Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Over the past two days I've written 9300 words for a fiction project I dreamed up last week. It's exciting to finally feel inspired after so long without, and I have high hopes for this whole thing to succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I spent several hours walking around Frankfurt, Munich, and Garmisch-Partenkirchen today. My feet (and knees) are worn out but my fitness tracker loves me!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I woke up to a raging thunderstorm, hearing it echo off of all the surrounding mountains. A really beautiful way to wake up (even at 4am)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I just wrote the ending for a small fiction story arc I've been writing, and after 50 pages I can say I'm satisfied with the results.

It feels really weird to be "done" with the project, particularly because I'm releasing chapters as episodic content and the whole thing won't be out for another ~7 months.

Now on to the next project!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I managed to get through two DuoLingo Russian practice sessions without having to stop and look up words. Helped make up for the rest of the day.

Великий!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Thin Privilege posted:

класно!

может быть ми поговорим по русскому

не кто не будет знать наши поговори

Sadly the only words I understand in the above are "Russian" and "no/not" (I'm really, really early in my studies).

I can say "Нет, этот мульчей не ест радио" at least, but that really doesn't come up in conversation (I hope)

Edit: I did just start posting in the Russian Language thread also, at least

FreshFeesh has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Oct 22, 2017

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Not only was I able to solve a technical issue that had plagued me for over a month, my blog post about the solution was read and commented on by a security researcher. Made me feel smart, and hopefully other people will find my solution and use it as well.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Someone whose own creative works inspired me to start writing again asked for a link to my stories and where they should start reading. I'm blown away!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I got more writing done today, and received some great feedback on new blog posts. Feels good to have responses, particularly helpful ones.

Edit: And then even more writing, about very different topics. Inspiration has been good to me these past few days.

FreshFeesh has a new favorite as of 09:44 on Nov 26, 2017

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Someone whose creative works I really respect just responded to me about a piece of writing I shared with them some time back:

quote:

I just read the piece you shared with me and I so thoroughly enjoyed it! You are such a talented writer!

They went on to quote the piece and pick out a few lines they especially enjoyed. I am simply floored!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I received more positive feedback about my writing, this time for some non-fiction work I've posted. Really makes me feel good that people are enjoying my creations!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Dick Trauma posted:

300 workouts so far for 2017. I don't how my parts haven't fallen off yet.

Having read your old TFLC logs, that's really, really awesome to hear, man.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Didn't get fired! Hoping to pull off a strong weekend of sleeping and writing to make up for the stresses of these past few weeks.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I started a small rant about how little writing I felt I was producing, when I looked back on all of the essays and reports I did in college and realized that, just as a hobby, I'm putting out 50%+ more words than I did back then.

Things are actually looking up, I realize, and it made for a really good, self-reflective evening.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I had a very productive writing weekend, cranked out a much more story. Tomorrow I revamp my website to make posts easier to find.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Playing Quake Champions, there's a character who mutters Russian phrases now and again. For the first time, tonight I actually started picking out a word here and there that I recognized from my studies.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
This morning started with me being invited to speak at a small local conference, continued with an actually good sales presentation, and concluded with me writing a surprising number of words about authorship and writing itself. Other than my wife being sick, today was a really drat good day.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I found some old writing content of mine that was actually good enough to re-post on my blog. Stories about inspirational teachers, my first few outings on a motorcycle, and even some not-quite-terrible fiction. There may be a lot of other things on my plate, but I feel good about scheduling more content.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I know most of my posts in this thread are about writing, and this one is no different, but today I'm having a very good mental health day. I feel confident about my writing, I'm feeling good about how much content I've created, and I look forward to what else might come next. It's rare that I've had a day like this, so I'm especially glad to remark on it.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I had a really hard talk with a friend that went surprisingly well. I even found some writing inspiration afterward, which has been sorely lacking of late.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Saw my therapist for the fist time in ~6 months today. A short session, but I'm getting back on a regular schedule and am hoping to work through some of my issues in the coming months.

Oh yeah, and more writing – it feels genuinely good to create something.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

funmanguy posted:

I've been clean for 5 loving years.

:boom::clint::discourse:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
It's 2am and I'm dead tired, but I feel like I accomplished a lot tonight. Made real progress on some personal and professional projects and even added another small chapter to a story I'm writing.

Best part is the feeling that I'm going to kick tomorrow's rear end!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Picnic Princess posted:

Today I learned about an expedition to relay snorkel the Northwest Passage and teach Inuit children marine biology and ROV building. I met and spoke with the expedition leader and I've decided to join the 2020 expedition.

