Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
I used to have an up to date printout up on the wall at work detailing which version of quicktime goes with which version of avid and I doubt such a thing will ever become useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
Or rather scale up the clip so you dont have to crop to a nonstandard resolution in export

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
Gaming series RAM? Consumer GPU? Just buy an iMac or something if youre going to use stuff like that anyway

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Megasabin posted:

I understand more now. That was helpful. Thank you. I don't really have time to do that duplicate trick with 100 different clips.
You can select multiple clips at once and copy past effects to them.

Megasabin posted:

I tried fooling around with scaling. I could eliminate the black bars in almost every clip by unlinking the scaling, and then scaling only the height by 35%. It actually doesn't look bad. I'm not sure how noticeable the vertical stretch would be on the final product.
Dont do this. People are going to hate you for it.

You can also delete blank spaces. Like, select the empty point between two clips and hit delete, this will make everything move left by the exact amount you want it to. An alternative is the "select everything right of the cursor", that three-arrow-thing, default shortcut is A.

Ripple edit will probably just confuse you at this point, lol

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
Get a 30 day trial version of anydvd or something and just open the discs in premiere and transcode the parts you need

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
you can apply effects to clips before you even put them in any timeline, just open the clip in the preview monitor & drag the transform effect onto either the preview monitor or the effect editor

its better to do this manually by shot in the timeline if any cropping is involved tho imo

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
instead of proxy clips you could also reencode them to something less taxing on hardware like prores, that way you could still do cc

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
yeah, id just do the 30 day trial of adobe media encoder, just to see if this works. dnxhr seems like the right choice for windows systems. ffmpeg would probably work too, though really i never use it for anything other than h264 as it cant even push out an op1a file comforming to avids expectations, no matter how exact you are with the parameters

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
like in mv for muse - unintended, right? thats time displacement in ae, but im sure theres lots of plugins as well

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
that seems kind of odd, dv is like the easiest video format to edit digitally. did davinci seriously mess up there? i dont really know that much about resolve but any nle post 1998 really should have a simple preset to interpret the various dv standards easily

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

EvilElmo posted:

I've decided I'll start to do some vlog style videos (for myself, not for YT/TT) to practice my editing and storyboarding/telling.

Does anyone have any recommended videos or sites for tips/advice on daily vlogging?

many film students get their first practical experiences filming one of these:

try editing the marble going down the slide using a bunch of different camera angles. you really get to be creative and find out what works & what doesnt

if you dont have access to this one weird toy, how about something mundane with a lot of intricate steps - like making coffee, putting on a shirt or anything really

vlogging isnt something you need a lot of practice with cause youre just filming a face all the time with jump cuts, theres not that much room to grow there

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
Oof, that looks like someone touched the lens, what was this shot on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
most effects packs like saphire or boris will have something similar in their transitions, usually called "flutter cut". you could prolly set that one up to look similar. tbh the whole expressions thing seems like the easiest, most controllable way to get this tho. but be careful, rapid flashing stuff has become uncommon these days because of epilepsy and stuff