Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I recently got a new job which has helped out with my financial problems quite a bit. I've been paying all my bills on time and been able to save a few hundred bucks every paycheck. I just found out today that I'm getting a new job (same company) with about a 25% raise. I will be buying a nice bottle of whiskey to celebrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I started brewing my first batch of beer. Now I just have to wait 6 weeks to drink it.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
Last week: I had a piece of apricot pie. I've had my share of pie in my day, but never apricot. It was very good, balance between soft and flaky crust, with just a bit of salt. The filling had a nice texture, and was both acidic and sweet. Almost perfect as far as pie goes. I almost never eat dessert, so it was a nice treat for me.

Today: We got rain. It has been months since we've had any sort of moisture. My eyes are red every day and I use drops all the time. The past few weeks have been especially smoky and dry due to the fires to the west of us. I went outside to cook on the grill tonight and it finally rained. I got to feel the piercing cold drops on my arm and face while the hot air of the day still hung around it. There is nothing quite like the feel, sound, and especially smell of rain when you live in the desert. Today the rain kicked up a lot of the pleasant smells of the wildfires near us, almost a smoky barbeque scent. It was a small taste of what we'll get during our monsoon season, and I'm exited that it's almost here. When you go without rain for long enough, you miss it a lot. I'm looking forward to the fresh desert monsoon smell. There is no smell greater than that of a dry area that has had no water for months getting a torrential downpour for an hour. Everything there has evolved for thousands of years to live in such a dry inhospitable ecosystem. When water comes, every living plant there explodes with life - and that's what smells so good. Death either smells bad - rotting, or not at all - dry. Life smells rich, sweet, enticing. It makes you want to breathe deep through your nose. It's not a traditional season change, but going from the dry season to the monsoon season is a good day for me, and it isn't marked on any calendar.