Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We retired our SD Mojo today and found it had been weeping silently in the corner for who knows how long. Poor guy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You should really know both.
I usually work in reality TV and all that's ever been for me is Avid, but then I've never done anyone's music video or short film without FCP.
Both are prevalent enough that you'd be cutting yourself out of a lot of opportunities to just learn one.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I guess its the legacy of the 30-50yo editors there and I'm not sure, but sharing a central raid for projects and media between suites might suit Avid more.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

FCPX, Motion and Compressor are up now on the app store.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/
Anyone willing to take the plunge and report back on it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

All I want to do with it is set up a bedroom operation for music videos, so I'm still excited.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just came in to work to find our grading CRT swapped for this

OLED :swoon:
I'm gonna bring in my PS3 tomorrow night and watch some blurays on this thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 3, 2011

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

Does anyone have some advice on getting rid of the moire that's screwing up this shot (right around 0:50)? It's a line-drawing given to me by an artist, so I'm not sure how best to deal with it.

I brought it into After Effects, did a lossless render, and I don't see the moire in FCP or the quicktime file when I export it, but I get it when I compress it. I've tried putting some blur on image to try to fix it, but that didn't work either. I know it's the thinness of the lines but I'm not sure on the best way to proceed to knock it out.

http://vimeo.com/33408938

Did you shrink the resolution during compression? It might be resizing without interpolation.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Anyone know of a Premiere plugin that will give me the effect that the last.fm player puts over its art? I dont know how to describe it, but heres an example.

Be careful. If anyone views it with any large amount of compression, like on Youtube, the hashing will probably just smear.
And if it's viewed downsampled from the native resolution it'll moire like nuts.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You could try Lightworks.
http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

I don't know how robust it is in the free beta, but in previous incarnations it was used commercially in TV and Film production.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yo. A little bit of Avid help, if you please.
I've got backups of cards for a show for AMA consolidation and all that. I'm fine with what to do regularly, but I've got a few instances of files split over multiple cards and I can't figure out how to get Avid to read the whole split take as one.
For example, Card 12 will have 'SHOT123_01', Card 13 will have 'SHOT123_02'-'SHOT123_04' and Card 13 will have 'SHOT123_05'.
When loading the AMA from the first card only that part will show up. 6 minutes out of a 40min take. The parts of SHOT123 will not access on their own, so I can't even build it out of three or five chunks.

Anyone know what to do to get this to load in as a single file?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Post supervisor just told me to put all the AMA'ed parts in one bin first, then they'll consolidate as one. I haven't tried it yet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chitin posted:

The thought occurred to me but it's a classical music concert and these people are nigh supernatural in their ability to notice stuff like that.

Would it be possible to stretch 24p video out an average of 1fps through frame interpolation then sync it up to unaltered audio in pal?
Hopefully it can work without something eventually noticeable happening exactly once per second.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 20, 2012

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What's everyone's opinions on showreels for editing?
Sure, making a montage of stuff to music shows of some degree of skill, but I don't think it tells anyone as much about your appropriate editing skill as a series of actual clips.

What I have is a handful of music videos directed/shot/edited by me and promos for TV shows. Setting cool shots from the videos to music would show me off as a director, but then there's no way to really include the promos and I'd rather show off all my roles working together.

I was thinking something I could do would be a mock TV thing where each video is a channel being flipped through and in between is where the ads could go, but that could be loving cheesy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Moon Potato posted:

Who are your clients? Layfolk who need a video made will have a much higher cheese threshold than directors/producers who are looking for an editor.

It's for a "Trainee Creative Producer" position at a TV station's ad department. I think the commercials are mostly internal promotion for the station, which is why I want to include an example of my TV promos.