Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Here come some posts from the fans of Everyone's Favourite Team

quote:

my ban is nearly up 12/12/10 or this is the date the courts at carlisle gave me a 3 yr ban......but my card says feb 2011....do you get a letter telling you when its up? cheers

quote:

sorry for being a nosey twat mate, but what was banning order for ?

quote:

criminal damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Scott posted:

The White Pele is back, within two minutes he sets up Berbatov...

Class is permanent, a true inspiration to all...

Bergkamp10 posted:

how can you still love Rooney after the way he Treated UTD,you wanna be ashamed of yourself,Rooney is a MERCANERY and a TRAITOR the way he Be-Littled UTD Fergie should have Booted him out like he did with Beckham,Stam and Van Nistelrooy he have never allowed player power at UTD untill now, it proves SHREK is bigger than UTD, Fergie Bottled it big time.

Scott posted:

HOW can you still Love Fabregas? He is DESPERATE to leave...DESPERATE!

Bergkamp10 posted:

i dont love him, wenger should out him in jan if he wants to go, get rid i say,at lease we are not going to be stuck with a MERCANERY who only thinks of himself and not the club fans or players like your are,plus Rooneys taking UTd for all they got,i hope your happy with that.cos i wouldnt be.

Scott posted:

But seriously...Who cares about you?

Bergkamp10 posted:

you want to be ashamed of yourself,you aint a True UTD fan because the True UTD fans will never forgive SHREK,your just a Glory Hunter who dont care what happens to his club as long as they win

Scott posted:

I've been going to United for 35 years...

But seriously AGAIN...WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK?

Bergkamp10 posted:

you havent been going to watch UTD for 35 years now way,your a liar, your just a GLORY HUNTING NUMPTY

Scott posted:

You're right, it's actually more...

Why are you laughing at yourself? Are you lonely?
I keep saying "I don't care what you say", I still don't...and yet you continue to speak to me, just to let you know, I'm Married, I'm not Gay and not interested in developing any sort of relationship with you...

Bergkamp10 posted:

your just a SAD WUM who lives on his own and supports what ever team is on top,you LOSER

WUM = Wind-Up Merchant

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS

The Wum Killer posted:

You are correct Scott has been exposed before (by united fans) as a playstation boy who supports Man Utd from his bedroom.

More Worryingly he is also still being breast-fed.

Scott posted:

The Down Syndrome man has returned!

Bergkamp10 posted:

i bet your SHREKS love child

God Bless You 606 Forums

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I wanna try and find some good el clasico posts but I don't speak spanish :(

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Outrespective posted:

Just check out the la liga thread on something awful.

there's only so many brap3 posts you can put in one thread

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

F I F A = loving incredible foreign arseholes !! Russia and Qatar absolute joke gently caress international football not worth a wank

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

I have to say, I'm not inspired to go to Russia ...... and Quatar is a bit near all those weird fuckers like Iran, Iraq, Pakistan and the rest so I don't fancy that either.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

think this through. english fa tell fifa to gently caress off and stick the world cup. fifa kick england out of fifa, which means english teams cant play in a uefa competitions and can only play against each other. the (so called top players) want to leave the premiershit teams and play abroad the teams in the real 2nd division (us) now have the best teams because we pay our players gently caress all, some of them arent worth gently caress all mind. within 2 yers we once again reign as the best team in england. however the greedy bastards at the fa and in the premiershit wont allow this to happen because they want to keep all the money. still good to dream.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

that is not how milleniums work

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Breath Ray posted:

I know funny isn't it

already booked my tickets for Hawaii 2038 though

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I'm not sure Beckham will make it to the world cup. Also I get the feeling Alan Shearer may be just a bit too old by that point

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Extreme this, but rather than splash out on a few players, why dont we look at taking players who are out of favour at the min on loan unitll the end of season!!
Michael Owen, Shaun wright philips, Kevin philips to name a few. Yeh they would command big wages, but take them until May and they would cost the same if not less than buying 3 average players on contracts who maybe we will end up stuck with if they dont perform. The likes of the 3 i mention would see us piss the division!!

-A Leeds Fan

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The Welsh Brap

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
would be an interesting change of pace from Gray at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYpzPZzrqA

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

I came

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Every single loving chant to the tune of 'the animals went in two by two' I've read today has been without exception completely loving awful

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
they really need to start making footy shirts easier to burn imo

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
my black mate

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Chuggo posted:

Man U is ruled out cos they are racist team

wait what

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

c0burn posted:

you got rid of Billy :smith:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The correct answer is 'never did George Best any harm'

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Sorry FIFA, the World Cup isn't the highest level of play out there. I probably could have won a World Cup if you stuck me in some of those amazing Brazil squads over the years.

Ronaldo accomplished a lot for his national team, but the guy NEVER won a CL. That would be fine if he played for small teams that never had a chance of winning the CL, but he played for Inter, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Ac Milan, etc, all some of the biggest clubs in the World, and all teams that were winning the CL before Ronaldo or after him.

Now, Ronaldo certainly was a great player, but he's quite overrated. He certainly had the potential to be one of the best ever, if not the best, but he was too lazy and never worked hard enough to improve, instead relying on his own skill. After a while, his skill wouldn't cut it when he was fat and out of shape. It's that lack of working hard that really drags him down in my opinion.

The other downside is he wasn't that versatile. He could plow through defenders and score, but that's about it. Sometimes his touches were poor, sometimes he'd stupidly give the ball away, and his passing wasn't that great. I'll always remember his give away against Arsenal that led to Henry's goal. To add that, he quickly got out of shape and never really got back into shape.

The guy scored lots of goals, but so did many other players who contributed a bit more to their teams than just goals. His dribbling was incredible, his shooting was nothing too great, but he scored goals. What else did he offer aside from bullying through defenders with fancy footwork and power? Not much in my opinion.

Ronaldo was fantastic for his national team, but I think it's too much of a coincidence that he NEVER won a CL despite playing for four of the biggest teams in the world. He scored lots of league goals but how many league titles did he win despite playing for those biggest teams? One La Liga (I'm not going to count the other La Liga for Real where Capello benched him for being fat and his contributions were 7 appearances one goal)

Ronaldo scored over 350 goals, but there are a few players in the modern game who have scored 300+ goals. I think Raul's scoring record is MUCH more impressive since a) Raul has played midfield, winger, forward, second striker, striker etc and still managed them and b) Raul played at the highest level for his entire career, where as 79 of Ronaldo's goals were scored in Brazil and 54 were scored in the Netherlands. Neither of those are considered the highest level, and both are feeder leagues to the bigger teams. So really, that's about 219 goals at the highest level.

Casuals always seem to overrate exciting flashy players, and players who did well in World Cups. Ronaldo was both. When it came to the toughest competition in the world, Ronaldo wasn't that impressive.

He had the potential, but he didn't work hard enough to improve, and eventually it caught up with him.

Don't get me wrong, he was an amazing player, there are just plenty of other players I'd rather have in a team. I wouldn't even consider him the best forward of the last 15 years. Raul, Henry, Eto'o, Van Nistelrooy, etc these players offered MUCH more to a team, just as many goals, more versatility, and these guys showed up in the big games and when competition was it's fiercest.

Anyway, a lot of people thought back in 2001 Ronaldo was overrated, and I don't think in the next ten years he proved any of those doubters like myself wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not insulting him and he seems like a nice guy and all that, but to claim he was the greatest ever is absurd when there are plenty of players in the last 15 years who were better and played a similar position. Guys who had skill AND worked hard to improve their game. Guys who carried their teams to the biggest title of them all.

Simply put, having potential to be the greatest and actually utilizing that potential are two completely different things.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

T. Finn posted:

argh get murdered, shut up!!!!

don't post Alex Ferguson's twitter in here

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
can't argue with 5 though tbh

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
well now :staredog:

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

appledan posted:

i remember some player called Kerrera Gilbert(probably kieran gibbs)

Kerrea Gilbert must be gutted

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Manchester is a horrible filthy shithole full of loving twats tbf

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It's a Friday afternoon and ive had a long week and my overriding thought over the last few days has been that half of the people on this forum are completely flipping clueless.

Grayson is young, clever, succeeded last year where others couldnt on a shoe-strong budget... he loves the club.. he's already given us good results against Forest, Boro, Millwall, Watford, Doncaster, Sheffield United when everybody said we hadnt spent enough, hadnt strengthened.... we're two good results away from being in the top 6 again FFS!!!

Seriously anyone that thinks Simon should be sacked does not know a single thing about football.. not one flipping thing.. my guess is you're either an emotional old woman, or a pisshead... and if you're not one of those things, you might aswell be..

So we got battered by Cardiff.. they might aswell be flipping Chelsea in this division... The Preston result is just a joke, and a serious learning curve, and that doesnt bother me.. that's just a classic case of being too cocky... The Barnsley game is a mystery but SERIOUSLY!!!! It's the same as last season... Do you think that Grayson just fluked his success with Blackpool, and fluked his fixing-up of McAllister's mess..... fluked beating Man Utd.. fluked forcing Spurs to a replay... and fluked promotion.... He rallied the men from a goal down, and a man down on the last day last season ffs... Grayson is a seriously talented manager!!

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!! If Bates sacks Simon, i HONESTLY will not post on this forum again this season... not because i'm so sure he wont.. because he probably bloody will... but because it will prove to me that we have no hope.. If we have a chairman willing to sack a manager who has given us more success than any other in our recent history after one lovely month, then what is the point?

Simon is the best thing to happen to Leeds United for 15 years..

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I know im distanced from it a bit, being all the way over here in Aus..

But PERSONALLY, in Ken Bates i see someone who has saved our Club from oblivion, given us three managers who we couldnt really whinge about really (Wise if a flippin rear end in a top hat, but he did take us on a record breaking run).

He spends money wisely... He doesnt bother the manager.... as far as i know, he's never said "NO" to a signing requested by the gaff...

i fookin love the old colonel sanders looking flipp...

I just dont get why everyone else hates him

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
those are the same guy btw

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
rename me sir alex faguson tia

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
uhh Leeds got to a champions league semi-final under ridsdale mate I think he knows what he's doing?? Furthermore,

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Raightning posted:

On Steve Morison:

this is unironically how transfers work

also my new sig

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

The debt that Leeds had when I stepped down was not only manageable whilst Leeds remained in the Premier League but also not significant by comparison to debt levels at many Premier League Clubs today. Only the failure of the management after I left to keep Leeds in the Premier League saw the debt becoming a problem as it did at many established Premier League Clubs who were relegated eg Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton etc.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
now I wanna get all my leeds shirts and make some ridiculous conglomeration of all of them. gonna wear all the shirts. The Realest Fan

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The most disturbing aspect of Ken Bates’ impact at Leeds United has been his effect on us, the fans. We’ve changed; or rather, he has changed us. The most fundamental way this change expresses itself is in the way that we express ourselves – it’s right there, in the way we talk about Leeds United. Ken Bates has stolen our narrative of ourselves; he has blunted our desire to write our own history, to give vocal form to what we want from Leeds United Football Club.

It’s not a surprising result, and certainly not an accidental one, given the time and emphasis put into Bates’ programme notes, and his weekly radio addresses, with edited highlights printed on the official site; long before his Leeds tenure, Bates programme notes at Oldham and Chelsea came to be seen as a bizarre sort of institution. Bates’ regular soapboxing is often dismissed as an airing for his ego, but there’s more to it than that. Even if you don’t share his opinions, or if you try to ignore his often ugly oratorial style, you can’t pretend they aren’t there. You pick up on words and phrases and tones, and you hear them from the fans around you; and the focus of conversation on a match day becomes less about whether Paynter is starting ahead of Somma, but whether the Norwegian Supporters Club should pay up for memberships and how the Pavilion is doing.

Languages change: they evolve, new words are formed, old ones become more prominent; people need different words to talk about things they haven’t spoken of before. And language has changed at Leeds United. In our attempts to understand what Ken Bates is doing at our football club, the language of football, of Leeds United, has been replaced by the language of Ken Bates. And the language of Ken Bates is not the language of a football fan, but of a property developer.

And so, when an offer is made for our goalkeeper, the focus of the fans is not on the Leeds United question of whether a sale will be good for our team, but on the Batesian question of whether it represents “good business sense.” Fans talk about the balance of a contract, on freeing up wages, whether £1m now is a fair price when the player can leave for free in a year; and not about whether the team will be improved. A football team at its core is eleven players, and yet rather than have a footballer in the number one shirt, it makes “good business sense,” it’s a “good deal going forward,” to have a million quid instead. It’s better to have the money than to have the player. That’s not football fans talking; that’s Ken Bates.

The acceptance of the Kasper Schmeichel sale – assuming it happens – is the acceptance that Leeds United are now a selling club. That’s the logical conclusion of the idea that a transfer before Schmeichel’s contract runs out is “good business sense.” It follows that every player at the club has a price related to the remaining length of their contract, that each one has a tipping point at which the sold sticker is slapped across them. We can find a better keeper than Schmeichel, sure, but can we find better players to replace Snodgrass and Gradel when it becomes “good business sense” to sell them? Leeds United fans never used to think like this, and that was not just because we were arrogant sods; it was before Ken Bates convinced us that “good business sense” is more important than football, that money is better for the club than players.

