Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Black Stones posted:

One area of my mount was killing me for weeks and it got to the point where I couldn’t eat anything solid on that side of my mouth. I knew I had a chipped tooth and had an appointment for November to get it fixed, but I called in on Wednesday because it hurt so much and they had a cancellation for Thursday so I went in to see if that what was causing so much pain. Turns out it was because food basically would just jam itself into the tooth and brushing/rinsing wasn’t effective and it would just inflame my gums as well.

Took 45 minutes to fix but they got it, and today my mouth feels fine and I can eat normally again and it only cost my 50$ with my works insurance paying for the bulk of it (at least my crummy retail job has amazing insurance. Also in Canada so I’m assuming that helps too). I feel so much better.

Dental stuff is awful, I’m glad you got it sorted out. Seconding the water-pick advice from above. You can get one from Shoppers for $30 I think and your mouth will feel permanently fabulous. I have a few crowns that snuggle up against adjacent teeth in floss-hostile ways and it was a game changer.

My day was awesome because my depression treatments are working so I got to spend my day off taking a pile of crap to the electronics recycler and general donation places, and the basement is much nicer to be in now. Much better than a month ago when every hour not spent at work was in bed feeling like the universe’s rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Katamari Democracy posted:

I never really dated and I am 33 years old. But my heart is telling me she is someone special and we both really like each other. So I am very happy.

This is so wonderful! I’m smiling like a moron reading this post.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Our kids were bummed that trick or treating was cancelled this year, but one of our neighbours organized a nicely-distanced block party with reverse t-or-t (bins for each kid left on porches and we each took candy around during the day) and a kids’ costume parade. I met so many neighbours and they don’t seem mad that it took 4 years of living here to do so!

The kids were so happy and it was such a good time. I hope we do it again next year.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For a little while we were living in a small apartment and our kid was coming home with drawings every day, so I’d take a picture of them and print them 4-up or so to put on the fridge. She’d pick her favourite ones each week to be printed and they’d go up for the next week, and the originals went in a banker’s box for I guess some sort of posterity. My ex has the boxes somewhere, I’m sure.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kidney Stone posted:

Got approved to start education as a carer for the elderly.

Congratulations, and as a somewhat older goon thank you.

Please take care of your own emotional health in your new career. My girlfriend works with a lot of elderly patients at a rehab hospital (physical/occupational, not addiction) and their caregivers often bear a considerable burden. You’re important and valuable too!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bad sugarpop habit posted:

I've been dealing with gender stuff for a loooong time now, mostly subconsciously, but lockdown and other personal stressors this past year pushed a lot of those feelings to the forefront and I had a lot of breakthroughs and realizations.

I talked to my wife about it a couple weeks ago and while I didn't expect her to be a dick about it or anything I was kind of unprepared for how amazing and supportive she's been - buying me outfits, talking about stuff, helping me navigate our insurance to find therapists, she's absolutely gone above and beyond in basically every possible way.

Last night I mentioned that our actual marriage felt better than ever and she just laughed and said "it's because you're not so miserable all the time anymore!" And, yeah, I guess I'm not! Life is okay, and I feel pretty good about it!

:3:

This is so wonderful!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sounds like you underestimated your league! Congrats, rear end-kicker!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inceltown posted:

One of the few people out there who vaccines actually fucks over and she still takes it like a champ. Tell your wife that at least one random dude on the internet thinks she's a hero.

Two random dudes at least!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter had her pre-K orientation today and I can't stop crying

It's awesome and so sweet but also when the gently caress did this happen

I’m walking my daughter to her first day of high school next Thursday, and I’m right there with you. Where did my baby go?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That looks fabulous. Congratulations!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I am in Toronto and love beer! Careful what you wish for!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I had a conversation with my CEO today where I told him what about his leadership style was causing problems for me and he said he’d would take it up with his coach to see how he could improve on it. I am cautiously optimistic that things will improve for me on the basis of this. Please let me retain hope.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cynicus posted:

my girlfriend proposed to me today. :)

I brought my Drake posted:

Also got a one-time bonus from my first job and was responsible with 2/3 of it and irresponsible with the other third. First time this year I've had real spending money and it feels good.

Biplane posted:

I managed to move out of my small, terrible, spider-filled basement apartment with 1 bedroom and into a bigger and better THIRD floor apartment with TWO bedrooms! And no spiders!!!

This is a lot of awesome! Thanks to all of you for sharing it with us, it really made me smile.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bad sugarpop habit posted:

I came out to my family and everyone was supportive and fantastic and there was no disowning or going no-contact involved.

