Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd unironically love the England world cup bid to have claimed copyright on football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Beckham: "You don't HAVE to choose our bid, but if you don't, we expect to earn 50%"

Blatter: "50% of what?"

Beckham: "EVERYTHING"

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
Argyle fans obviously have good reason to be mad at England not getting the WC but really?

quote:

Well to me it's all the fault of those in the media who were hell bent on pursuing the corruption allegations.

They need to get in the real world.

What other country's media would do the same when their own, yes their own country is bidding?

Why couldn't they do this years ago, or next month or next year, or in 5 years time? It's ridiculous that they can strut around being proud of their freedom when the nation has lost the chance of a lifetime in staging this event in 'The Mother of Football'

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
e- ^^^^ I'm guessing there will lots of material from all clubs. So it begins.

Right wing meltdown on my club's board. The BBC are pretty much wikileaks on crack burning the st george's cross while jizzing on diana's grave.

I'll gather some actual quotes later but it's mayhem at the moment.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
RE: World Cup bid failure

quote:

The pitch invasion seems like a good idea right now doesn't it.

If you have any pride left you will ALL issue an apology to England and our bid team(This included Roque Santa Cruz), preferably through Sky Sports News.

Cheers, you mentally disabled chimps.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

quote:

you can't have a world cup in qatar cmon that's loving ridiculous it's hotter than the sun out there

quote:

In fairness they are so rich they are going to put air conditioning outdoors to keep the temperature down. Wish I had enough money to fight the sun...

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

incredible

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
That's sort of true though, isn't it? Won't the stadia have air conditioning?

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

Won't be allowed to win it,
everything is secret from voting to instructions to referees
remember the Germany game and the goal that wasn't given,

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

F I F A = loving incredible foreign arseholes !! Russia and Qatar absolute joke gently caress international football not worth a wank

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

I have to say, I'm not inspired to go to Russia ...... and Quatar is a bit near all those weird fuckers like Iran, Iraq, Pakistan and the rest so I don't fancy that either.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

ok I'm not going to look for any more because that is the peak

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Ok maybe one more

quote:

Here here fordy.

The more sanctimonious dribble I read and hear, the more I actually find myself sympathising with the 'hooligans'.

I was there, so I can speak with authority about what I saw. Yes, some people went on the pitch. Yes, some chairs were thrown. Yes, about ten people had minor injuries. And yes, there was a (gasp) firework let off. Well blow me down.

What there wasn't was any of the following:

'Missiles' - they are big things that rich countries use to blow up towns, not half empty bottles of pop.

'Ugly scenes' - anyone would think it was like Saw 4 or something if you believe the press.

'Violence' -unless of course you include the sometimes heavy handed use of batons by the Police.

'Intimidated children' - this one cracked me up! Most of the 'hooligans' themselves were about twelve.

'Frightened families' - I was with my Dad and my sister - we thought it was hilarious.

'Clashes outside the ground' - I walked through the 'clashes', and it was mostly the same 'intimidated children' on their mobiles trying to ape the overblown media-invention of the football hooligan stereotype.

At the end of the day mate, it was a bit of a laugh, and if you don't like it, don't go to Villa Park or St Andrews on Derby day. We know what to expect, and frankly for the most part, we enjoy the atmosphere of it.

Now bore off and worry about something important - like starving kids or something.

As for the World Cup, who cares? The last one was the equivalent of watching the last Manchester derby, only 3 times a day for a month. Russia (who, by the way, have possibly the worst hooligan problem in the world - which kinda blows your point out of the water), can keep it.

TimberJoe fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 2, 2010

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Jippa posted:

e- ^^^^ I'm guessing there will lots of material from all clubs. So it begins.

I reckon PASOTIs will go further and last longer though. We need to raise high six figure sums in 6 days to keep operating, and the current board are only involved with the club in the first place for the money that would have come from 2018, so they'll put gently caress all in.. and i'm sure Ridsdale's motivations were the same. Basically our club might be ended by the suicidal decision to Show David Cameron's Bloated Face To The World

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
lol

quote:

First off let me tell you that Construction workers are nothing like enslaved, specially in Qatar. I know this because I'm a journalist and I went to Qatar recently especially to report on a similar story.
What happens is that the construction company orders construction workers from a recruiting company. They specify that the workers must know the safety procedures, including using equipment and so on. However the recruitment companies find it cheaper to actually forge that certificate. So workers go there unfortunately no nothing at all about safety and one accident after another ensue.
So the government need to work on that, is it slavery? hardly. It's less severe than Mexican workers who go to the US (illegal immigration).

But workers work for 9 hours including an hour lunch break (that is the law in Qatar). They are provided with housing and transportation (although housing thy get is in ghetto areas).
But they make much more money than had they worked any where else in the world.
And it is a fact that they make more money than teachers in Egypt.

It could be different in other Gulf countries, but I'm positive about Qatar because I reported from their.

Arab "states" did not exist until the 20th century, slavery ended in their with th arrival of Islam. Mohammed banished slavery and adopted a former slave as his own and assigned another as "imam" responsible for calling people to prayer.

Even in the modern world, England crimes far exceed that of Qatar. World Wars, going into Afghanistan and Iraq and killing innocent soldiers and innocent local families for unfounded reasons (there are documents that prove its about oil and I'm more than happy to PM you those documents).

You have Ex pats from England who go work in Qatar, do you have it the other way around?
English Ex pats, just like from any other country, come to Qatar because it provide them with a standard of living their countries cannot deal with. Isn't that a crime against humanity? Isn't raising tuition fees and forbidding a large sector from getting higher education and practically destroying their future a crime against humanity?

May be that's why England got two votes.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
He even writes like a journalist, look at all those paragraphs.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

T. Finn posted:

lol

Sounds like one of those British ex-pats in Dubai who love having their own domestic servant, like the beaches, the shopping, being driven everywhere and eating at the local Brit-owned restaurant and being blissfully unaware of what is actually going on in the country.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Here's what a young Dubai resident said about the place not too long ago as it was collapsing:

quote:

This is the best place in the world to be young! The government pays for your education up to PhD level. You get given a free house when you get married. You get free healthcare, and if it's not good enough here, they pay for you to go abroad. You don't even have to pay for your phone calls. Almost everyone has a maid, a nanny, and a driver. And we never pay any taxes. Don't you wish you were Emirati?"

Hopefully Qatar won't be like this, but I have my doubt seeing their stadium plans.

Here's a chilling read about Dubai:
http://globalwarming-arclein.blogspot.com/2009/04/dubai-collapse.html

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Is it loving Groundhog Week in TRP

(what I mean to say The Mash is someone else linked that article and we had a bit of discussion about it in the Qatar thread)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

think this through. english fa tell fifa to gently caress off and stick the world cup. fifa kick england out of fifa, which means english teams cant play in a uefa competitions and can only play against each other. the (so called top players) want to leave the premiershit teams and play abroad the teams in the real 2nd division (us) now have the best teams because we pay our players gently caress all, some of them arent worth gently caress all mind. within 2 yers we once again reign as the best team in england. however the greedy bastards at the fa and in the premiershit wont allow this to happen because they want to keep all the money. still good to dream.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

Is it loving Groundhog Week in TRP

(what I mean to say The Mash is someone else linked that article and we had a bit of discussion about it in the Qatar thread)

That was me, and I prefaced the post in the Qatar thread with a "crossposting from Weekend Web" comment.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

quote:

Yeah, my friend's dad was there a few years back and had to pay £75 for some guy to bring him a bottle of wine with a Tesco sticker saying £2.99 on it

http://www.cadred.org/Forums/Thread/132898/

:downs:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

owlstalk posted:

2018- Russia
2022- Qatar
2026- Afganistan
2030- North Korea
2034- Scotland (FIFA are that bent)
2038 - Hawaii
2042 - New Zealand
2046 - Canada
2050 - Antarctica
2054 - Egypt
2058 - Arctic circle
2064 - Aruba
2068 - Cyprus
2072 - Fiji
2076 - Greenland
2080 - Yemen
2084 - Rwanda
2088 - Mongolia
2092 - Finland
2096 - Latvia
3000 - Syria
3004 - England

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Heh that didnt take long

quote:

MAKE FIFA A DEMOCRACY - NEW FIFA 'The People's Game'Category:Sports & Recreation - Professional SportsDescription:
Football, Soccer, Calcio, Futebol, Futbol - the name changes but it is a universal language: 'The People's Game.' Unfortunately, at the moment it is anything but.

This group aims to be the startpoint of a drive to return the game to the people; to make FIFA an organisation with a president and board voted in by the people who play, watch and love the game. Public vote is the greatest system of accountability and fairness known; it works at great clubs like FC Barcelona as well as it does in...

Fight tha powah!

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

that is not how milleniums work

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10

lolz posted:

You mean that video was to promote England!!! I thought it was a video of all the countries we are giving handouts to. Well well well.

lolz posted:

The video is total rubbish, no doubt about it. Once again, an example of how we are too scared to celebrate our national identity for fear that the PC brigade will come along and moan that there are not enough different cultures and minorities represented. But I highly doubt the video cost us the bid, the entire process stinks of corruption.

lolz posted:

Glad.

We can't afford it.

Soccer is as exciting as watching grass grow on concrete anyway.

- John, Indonesia, 3/12/2010 1:12

lolz posted:

i wonder how much of the 15 million was spent on this crap of 3 mins,200 quid tops,its as if we are ashamed to be english,sack the lot.and sack postman pat that will save 6 million a year ,and get harry to do it part time,and pay him on results

For those not paying attention it was in fact Prince William rather than Prince Harry who was involved in the bid, seeing as he's president of the FA.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Bacon of the Sea posted:

For those not paying attention it was in fact Prince William rather than Prince Harry who was involved in the bid, seeing as he's president of the FA.
Err, the last quote is on about sacking Capello (Postman Pat) and replacing him with Harry (Redknapp)

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
...Bugger.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

SteadfastMeat posted:

that is not how milleniums work

I know funny isn't it

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

I know funny isn't it

already booked my tickets for Hawaii 2038 though

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

SteadfastMeat posted:

already booked my tickets for Hawaii 2038 though

p. sure it will be Atlantis 2038 by then

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
http://www.redcafe.net/f6/jamie-redknapp-fergies-successor-315053/

:350:

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Bacon of the Sea posted:

the charming story these quotes are referring to: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335107/WORLD-CUP-2018-Un-English-video-screened-FIFA-delegates.html

it'll be about 6 months at this rate until Paul Dacre actually lets his employees write about 'niggers'.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

the charming story these quotes are referring to: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1335107/WORLD-CUP-2018-Un-English-video-screened-FIFA-delegates.html

it'll be about 6 months at this rate until Paul Dacre actually lets his employees write about 'niggers'.
And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

quote:

This is the problem with multi culturalism...everyone loses their identity amidst the racial and cultural mash.....

- rb, brum, 2/12/2010 21:05

That's the whole reason it is being forced upon us rb....
- Tom, Middlesbrough, UK, 03/12/2010 01:11

quote:

Well done Daily Mail for having the courage to speak up and say the things the silent majority are thinking!. It's about time we took pride in OUR culture for once.

If only Diana were here to see what this nation has become. What would she say?
- Bob, from britain, 3/12/2010 0:15

quote:

In this film Britain looks like a foreign country, which increasiingly it seems to be.
- Peter, Watford UK, 2/12/2010 23:39

quote:

because england isn,t england any more......many thanks to the star players........and here they are.....blair,brown,johnson,prescott,harman.....midfield.....blunkett,green,grayling,hague....up front.....clegg and star striker cameron........the substitutes are too many to mention but the public referee informs me that they have all ruined this once great nation which is unrecognisable to what it used to be.....
- joseph prescott, liverpool, 2/12/2010 22:18

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

8raz posted:

And that's only the tip of the iceberg.

bob from britain i'm almost certain is my big bro trolling :3

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Chuggo posted:

The Diana line was way too unsubtle imho

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Chuggo posted:

don't worry, i'm sure plenty of daily mail readers do think that.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

T. Finn posted:

yeah my thoughts exactly, but then i imagine a huge amount of middle class housewives will read that and think "good point, bob from britain"

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

T. Finn posted:

Mail... subtle? Does not compute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
this is an email I received from one of my good buddies following the WC announcement:

Crazy Milan Fan Nick M posted:

I would be very interested in traveling to Qatar to watch the World Cup, and although it's 12 years in the future, am already planning to do so. I agree that money was the primary driver and that political influence in FIFA was crucial to Qatar winning. But I also look at it this way. Every bidding nation had to tout their financial clout. Every bidding nation attempted to politic and garner influence in a number of ways. Qatar has deeper pockets. That's not their fault, it's down to their geography. And Qatar won more influence, and until there is solid evidence or proof that they 'bought' votes, I'm not going to tarnish their win by smearing their methods.

I'm surprised Qatar got it, but if you consider the fact that they've got money to burn, but still are doing things like developing a zero carbon-footprint AC system that could greatly impact the global environment in a positive way, building and then tearing down and reconstructing in poor nations the magnificent stadiums they are planning to build, and spending around $65B in infrastructure (roads, railway, seaport, etc) NOT including the stadiums themselves, this is a project that will have a lasting impact on Qatar, the Middle East, and let's be honest, the world for years to come.

From a football perspective, it probably makes the least sense. But in just about every other way, this is the bid that most capitalized on using the World Cup to create positive change and expose the world to a new corner of the globe that most people couldn't find on a map prior to yesterday.

I don't have a problem with it.

Sepp couldn't have said it better himself

:ughh: