Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

euroboy posted:

Seems like a lot of Manchester United fans wants Moyes out already

https://twitter.com/MoyesOutNow

Surely this is a joke account

quote:

Moyes Out Campaign ‏@MoyesOutNow 4h
@Will_ManUtd This is modern football. Chelsea, Real Madrid etc are successful cos they get rid when the manager isn't succeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Moyes needs Bale & Suarez, immediately!

RVP is AVERAGE. I was a pub striker in my playing days, so I know the role well. He scored 2 but he always does in the average EPL. Where was he against Real Madrid?

He wouldn't score half the goals in a superior league like the Russian. Their defenders are no nonsense, strong & destroy forwards. The Prem is full of flashy 'defenders' who can't mark a man.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Blue Screen Error posted:

Did he send that to himself?

If he did I can't even begin to describe how much it would be in the wrong thread. I just read it in my head as coming from him and it sounded AMAZING

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

vaginal culture posted:

After watching the match, my main question for City is are they built with too many players trying to score rather than move the ball? It looked like many of them were too busy trying to stuff it down the middle rather the work the edges. Cardiff stood firm but City kept with the same attack until the last five minutes before stoppage time. Pelligrini may need to rethink the starting XI because it looked overloaded with strikers and need more assist. I mean really, Cardiff stood firm in the center of the pitch for the majority of the match but City's strikers kept going to the center of the pitch like something was going to change. They did not try to work the corners until late in the match; which showed a lack of a speed attack on the wings that Chelsea and United possess. Lastly, bench Lescott. Today 2:03pm

Haha, this one is great. Yeah City's problem is they don't faff around with the ball enough

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

There are a couple excessively optimistic ones like "It's like we're at the dawn of something pretty special." but honestly yeah, most of those are pretty reasonable considering they're on a single-club forum

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I like that he basically lists a bunch of points of criticism against Cruyff and then goes "Di Canio does this too!" without ever bringing up all the advantages to Cruyff and his methods and to maybe use those for comparisons too

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

E: Holy poo poo wrong thread ignore this

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

That is the most elaborate way of saying "Ronaldo is not a big game player" I've ever seen

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

tetsman posted:

I've run the numbers and ΔT4 is only positive for a fraction of the league, but it doesn't correlate to the SiBoT Diff making the DZoT Diff an interesting rate that reflects the structural anomaly of the bouncebackability that seems to dominate the possession turnover, at least in my Italian view of football.

Did you remember to adjust for final third entry solidification?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Eboracum posted:

one of these things...

Otherizing Rooney because of his male pattern baldness is a very rude thing to be doing I'll have you know

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Spam posted:

you don't play for Portugal if you're a bad player PERIOD

I think this is the worst thing in that wall of dumb tbh

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I thought we had reached an agreement for you to stop posting things from my livejournal page

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Yep that pretty much has to be the worst football post ever and I say that as someone who's made quite a few stinkers himself

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

That's sort of the argument of the poster though. That statistics do not demonstrate that Webb is more biased, in part because of too small a sample size. That's the real problem though. His "background" section:

quote:

Background: A Telegraph article claimed that Howard Webb bottles big decisions and that statistics proved this. I wanted to look at whether the statistics actually support the claims made in the article.

Who sits down and writes this poo poo because they felt a Telegraph article was statistically inacurate

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

"worst ever champions" may be the dumbest chant of all time because what does that say about the other teams then

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Destroy My Sweater posted:

that's the problem.... you don't let Ronaldo decide anything. You get in his face and you piss him off. If I were Klinsmann... I would tell every right-sided player who will see time in our defensive third...."Listen.... Ronaldo has no idea who you are right now... if he doesn't remember your face, and know your name by the end of the game.... and hate you..... then you've failed today."

I like this one because basically every single time I've seen someone try to piss off Ronaldo or rough him up, he ends up scoring. Getting him all riled up is like the last thing you want to do. I remember the first game against Sweden in the knock-out qualifiers, seeing him pissed off at not getting decisions, at being tackled dangerously, and I couldn't help but think he'd go on to score a winner out of pure spite.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Hahahahaha, I think I'm gonna have to start using "22 Bavarian seconds" as a measure of time from now on

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Good on the Sun for reporting to the truth about Januzaj way back then

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

I want to get a job in statistics so that I can self-select data that supports my perspective for a living

Congratulations, you have qualified to become Jozy Altidores new publicist!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M98tj5AlGqg

(crossposting)

(it's really the description that makes it though)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

the description in your embedded video.

The title is still a clickable link that takes you to youtube just like it would be with a regular link! And it's only funny because of the description/video combo anyway. I think you're just winding me up now!!

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I love to watch Macchiavellian manoeuvrings disappear and reappear before my eyes

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Lol there's a thing called "non-penalty goals"

E: And according to that, Brazil seem to have about 20% more of those.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

vaginal culture posted:

I loving love this goal line tech it is cool as hell and those arguing against it have been made out to be fools imo

I must admit I have gone from 'violently opposed' to 'aggressively indifferent' over the last few days, so that's something

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

quote:

Widely considered to be one of the craftiest young talents around, Rodríguez can play anywhere from a midfield position to a winger position. He's able to switch from either a left to a right side position as well as a center, making him a very versatile player. Most of his key attributes surround his technical abilities as an extremely balanced player, relying on precise mental sharpness over strength and speed, despite having high stats with said attributes. Rodriguez invests his training towards becoming as 'balanced' as possible.[79][80][81]

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I've never really understood WHY American sports journalists in particular keep wanting to change the rules of the game. I mean, it's not like they're all talking about one specific change that would maybe benefit the USMNT, it's just random poo poo here and there that would either break (the flow of) the game or have no real effect. I get that they're idiots who don't understand the game, but would stupid rules changes really change that? WHAT ARE THEY TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH aaaaaaaaa

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I did the math and if the dutch win the world cup, it gets edited into the official files (Uniteds wiki page that is) as a tournament win for United.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win 1.34 to 0.

Also:

http://jezebel.com/world-cup-soccer-stats-erase-the-sports-most-dominant-p-1601275793

I'm a total social justice warrior in most regards and there's a surprising amount of fiery Jezebel rhetoric I agree with, but this is too dumb. The sheer ignorance about football (women have more goals because they have longer careers and more of their games end in penalty shootouts!!) overwhelmed any desire I had to listen to what points the author was actually trying to make.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I like how the new and advanced stat at no point considers the position of the goalkeeper relative to the player shooting. I guess that's for the 3.0 version of the ZiBotTSR index

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Syncopated posted:

I do not know who this is, could you compare him to a heavy metal artist perhaps?

Yeah he's like Nickelback or Limp Bizkit

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

lol I'm sure Gerrard and all Liverpool fans would love to have Owen and Torres back at the club right now

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Everything terrible in that terrible post was outweighed by "pied piper of graft, FIFA chief Sepp Blatter" and I'll give it a pass

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I MUST have a source for that

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Messyass posted:

It's from http://www.statsbomb.com/2014/07/what-type-of-striker-do-you-want-pre-shot-dribble-distance-metric-can-help/

I actually like "advanced stats" and this stuff is generally not bad, but...

I think Jozy doesn't dribble as much as dawdle. Those 4 meters are just the space he needs after his first touch.

He wrote that whole article as a result of this comment:

quote:

If you fully wanted to investigate the value-for-money on this deal, I think you also need to look at how often does he actually work himself into positions that are good scoring positions

Without even considering the fact that "working yourself into positions" more often than not means off the ball rather than on it, for strikers.

Who are these people. Jesus.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

TelekineticBear! posted:

quote:

01 - United 79 (63)
02 - Arsenal 79 (67)
03 - United 74 (63)
04 - Arsenal 73 (55)
this isnt how football works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like this top 4 OP and think it is realistic for the coming season

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/manchester-united-transfers.html

comments

quote:

I think sanches shed also join the best football club on planet earth. utd 4ever

quote:

Get renodo for 80 million that is how much united has sold him for to mardrid

quote:

Please buy us Steven Pena and thiago acantara

quote:

sir we need one defensive midfield and one number six why canyyou sighn lucas moura from brazil

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Lol I just went on his twitter to check how he'd logic himself out of that one and his argument was that the January window was in the same "year" (calendar) as one summer window and in the same "year" (football season) as another one, and as a result, no matter which January window Fowler would lump in with the 2014 July window, Barton would claim it was in a different "year"

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Heck, the ratings and text for the front 6 are basically directly applicable to the West Ham game too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Brony Car posted:

I think United realised that Evra was poison after the Suarez affair. I don't think they ever felt really comfortable with Evra's account of what happened, but felt obliged to let him carry on with his dubious accusations for fear of him playing the racist card against them too.

He really was/is a most objectionable character and I for one was very pleased to see United move him on - he tainted himself and the club over the Suarez affair and he's better off in Italy where the do-gooders and politically correct won't pander to him like they did here. Good riddance, horrid little man...

Anyone bitching about "the politically correct" is the new "I'm not racist, but"