Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I've almost certainly had it confirmed that I'll be getting 3 years of PhD funding starting September :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
One of the main collaborators with the lab where I'm doing my grad work is coming to visit next week, and my boss wants me to sit in on a meeting with them and a couple of the senior grads, and maybe even present a few slides on what I've done lately!

I'm important yaaaay :unsmith:

A Kimbasaur
Jul 13, 2010
Last week I posted in the other thread about this baby python that would bite me (and others) any time we would reach in to grab his water bowl.

Today, we sold him. No more handling Mr. Mean Snake for me!

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Got a call for a job interview tomorrow afternoon. I've already had two interviews this week. Granted they're for unimpressive summer retail positions, but jesus I just want to stop working at Dunkin Donuts.

Also it's been a year to the day since I started living on my own and I've been pretty successful to that end. I'm very happy about that.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009
It's payday and payday is always awesome!

Today I'm going to go home, pour myself some bourbon and watch hockey with my cat. No bills due, no place I have to be and it is my first night with my new bed where my sleep will not be interrupted by an alarm clock.

It's the simple things that make life so drat wonderful sometimes.

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
Woke up feeling great.
Then I went to an estate sale and found some amazing silver-on-copper tea and serving pieces I don't yet have. I got six pieces including teapot for $50.
Then I went to the museum and got to see a ton of little kids excited about learning stuff.
Then I had a great conversation with a guy who owns an antique map store.
Then my favorite bookstore had all the latest books I wanted for $5 each.
Then I went home and smoked a joint in my backyard.
Then my husband checked the mail and found out the bank's lowering our mortgage payments by $70/month, plus refunding us an extra thousand for overpayments we didn't even know we'd made.
Then our pit bull and our new kitten finally met face-to-face and they've been inseparable ever since. The dog grooms the cat and the cat snuggles with the dog. It's the cutest thing I have ever seen, and my dog has been wanting a tiny cat friend for the longest time. I have never seen the dog happier.
Tomorrow I'm going camping next to 2,000-year-old pictographs.

Life is pretty sweet.

AltoidsAddict has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Apr 16, 2011

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay
I spent all morning cleaning my apartment and doing laundry, all while listening to awesome music. Now I'm all motivated to start (and probably finish) a huge paper that's worth a good portion of my grade for one of my classes. I'm going to convince the world that Gruzenberg's memoir is truest to the essence of Imperial Russia.

Like a loving boss :c00lbert:

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

The 25 pounds I lost were found by my ex :toot:

I am a bitter and lonely man

llbdtiberio
Mar 27, 2010
Came home after a week visiting the parents, love flying so that was fun. My suitcase was filled with 6 bottles of Absolut Vodka Citron and chocolate and I even got a free upgrade on the flight! Even better, when I came home a letter was waiting for me from the NHS to confirm an appointment at the hospital for a test scheduled in a week when I was expecting at least 3 months waiting.

Edit: Genki Sudo/World Order is playing on my stereo, now my day is truly awesome!

llbdtiberio has a new favorite as of 00:22 on Apr 17, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Amorphous Blob posted:

Is this pounds as in weight or pounds as in money? I keep changing my mind on which it is.

Remembered a very good, very cheap soup recipe for my slow cooker. Four meals for $10 here I come!

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
^^^I think that he meant that his ex started to get fat. But hey, it's always great when they are worse off without you.

I just registered for commencement for my Bachelor degree. Also, the graduation ceremony is two days after my birthday. On top of that, these last four classes are going to be a freakin' cake-walk. Awesome.

Walk Away has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Apr 17, 2011

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
I just registered a seat for this years STRINGS public lectures. Stephen Hawking will be there with like 100 other super smart people, which is very nerdy but so cool. Almost like a rock concert. I bet they won't let me in because I look like a hobo, but I shall be happy until that day arrives! Precious Ssssstrings. Mmmmm... Strings.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

C-Euro posted:

Is this pounds as in weight or pounds as in money? I keep changing my mind on which it is.

I meant weight.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
My current neighbors have been a nightmare. They stole my husband's car, slashed the tires on our other two cars, and have generally been a pain. We've been apartment hunting for quite a while, and we finally found this really gorgeous place and put part of the down payment down today.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
My job is finally beginning to reap benefits aside from the lovely paycheck every two weeks.

Two weeks ago I got a 32" hd sony tv for 200 dollars. Not the best tv, but I was rocking an old rear end tube before and this is such a huge improvement.

Today, I got the latest gen Kindle for 100. All I need is the usb cable which will cost me 1-10 dollars depending on how impatient I am. I wish they would let me work more hours though. I could have gotten that thing for 80.

Really don't care that much though. I've wanted a Kindle for so long and now I have one. I am so damned happy. There is not a bookstore anywhere near me, so this will be awesome.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
My university had a big community event today where the entire campus was filled with booths and activities. It happens every year but I had only been once before and been miserable. I went with some friends and had such an amazing time. I did some sake bombs, walked around and just enjoyed being with awesome people in awesome weather. And to top it all off, I went to my best friends place and played video games for a while before we got dinner and just hung out for a while.

I don't think days get better than this! :)

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I got my acceptance letter for grad school today and also signed a lease for a great 2/2 apartment with 1025 square feet and hardwood floors. I'd been on the hunt for weeks for a sizable apartment with uncarpeted floors within my budget, so I'm pretty enthused. :)

Oh, and I finally upgraded my ancient 27" tube TV with a pretty awesome 46" LCD. Yay HD!

Kerafyrm has a new favorite as of 06:18 on Apr 17, 2011

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
After a week of it glitching out for no apparent reason, my install of Baldur's Gate II works again :dance: No more Two Worlds for me!

