Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Beckham: "You don't HAVE to choose our bid, but if you don't, we expect to earn 50%"

Blatter: "50% of what?"

Beckham: "EVERYTHING"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Here's what a young Dubai resident said about the place not too long ago as it was collapsing:

quote:

This is the best place in the world to be young! The government pays for your education up to PhD level. You get given a free house when you get married. You get free healthcare, and if it's not good enough here, they pay for you to go abroad. You don't even have to pay for your phone calls. Almost everyone has a maid, a nanny, and a driver. And we never pay any taxes. Don't you wish you were Emirati?"

Hopefully Qatar won't be like this, but I have my doubt seeing their stadium plans.

Here's a chilling read about Dubai:
http://globalwarming-arclein.blogspot.com/2009/04/dubai-collapse.html

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Transatlantic Gulp posted:

Is it loving Groundhog Week in TRP

(what I mean to say The Mash is someone else linked that article and we had a bit of discussion about it in the Qatar thread)

That was me, and I prefaced the post in the Qatar thread with a "crossposting from Weekend Web" comment.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Arsene did save my life though. I swore to kill myself if Arsenal ever won another trophy :downsrim:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

drat

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Aw man, If is one of my favourite poems and you had to go and ruin it :(

And I agree with whoever said this is the kind of stuff I'd expect to see at RAWK. The Liverpool fans around here are thankfully pretty great but sheesh some of the more deluded ones bang on with the SOS rhetoric like mad

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

to be fair she's the definition of a wag: she's both a wife and girlfriend!!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I agree with him! Rooney is indeed better than Villa and Messi is better than anything we have!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Bovine Delight posted:

footballinamerica.jpg

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

TomSellek posted:

Aside from the fact I can't read most of the text I don't see whats so bad about that infographic

"how one MLS team is changing the world's view of american soccer"
"why it's so historic"
"The secret weapon: The fortress" ignoring the fact that the CWC is held on neutral ground

this is ignoring all the stupid poo poo like calling a draw a "tie" or having to explain away goals

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

TomSellek posted:

It's talking about the Concacaf champions league which is a 2 leg final, Mr. Danish Manchester United fan. Of course they would explain things like that, the majority of people here don't know anything about the sport.

Except for the fact that the biggest letters in the entire picture is "Club World Champions?"

Also, if you scroll up you'll see that all I ever posted was joking about how American it was in the degree of explaining in detail, which is exactly what you said as well.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Am I doing this right Finny

quote:

Yet Hodgson took Fulham to a UEFA Cup final, meaning that Fulham, yes Fulham, ended up higher than 13th, yet was out of his depth when he went to Liverpool. It's strange that a manager that was out of his depth when he left Newcastle 13th in the league isn't out of his depth at Liverpool, but I suppose that you've all got a little bit too used to mediocrity all round to the point that you're all a bit brain dead.

quote:

My questions are:

i. Could this be his BEST season? A commentator on todays game v Chelsea suggested this and it completely caught me off guard, I had thought I missed Giggs in his prime, as a winger. Some people even went as far in recent years as to say " Giggsy we love you - now go away" calling for retirement. I think this season he's at least proved he's still valuable.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Oh Em Gee posted:

I would love to be a famous athletes secret boyfriend.

me too

dibs on anna kournikova

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

TyChan posted:

Are these worthy of derision?

No, that's Barneys dad. He's cool.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Ninpo posted:

I'm gonna pretend this is real and answer. Valdes off is definitely a better scenario seeing as Pinto is out as well..

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

can't argue with statistics

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The only correct thing in the entire post is that Rooney did play rather well. Not the best on the pitch, but probably the best United player.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Jollzwhin posted:

Well I can't top that.

erm jollzy sorry but this thread is for replicating bad posts

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

lomzus posted:

I feel sorry for FIFA, the press have a real hatred for them and keep making scurrilous accusations. Last wek the BBC did a dreadful documentary accusing all and sundry of bribery and corruption, this week both candidates for presidency and the whiter than white Mr Warner has have been accused of offering cash incentives, it's fucling ridiculous.

These ambassadors at the top of footballs governing body work tirelessly, sometimes for hours at a time to make football more better. Bringing countries like Qatar into the fold With it's massive population of nearly a million and a half people is a stroke of genius. Qatar have too much money and quite like a bit of a kick about after drilling for oil, by taking some of their money, FIFA officials can now fly to more places and spread the word to other nations who should host the world cup, like Andorra or Greenland.

And don't even raise the nonsense about goal line gadgetry, when sep blather was young, football was a gentlemans game where honesty and integrity were the technology that mattered. Also the stuff available today is not supplied by any companies owned or represented by a FIFA member so it can't be trusted. They have also allegedly refused point blank to help with the associated costs of getting the FIFA boys together to make a decision, and Lear jets don't run on chip fat you know.

I think we should take a long hard look at what these guys bring to football and show them a little more respect, they know what they're doing and they know what's best, and the best costs money

Next week I will be doing an article on how the Italian prime minister is trying reenergise politics by touching the younger generation

this is a joke post in case you didn't get it

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

lomzus posted:

i´m sorry the mash

it's ok

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

They cleared out all the bad people. They bought in a great new editor, Colin Myler, and his deputy, Victoria Newton, who had not been sullied by any of the things that had gone on in the past.

And there's nobody there, there's hardly anybody there who was there in the old regime.

The people are very clean, great, talented professional journalists and we pull out a great paper every week. And we're all paying the price for what happened six years ago by a previous regime.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

K U N T Z posted:

For the EPL, I'm a bigamist. I enjoy watching the best teams play, but I hate Man City just for the sheer amount of money spent. My favorite players over the years are mostly tough guy, but I've always had a soft spot for Steven Gerrard (no good reason why and I've never understood it). I loved Roy Keane, and I love Jack Rodwell and Phil Jones as up and comers. As far as English players, I really enjoy Jack Wilshire and I wish he was playing on a team that I could stand watching. I despise Arsenal's play and I think that they whine too much.

When I lived in Europe, I enjoyed live stuff...Hamilton Accies (even worse back then they are now), Motherwell, Sparta Praha (soccer and ice hockey). Czech league ice hockey is fantastic and super cheap, but that's not what we're talking about.

I like German cricket and Morten Gamst Pedersen

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I once got an incorrect in a Trivial Pursuit game because I answered Marc Bosman instead of Jean-Marc. I was livid.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You can kinda, sorta see the point that any challenge where the player explicitly goes for hurting his opponent without noticing the ball, succesful or not, is a special kind of nasty and low.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Not even all that happening, you just need Vinnie Jones reading that post aloud

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

discuss

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

his use of the word quarterback was like the least offensive thing in that whole post

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Footballingabilityisquitesparsenal

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Mickolution posted:

I just wish American sports writers would accept that football doesn't need fixing.

But then how will we get Americans to embrace it!?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

That full stop before "for the second time" is hilarious.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

He's even from Liverpool originally, what's he doing playing for Manchester!!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

PirateBob posted:

JoeForro Joe Forrest
Im all about the positives.. The only one I can take from the Suarez situation is the chance for Carroll to step up and prove himself. #YNWA

This one doesn't seem terrible at all. It seems exactly like something I'd say :unsmith:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Gr31lly posted:

:lol:

This is the best one because it manages to simultaneously be racist and against racism

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

that's... not how the legal system works.. :smith:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Can't argue with that logic

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Bush did 9/11. True/False?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Tim Tebow is awful though. He's got the worst throw of any QB I've ever seen.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Is Jenna short for Jennifer?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

8raz posted:

No

Then her name isn't as funny as I might have hoped for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU