Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
I'm 39 and I just passed my driving test for my full license April 30th.
I bought a car Saturday - a Kia Soul - and I am in love with the ability to do whatever I want, when I want to do it. No more relying on other people, or asking favours, or lovely public transit, or Uber/Lyft.

I went to see Detective Pikachu by myself (because my husband doesn't care about Pokemon) and then I did groceries - it's such a small thing, you know, but after so many years of being reliant on other people's whims now I have this sense of freedom, and it is loving awesome.

Nyx, my new pride and joy.

And I personalized it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I've been in a super deep depressive funk for a long time but I think I'm starting to come out of it; it's definitely buoyed by the fact I have freedom - I've had my car for a month now and It's amazing to just think, "Hey I want to do <x>" and just go DO IT. I really enjoy driving, and find it quite pleasant - although I am that jerk with the music up super loud in her car so all you hear is "thud thud thud" from the bass (sorry). It's just awesome to jam out to tunes and cruise along and I can see why people like to do that.

I'm also tickled that after never having one, I'm still not over the joy of having a dishwasher in my house.

Also that I HAVE a house.

In the space of a year, I quit an old lovely job that was literally causing me anxiety attacks, graduated college with an AAS as a med tech, got a new job before I even graduated that pays almost double what I was making, bought a house, learned to drive, bought a car.

Sometimes you just have to step back and see what you've done to really appreciate what you've got.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
The Toronto Raptors won the NBA championship!!! :toot:

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I adopted a kitty today after losing and grieving my old girl cat in April. His name is Martin, he's seven months old, he was at the shelter's satellite location the longest, and he's from a kill shelter in South Carolina that got saved and transported up to Buffalo, NY. He immediately walked up to my husband and loved on him. I think he's pretty adorable.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I made this for Medical Lab Professionals Week. I'm a lab tech with a baking fetish who is entirely self-taught, and everything is homemade on this thing: gluten free chocolate cake, vanilla buttercream, raspberry jelly filling, marshmallow fondant, goofy art on the sides. Also the first time I did two tiers, one cake atop the other.

Components are all delicious, even if the overall covering fondant got a little raggedy. Hopefully when I cut into it, it won't turn into sludge or something.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I became an American citizen today after 12 years.

I mean I'm really Canadian/American but still - not having to worry about green cards, lawyers, or anything is pretty amazing. :911: :canada:

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
September 28, 2021: hospitalized with DKA and an A1C of 13.8 after years of refusing to take my diabetes truly seriously (woo severe depression/anxiety), put on insulin since oral meds were not working (mostly because they wrecked my gut and my doctors never listened, just pushed more oral meds on me which depressed me and I am an emotional eater and THE CYCLE NEVER STOPS)

Today: blood tests drawn - cholesterol and triglycerides down to normal, liver and kidneys working perfectly, and A1C is 6.5

granted I have diabetic amyotrophy from dropping it that fast (massive metabolic change meant that the nerves in my left leg stopped working, causing all my muscles to atrophy and put me out of work for six months due to being unable to walk) and I am still recovering but I am now at about 40-50% recovery and looking at a measured return to work.

This year has been hell but finally my diabetes is controlled and I feel so much better for it.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Aww... thank you :3:

It's been an absolutely terrible year - but after my stint in the ICU where I actually just felt fine despite my body shutting down, I came out like "eh, whatever" and my husband very gently pointed out HEY YOU COULD HAVE DIED DUMBASS and a coworker reminded me that her brother died from DKA and...

I know it sounds hokey as gently caress, but I was off for a couple days after being released from the hospital, and I was feeling fine so I went for a walk down to the river walking path and stood on the observation dock; it was October, sunny, and autumn-warm, leaves were falling gently and everything was just a goddamn postcard as a couple geese swam past and in those few moments of just standing still...

... after like thirty years of suicidal ideation and attempts, I just... decided I wanted to live. Not merely survive like I'd been doing, but live.

And while there are absolutely poo poo days where I wish I could just give up, I can't find it in me anymore - there's not this dark hand gripped around my chest anymore, trying to pull me down and away with all those thoughts. They come, but they don't have the power they used to. I can let them run through me, and out of me.

I'm not "cured" from depression, and I probably never will be, but I feel like I have a better foothold on this mountain we're all climbing.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
I made this from scratch for a friend's birthday and he loved it.

And yes - I know exactly where my towel is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Thank you so much, everyone. It was absolutely a labour of love and it's hard for me to see past the flaws I know are there but most people wouldn't really give a poo poo about.

It's a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream and cherry curd between the layers. The reason I baked a square cake and a round cake is that according to cake serving guides, it would feed 42 people and to me it just seemed like that was the only answer.