Bates has used the spectre of Ridsdale to get us all scared, essentially. It’s how he’s managed to spend £7m on the East Stand development this close season. Through careful repetition – never backed up by proof – that “brick by brick” he’s “building” the club up, Bates has managed to convince the fans that executive boxes, shops, and eventually a hotel will lead directly to success on the pitch. And we repeat it to each other, and it replaces the football, and because we’re all saying it, we all think it’s true. Leeds fans used to talk about football, but now we talk about “maximising long term revenue streams,” “expanding our commercial interests,” about “safe investment in a guaranteed return.” Leeds fans now think that to spend £7m on a football player would be a momentous risk and a return to the spend-spend-spend era of Ridsdale; but that to spend £7m on corporate facilities is sound business thinking in the long term. Well, it’s very long term that we’re talking: the twenty-two new East Stand executive boxes are priced at £28,500(+VAT) per season; if they are all sold every season at that price, it will take eleven years to make £7m back. And that’s assuming they all sell; in Bates’ last years at Chelsea, Stamford Bridge was notorious for the number of executive boxes that were unsold and unused.

By listening to Ken Bates about the soundness of the commercial infrastructure he’s building, we’ve not just bought into long-term thinking, we’ve bought into never-never thinking. Yet somehow we believe that executive boxes today will mean more money for players tomorrow; that by waiting for the profits to show from the corporate side, we’ll be on a surer footing to spend on the football side. Well, if we can wait a decade, I suppose that’s alright.

It’s a triumph of fearmongering; it’s the triumph of the Ken Bates mantra. “Ridsdale, Ridsdale, Ridsdale; we must never repeat the mistakes of the past.” Out of our fear of having the last decade happen to us again, we’ve allowed Bates to convince us that Leeds United is not a football club anymore. Football clubs buy and sell players, and train them up through youth teams, in order that the eleven on the pitch will beat the other eleven on the pitch. But now we’re too scared to do it. We’re too frightened to buy a player in case it’s another Seth Johnson; we’re too fearful of the bottom line to turn down bids from our rivals. We won’t risk anything for football anymore; we’ve been told that too much risk is involved in getting Leeds United to compete on the pitch; that bricks and mortar and conference suites and hotels are somehow the path to success for a football club; we’ve been told it, and we’ve believed it.

I’m as involved as anyone. What I’d really like to do in this blog and in The Square Ball magazine is write wanky prose poems about Robert Snodgrass going to sleep and Luciano Becchio pretending to be Maradona. That’s where the fun is. Instead I’ve ended up writing stuff like this, where in order to point out where I feel Bates is destroying Leeds United I get dragged into his arena, forced into using his language, to stop talking about football and about Leeds United and to talk about executive boxes and corporate fine-dining instead. These aren’t the stories I want to write about Leeds United Football Club; these aren’t the words I want to be using. I long for the day when we can stop printing the transcripts of the Yorkshire Radio interviews on TSB; but Bates will have to stop using them to slag off and misinform Leeds United supporters first.

Bates’ mantra has relied on convincing Leeds fans that we aren’t going to repeat the mistakes of the past, that Ken Bates isn’t Peter Ridsdale, that ground improvements are ‘safer’ than team improvements. But at least Peter Ridsdale’s greatest mistakes were borne of a pursuit of football glory, were supposed to bring about success on the pitch, to keep us in the Champions League: ‘Living The Dream’ has become an ugly phrase to Leeds fans, but wasn’t it exactly the dream of every football club – to be as good at football as possible? Whose dream is it, precisely, to have the best executive catering arm of the second division, to have the highest room occupancy rates in the Football League? Do any fans long for the day when they’ll see a Leeds United hotel manager lift an award for corporate hospitality?

We as Leeds fans need to stop kidding ourselves that long-term revenue streams and diversification of property portfolios are what we want at our football club. We need to stop believing the lie that pursuit of football success will always end up the way it did with Ridsdale. We need to stop thinking about our football players in terms of debit and credit. We need to stop believing that the core business of a football club should be corporate hospitality. We need to admit that, due to Ken Bates’ influence, we’ve stopped talking about Leeds United as a football club; and we need to ask ourselves just what stories we want to tell each other about our football club in the future. We need to take control of our club’s narrative again; we need to make the story of Leeds United our story again, not the story according to Ken Bates. Take a look at a photo of Gordon Strachan with the League Championship trophy; of Billy Bremner lifting the FA Cup. Moments like that give our football club it’s whole reason to exist; those are the stories we used to have at our football club. That’s what we should talk about when we talk about Leeds United.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

ibroxmassive posted:

What's bad about that post?

Not a lot, I just love the ridiculous pomposity of it. Kind of like when Sid Lowe writes a thing and it's completely groan-inducingly wanky and pretentious but at the same time makes a fair point. It's like if John Galt was a Leeds fan

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Iggy Pop Barker posted:

Captain Luke McCormick: THAT'S RIGHT! Thats what you get! Look at you, car all banged up! WHO'S THE MAN? HUH? WHO'S THE MAN? Wait until I get another car! I am going to murder your kids RIGHT BESIDE YOU!

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The Late Michael Foot: Ha-ha-ha! Hello, boys! I'm back!

*drives car into Home Park executive box*