Brace yourself bitches, I'm going snorkeling in the Canadian Arctic.

omg. Post what happens please.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A podcast I really enjoy enjoy (History is Sexy) referenced me by name in their latest episode, and their next will be centered around a question I asked, both of which make me very excited after a long work week.

I'm taking the whole of next week off of work and will hopefully spend a truly inordinate amount of my vacation writing new content for either my book or my short story blog.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The second day of my vacation is going great – last night I played water polo for the first time in about 15 years, woke up not nearly as sore as I feared, and sat in an enclosed patio while pouring rain hammered the roof, writing and drinking hot cocoa.

Now I'm about to listen to a talk given by Capt. Scott Kelly (who spent 340 continuous days in space), which is really going to be a highlight of the week.

Today has been a really good day.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Today I wrote a quick guide on how to explore the game of HackMud after the tutorial, and my little announcement on Twitter has garnered the attention and retweets of several of the developers, easily making it one of my most-viewed posts in just a few short hours.

That makes me feel really good about all of my writing in general, not only this one-off piece.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Every few days I post a few pages of fiction content on my personal blog, usually centered around a few ongoing story arcs. At this point I've written enough content that I have regular posts scheduled all the way through April of 2019, and while I never expected to have that kind of volume, I realized recently that one of my story arcs (one that hasn't even started posting) has crossed the 100 page mark and is looking a lot more like a cohesive novella than a simple collection of blog posts.

This evening I tracked down the Media Contact for the company whose IP the story takes place in and nerve-wrackingly wrote them to introduce myself and the idea of working with them to write a full-fledged novel in that universe. I'm trying not to expect the world, but I think I'd be happy with a personalized response of any kind. I think the fact that I a) have created the content at all, and b) actually took steps to try and get it released into the wild, show a lot of growth from where I was just a few months ago.

Now I'm filled with anxious energy and can't fall asleep, but I feel like today was a really big step forward, and something I hope I can build on.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I realized tonight that a novella I'm working on has hit the 35,000 word mark and there's plenty more story to tell. Every time I hit a new milestone I'm blown away that this is something I myself am crafting.

Now if only the publisher would respond to my emails!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Someone gave me a very sincere compliment first thing this morning and it truly made my whole day.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I redesigned my website/blog this week and have gotten good feedback about the changes, as well as new readers remarking they like the content.

Both made me feel very successful about how this week has gone.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
After something of a dry spell I was randomly inspired to write a short piece tonight, presented from a new perspective for me. I'm glad for how it came out, and I'm hoping for a positive reception. A good way to finish off a good start to the week.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I'm starting to sound like a broken record but after not being inspired for a bit, I sat down and hammered out over 9,000 words on a brand-new story arc. Some of my older projects have fallen by the wayside (not having heard back from the publisher stinks), but I'm glad to be enthusiastic about new material.

It really brightened up my day today to realize I've been so prolific of late.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Serious good feelings in this thread!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
It feels really good, when practicing a foreign language, when I can finally correctly spell longer words like "спакойной" and "пажолуйста" correctly the first time around without hints. Those sneaky йs usually get me.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Tonight I hit nine straight months (270 days) of learning and practicing Russian daily. It amazes me to look at how far I've come, and I try not to think about how far I have yet to go. Onward and upward!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Thin Privilege posted:

привет, по моему я вас видела в форум дла Русскова язика. Классно что каждий день ви большее понимаете язик. Ура Путин! (я шуцаю)

Some day I'll get to the point where I don't need Google Translate for this. Some day :)

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I just had a very nice end-of-week lunch with my best friend, and was able to talk her through some recent landlord-inspired anxieties. I was having a crummy morning but now I'm energized and feeling good.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A few months ago I gave a talk on "how to stay safe online" to a room filled with local financial professionals. Without much time to prepare, I did what I could and made the best of it.

Earlier today the event organizers sent me the video of my talk and upon rewatching it, you know what? I think I did okay. It's hard to condense 20 years of industry experience into 30 minutes, but I think my key points came across well, and that makes me quite happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
One year ago I took up writing as a serious hobby, starting from a blank website and a few scattered ideas. 200,000 words and multiple unique story arcs later,I'm blown away at the content I've created, and the growth I've seen in my own writing.

I just put the final touches on a reflective post that looks back over the past year, and I'm genuinely excited to share it with friends and family, come morning. I look forward to the future and what it may bring, and that's not something I was able to say two years ago.