it always looks like poo poo compared to the high-bitrate H264 video that I upload from.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

This will sound retarded, but goddamn where the hell has Color been all my life? Work is a bit slow at the moment so I just tagged along to one of my friends photo shoots, shot some video and really dove into Color's interface. Having RGB curves and secondaries with trackable masks really makes a difference in making as precise a grade as I want.

One question I have though, is there any way to transform a mask shape as a clip is moving, or to manipulate the distance from which it's anchored to your tracking point from frame to frame? I don't see any keyframe tools in the interface, and that would be helpful when I'm isolating a moving object like someone's face.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Excuse me sir, I make liberal use of the page peel, star wipe, and water ripple transitions, I'd like to see Griffith's editor do THAT :colbert:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Why not just get used to looking at the EVF + waveform/vectorscope?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Not sure about their consumer line, but Panasonic's prosumer AVCHD cameras all come with a Windows app that will convert AVCHD to DVCPROHD. And if you want to edit AVCHD natively, I think you need 4 or more cores to be able to do it in real time

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Ah yes, let me refer to Expertvillage for all my questions about the movie business.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

*starts with master shot*

So you want to be an editor?

*digitally crops the original image in closer*

Well I can tell you how to do it! In today's world all you need to start is your home computer and some footage.

*cuts to shot of things happening on a computer monitor*

*cuts back to the master*

*back to a closer image of an editing program*

*back to the master*

Hey, this isn't the RedLetterMedia reviews Episode 3 thread.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I have never been a 1stAD, in fact my name stands for something dumb that I came up with when I was a teenager and only later I realized it also had a real function in filmmaking.

I spent 16 hours setting up and moving and breaking down c-stands yesterday :(

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yep. There are no "cheap" MiniDV decks.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Why look for an HV20? If you go on Craigslist you can find all sorts of standard def MiniDV camcorders going for cheap.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is there a glitch in the way vignettes are rendered in Color? Every time I try to add them in the ColorFX room, they render with the vignette only (no alpha). Everything looks fine when I'm in the ColorFX room, but as soon as I navigate to a different clip and then nav back, I get the vignette only again. At that point I'll click on the vignette node and then the cycle repeats itself...

This is annoying because I think the vignettes in Color look way nicer than the ones in FCP, and I hate to render stuff in Color and then re-render in FCP.

edit: I had a chance to play with a friend's system with Colorista installed - why is this popular again? I find it much harder to work with the 3-way wheels in Colorista instead of using curves in Color, Premiere, or After Effects.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 19, 2011

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

:doh: I don't know why I didn't even think to do that - I always use custom shapes and trackers in the geometry room to apply to secondaries, but somehow just using it as a vignette never occurred to me.

I are dumb.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Honestly, I never go any higher than ProRes LT on footage that was originally from a DSLR or AVCHD camera. If there are benefits to 444 I've never been able to spot them in that type of footage.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/?heroNum=2

Two things:

1)Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle: A portable 10-bit HD-SDI or HDMI recorder for $345 (SSD not included)
2)DaVinci Resolve Lite will be free, available for download in July.

Holy poo poo why do people keep making things I want to buy :(

1st AD fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 11, 2011

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is there a Final Cut filter that emulates the effect of a graduated ND filter in Adobe Lightroom? Been taking a lot of still images with my SLR and that's the one tool I really wish had an equivalent.

I know in Color I could add a rectangular mask under secondaries and then apply a vignette to that, but I was looking for something I could play with within Final Cut without having to bounce the project to Color.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

:doh: Yeah I figured it would be something that simple, thanks!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Gunjin posted:

Also if you can learn any of the color grading or motion graphics software, those open more windows too. My personal project for this year is to teach myself Color.