EDIT: I was pretty bummed that I have to proctor an exam on Tuesday, but I just got my room assignment and I have a big crush on the AI who I'm paired up with :3:

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Apr 18, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I was getting a bunch of bitchy calls at my campus tech support job today, but then motherfucking Eboo Patel called to get his laptop working on our network, and he was super patient and nice. Totally made up for the rest of the calls and then some.

EDIT: Oh, and my roomie found an apartment for $1200 a month, 2 bedroom, 5 closets, 1 bathroom, full kitchen, dining room, living room w/fireplace and sun room, recently remodeled. We're splitting it between four people too, so it should be super cheap.

A Fancy 400 lbs has a new favorite as of 23:21 on Apr 18, 2011

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I recently got a new job which has helped out with my financial problems quite a bit. I've been paying all my bills on time and been able to save a few hundred bucks every paycheck. I just found out today that I'm getting a new job (same company) with about a 25% raise. I will be buying a nice bottle of whiskey to celebrate.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I was getting a bunch of bitchy calls at my campus tech support job today, but then motherfucking Eboo Patel called to get his laptop working on our network, and he was super patient and nice. Totally made up for the rest of the calls and then some.

EDIT: Oh, and my roomie found an apartment for $1200 a month, 2 bedroom, 5 closets, 1 bathroom, full kitchen, dining room, living room w/fireplace and sun room, recently remodeled. We're splitting it between four people too, so it should be super cheap.

Sharing bedrooms. :barf:

Today I found out that my finals aren't tightly packed together as I had thought, but spaced out rather nicely. Also got invited to hang out with friends on Wednesday. Also had an awesome hour long phone conversation with my mom, and she rocks. :)

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
My day was awesome because I had a project manager calling me asking for a status update on a project to build a small dynamic sales portal and he doesn't understand this poo poo takes time.

I was able to duck out and go listen to a lecture from one of the Hadoop developers for a few hours; I have nothing to do with this project and have never used it, but I know the guy who was running it. Had my status set to "in meeting" until I left for the day. Awesome.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

Sharing bedrooms. :barf:

$300 a month rent negates any non-awesomeness of bedroom sharing.

GiggidyGoop
Jul 21, 2009
Got to do an hour of voice acting for a videogame. A good one!

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart

Amorphous Blob posted:

This is awesome, and reminds me that the same will probably happen to my ex in the next couple of months via eating tacos and drinking Starbucks like a ritual. Meanwhile I'm in the gym beasting it up. Yup.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally got the drat calculations for my Computational Chem project to run. I had to do it on our in-house machine and not the big supercomputer here on campus, but the stuff I'm looking at is small enough where it's a non-issue.

GiggidyGoop posted:

Cool, which one?

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I'm on week three of my month trial at a local Curves (ladies-only gym), looking to tone things up a bit. I'm not sure if it's helping but I sure feel a hell of a lot better about myself.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
This is the lamest reason ever..

After years of being too exhausted to go to school regularly and having to switch to part-time, I managed to go to all my classes today. Today was my longest day of the week, with classes from noon till 7 straight. Before I finally got my fatigue diagnosed, I never would've made it past 2 pm without ditching and going to bed. :) Today I made it through the whole day.

It might sound minor but at the end of classes, I was so insanely happy to feel like a normal, functioning student. :)

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

Amorphous Blob posted:

I think I might have accidentally stumbled across a couple of these in the last few months.

My day was awesome because I've been worried as hell about getting some blood test results back which might explain why I've been so exhausted recently and put on some weight, amongst other things, but today I got my rear end back in the gym after more than a week off. It doesn't matter if there's a medical reason for it, I'm getting back in the correct mindset. gently caress you fat.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Because justice has prevailed.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

GiggidyGoop posted:

Hey, congrats! The game I did voices for recently was released, and I saw today that we got some good reviews on the voice acting! (we got a few mediocre ones too, but I am focusing on the positive)

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Found out how ridiculously easy, fast and cheap it is to make your own burgers, eliminating the need to go to lovely fast food places to indulge my urges. Truly a giant step for mankind.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I read the previous post, remembered I have a George Foreman my sister sold me last year, and now know what I'm going to have for dinner tomorrow!
Need to get buns though :(

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.
because its April 20 ;)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Found out how ridiculously easy, fast and cheap it is to make your own burgers, eliminating the need to go to lovely fast food places to indulge my urges. Truly a giant step for mankind.

Go post in the Bachelor thread, especially if you've got some innovative tip for making better burgers. My girlfirend has been teaching me to make awesome pizzas, which brightens my day every time we do it.

I made my first solo awesome pizza at home the other night, it was delicious but way too small. That made my day awesome and lovely at the same time.

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!
First day at a new job that I can already tell is going to kick rear end.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I got a letter from my pal who's finally almost done with his basic training :3:

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
I went to the college I want to go to, got my whole college planned out, and had a belated birthday dinner with a good friend who also happens to be very attractive :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
-Exam grading got pushed back to Monday, so I can take Friday afternoon off to drive and see my girlfriend this weekend.

-Got an A on my 2nd Spectroscopy midterm, so I'm on track for an A in that class provided I write a decent final report.

-Today during our final review my Computational Chem professor said "95% of the people who take this class get at least a B, so don't worry". Also got the computations for my project therein to finally work like I want them to.

-The combination of those last two bulletpoints means that I'll be off academic probation after this term :dance:

-AT&T coming to fix my cable finally (or at least they're supposed to)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
The $120 Sony headphones with the earcup that broke after a vacuuming related fall? Crazy glued them, the bond is perfect. Spent $3 to save $120 + tax and grief.