Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Does anyone here use node based post production for video, or is that only used with cg too?

I usually use premiere to edit video. It's a mess, but it's all we've got in work and I dont do it often enough outside to get my own software...
Usually end up doing a lot of filmed internals - mixing our cg with their footage of a showroom.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I dont get to pick. Work has premiere, I use premiere. It's a pain in the arse but until it causes the office to catch fire, it wont be changed :(

I know you dont do editing with nodes - but the thread title does say post production too ;)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Anyone here tried lightworks yet? They're making it free and open source.

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

Our server is down for the morning in work so i'm giving it a go now :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

LividLiquid posted:

Edit: Whoa. Complicated. Can't even figure out how to open my timeline or tracks.

Theres a user guide on their site in the downloads section.

I've used it a little now and I really like it. Crashes quite a bit though, save continuously. Ridiculous amount of potential in it though.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Get one of these (or from any one of the other brands that make them), borrow one if you have to - https://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-Spyder5EXPRESS-Designed-Hobbyist-Photographers/dp/B00UBSL2TO
no monitor has good colors out of the box, but one of these will get you as close as the panel will let you. a regular consumer TV there's just no hope. use one as second monitor to reference but don't try and do all your work on it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I dont think any professional editing software can read or work with mkv's directly.

I would also vote for premiere for a first timer.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I use tga for 8bit sequences and .exr for 32bit/raw

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Mush Man posted:

Urgh. I kind of want to avoid breaking my source files into frames and re-adding the audio. gently caress, even Blender's cheap-rear end editor doesn't need me to do that. Appreciate the clarification though.

despite davinci being free it is made for serious color work, so they've never bothered to make it support formats that don't play nice with heavy color work.
The only packaged sequence formats it supports are stuff like proRES, mxf, r3d etc, but those are straight off the camera formats.

side note, we are currently working with some footage shot on red in 6k and I have to say it's the loving worst. it's amazing how lovely this container is and how difficult it is to display the information contained within it in a consistent way. Using their property hardware decoder for the format doesn't make it faster - it actually makes it cleaner, without it the footage is noisy as poo poo. it also feels slower than working with .dng sequences which is insane to me.
I have experience with footage from alexas and this is my first time working with red's and it is such a world of difference. it is so needlessly over complicated. We might have been given lovely footage, but the brightness/exposure/shadow/iso/gamma settings feel like they are acting on an unpredictable curve too, like they're affecting a source that has a profile over it before I see it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 22, 2017

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

landgrabber posted:

i was in an after effects discord for a while, but i got into a gigantic fight with an israel supporter.

If you're going to make your own politics important to the point where you argue with people who you feel are wrong, you should ready yourself for it happening more. It's a nomadic line of work.

It's best just to remind yourself that you're not going to change their mind, it's not worth loosing work over. I've seen it happen. I wouldn't get into work with someone I knew was a piece of poo poo but I've been mid job when I found out and you've just got to get it done and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
you need to interpret the footage so the frame rate matches the planned export & project frame rate. might be easier to open the gif back up for editing and save out frames, bringing it back into vegas as an image sequence.