I've heard that Apple is abandoning development of Color, so you might want to learn something like Resolve. I think the free version of Resolve comes out next month, so you can get your feet wet without spending cash on the software or the interfaces.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Are there any substantial under the hood changes to Compressor? It looks exactly the same, no UI overhaul or anything...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Anyone working with MC5 on Mac? I'm just diving in and trying to figure it out. Where can I change the display preferences? My primary monitor sits on the right and my secondary/preview display on the left, but Avid seems to default to the opposite. I've been trying to dig through the bin for the right setting, but everything is so alien to me right now.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah but I can't get the full screen preview to play on the other display, is there a way to route the output?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You want to import from file or whatever it's labeled - they changed all the terminology in this release, import from camera is what log and capture used to be.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

At the moment it seems to be geared towards people with really simple workflows (e.g. prosumers). Ignore the fact that you can't OMF or XML at the moment, what really bugs me is the inability to have multiple projects or sequences open at the same time. I'm sure the intention is for you to rely on metadata to manage your media and projects, but for me it totally messes with my ability to quickly deliver multiple videos with shared elements.

I guess I could just copy/paste, but a lot of my stuff is render heavy and in FCP7 I could render an element once and then nest it in multiple sequences.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah, if you still want to purchase FCP7 your only bet is to order it from some retailer and hope they have enough stock on hand.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't think any NLE will give you that kind of precision when it comes to audio - the smallest increment you can edit with is 1 frame. If you need more precision, you need to bounce your project to a dedicated audio editor.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is this video that's transcoded within FCPX? Because I have some clips that were ingested from FCP7 in a current FCPX project and they work in After Effects CS5. I also don't see any evidence that the clips were modified (going off the date modified field in Finder).

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Has anyone really dove into FCPX's interface? I'm using it on a small project right now and it is SUPER frustrating. I don't know how people can call this iMovie Pro - I would much rather be using iMovie!

The thing that confuses me is the whole "storyline" business. It looks like to get any kind of normal editing tools like ripple/roll you have to nest your clips in a storyline? How do I link multiple video/audio tracks into an existing storyline? Every time I try it just seems to displace things on the timeline.

And once I'm there, I'm still not sure how to toggle between slip/slide and ripple/roll.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Awesome, thanks!

Now for a different question - I have a client who wants content delivered over these: http://www.corndigital.com/products/digital_signage/ceres-88v.html

Thing is, I don't have access to a good MP4 or WMV9 encoder, so I'm scratching my brain as to how to deliver footage. I could do MPEG-2, but I'm not sure what bitrates would be optimal for 720p footage. Anyone have any ideas here?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Should I limit the bitrate/frame size on the h.264 before doing the passthrough? According to the MPEG-4 wiki the L5 profile has a max bitrate of 8000 kbits/s at an SD resolution.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The HV30's implementation of 24p is really atrocious and you shouldn't use it, and there are no flags set on the tape that tell your NLE what fields to throw away either. Not the same at all as the 24f mode on the XHA1.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 11, 2011

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

bassguitarhero posted:

Anyone have Compressor 4 and figure out how to put on JUST an H264 conversion? Compressor 3.5 had a great H264 for intranets/LAN preset but I have Compressor 3 & 4 at home, neither of which has that. I'd be happy sticking with 4 and just dropping on an H264 preset then changing it, but they removed the regular H264 preset as well. Right now I'm going to 4 to convert to PreRes 4444 for stuff out of after effects, then switching back to 3 to export to H264 to send to client. Ridonculous.

I just copied the settings from Compressor 3.5 as best I could: http://www.2shared.com/file/7P9y3cIT/H264_LANsetting.html

Just unzip, then drag and drop into your custom settings bin.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Ok, cool, well that's a little annoying. I was hoping to mix stuff from my D90 and camcorders and thought it would be easier than this. I'm really starting to feel for you video guys.

If you have After Effects you can remove the pulldown correctly without any extra plugins: http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?22711-After-Effects-24p-Pulldown-Removal-Easy-as-PIE!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Huh, apparently Compressor 4 will open Compressor 3.5 projects and render them. Not sure why you would want to do this since there's apparently no difference in performance between the two, but there you go.