I’m so happy for you! It’s great that your family supports you that way. Yay!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My wife's baby cousin is dodging russian conscription to move in with us and it slaps, he's fascinated by the loving Frankfurt airport and has never left central Siberia except for once and he's my low key goon gaming bff dweeb buddy and he's safely on a plane to here now and I want to hug him so bad

yesssssss

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My sister, who I hadn’t seen in 2 years because of COVID travel restrictions and similar, has been staying with us for the past month. It’s been so nice to have her here and give hugs and make fun of her.

My ex-wife joined us (me, my sister, my daughter, my fiancée, and her daughter) for Easter dinner last night and we had a lovely time. When I was walking her home, she said that my fiancée and I had created a lovely life together and that she was happy for us. I have a lot of respect (and fondness) for my ex-wife, so that really meant a lot to me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wrote a message to a team that I felt was off-course, guiding them to where I thought they needed to be and telling them my reasoning, and one of my manager’s peers described it as “a great leadership moment” and shared it with his teams. I’ve only been in this job for 2 months and I’ve been thrown into some tense situations, so it’s nice to hear that I’m doing some good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This is actually from a few days ago, but I, uh. I guess I have a girlfriend now. :blush: I've been single for the better part of a decade. Wish me luck.

:3:

Love is wonderful—good luck!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are you going to need to switch kibble too?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Had a nice walk to meet with a minister who is building a network for community support: local businesses chipping in a dress/hair/dinner for prom for a teen girl in a shelter, or grocery/meal vouchers, whatever’s needed. She’s now working on this full-time and is expanding it to other communities; they’ve put $300K of direct aid through this makeshift system over the last few years and made a big difference for people.

I’m going to be working with her to get a software system rebuilt so she can scale the program out to 25 communities in the next 5 years. (I think we can do more if the software helps enough.) It feels really good to be able to use my computer-touching and people-herding skills for a really good cause. Going to get a plan together and rally local nerds to help build it out.

There’s an opportunity for her to get some big help (national grocery chains, for example) but she can’t manage a much bigger program with her current tools. Could be a really wonderful thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Congrats, that’s huge!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taeke posted:

Thanks! Assisted living/social work/foster work for vulnerable children/teens, usually with a bunch of issues. Pretty much all of them have at least a form of trauma and attachment disorders as a result of their situation, but many also have to deal with adhd, autism and other behavioral/developmental issues. So yeah, super rewarding work that absolutely requires a bunch of certificates and degrees and poo poo for obvious reasons (at least here in western Europe, I know things are different in other parts of the world.)

To have outsiders recognize I'm good at my job feels so loving good. I haven't felt this good in years.

Bless you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocaine Bear posted:

On the whole, my day was poo poo. But around noon my ceo sent out an update email with an excel sheet in it. Only problem is he sent the wrong sheet out! What did he inadvertently send everyone a level below VP? The base pay and bonus pay out for all the VPs and C level assholes. Going to make my next raise negotiation a lot more fun!

This is amazing. If I got salaries.xslx from my CEO I would assume it was a phishing attempt and report it, I think.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Killingyouguy! posted:

I had a bilateral salpingectomy today (it's like getting your tubes tied except they completely remove the fallopian tubes rather than clamp or cut them) and even though I was nervous literally everyone I interacted with at the hospital was SO nice, and other than a sore throat from the intubation I'm experiencing basically no pain, and I am so thankful for all the staff at the hospital and my doctor for being on my side and putting out dozens of reqs to find a hospital that'd do it and that the whole procedure was covered by our health care system and my boyfriend for getting up at 4am with me so he could be there the whole time and taking care of me as I drift in and out of sleep all afternoon and that I never have to worry about being pregnant ever again

happy for you!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Offhandedly went gently caress it and bought a scratch off ticket today while buying my real prize, garden salsa sun chips and a French vanilla cappuccino from a lovely gas station machine

Just scratched it off with my niece

We got one of the few top prizes

Like top top prize

200,000 loving United States Dollars prize

That’s going in my kids trust fund not to me but like peaches in paradise am I dead and having a fever dream

Congratulations! That’s amazing and I hope it brings you comfort and joy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dick Trauma posted:

CART
:cool:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve been fighting with depression and my ADHD for the past few weeks and it was really starting to interfere with my work (my manager wanted to meet about my “engagement level”, which was terrifying). I managed to get my regular/maintenance ketamine infusion bumped up a month, and my psychiatrist thinks a bit of a dosage change will help. So far I’m doing a lot better today, even with the necessary adjustment to the new dosage. I’ve had some bad, couldn’t-work-for-many-months episodes in the past so I am very glad that I was able to head this one off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s excellent, I’m very happy for you!