Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

CaptainRightful posted:

This is hardly bad enough to warrant inclusion in this thread. I think even Arsene mentioned his name at one point last summer.

his priorities are in the wrong place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
Try being an MLS supporter. Most football fans don't respect your league, and you constantly get 'soccer is for sissies' comments from random people in your own town, and you have to travel about the distance from London to Rome for the average away game.

I'd wager the Premiership is more popular in North America than our own domestic league. Hopefully that will help explain the general attitude of the average MLS supporter to those of you who wonder why we can be so defensive and pissed off.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
also, lets play a game trp!!!

Guess the Team:

quote:

I think you mean delusions of grandeur. Which we don't have by the way. We are former league champions, multi-cup winners with a large support globally. Any expectations we do have are justified, our away support is one of the best in the country.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

TyChan posted:

Liverpool?

No!!!

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

vyelkin posted:

Chelsea?
no!!!!

hints:

quote:

Don't get me wrong, we're a decidedly average side now with an angry group of fans who want our owner to change, but what our club brings to the table can not be disrespected.

quote:

Hopefully next season will be the one, but only if we can put together a decent team. And that will only happen once *****(obscured for difficulty!!) starts putting some money into the squad.

quote:

What's so bad about us? I like to think we're seen as some of the good guys in football :)

crappledan fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 12, 2012

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Spangly A posted:

First I thought Blackburn but now I think Arsenal, the idea someone thinks Arsenal have an away support threw me.

No!!!! Blackburn is a good guess though. :)

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

JFairfax posted:

Aston Villa?

no!!!

Eric Cantona posted:

Bolton?

they've won the league!!!

also lmao:

quote:

How would you know what happened to our "global fans"? Ask around and I think you'll find we've still got a hell of a lot of fans from around the world who would stick with us no matter what happened to the club.

crappledan fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 12, 2012

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
Wow, I didn't think it'd be this hard but at the same time I never realized how many clubs the previous quotes could be attributed to. According to one fan of our chippy, mystery Former League Winning Side, glory is around the corner though.

quote:

Fear us, for our time under [OMITTED] heralds the imminent arrival of a force so dark it is beyond comprehension, [CLUB NAME] will arise, sooner than expected. The trumpets have been sounded.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

jyrka posted:

Leeds?

:siren: ding ding ding we have the winner :siren:

your reward is my ceaseless adoration and respect

Thanks for playing everybody. :)

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

quote:

City fans annoy me because they are still in the mindset of a smaller club, "Everyone is against us - why does everyone hate us? Baww!".
They haven't yet adjusted to the fact that big successful clubs are usually hated. United Barca Arsenal fans etc just shrug their shoulders and accept that 90% of people want them to fail and that they will get ripped by everyone when they do so.
Take it with some dignity or laugh it off, make a joke about buying the league rather than sob and make up paragraphs of financial bullshit trying to act like you actually turn a profit. Be grateful you were picked at random by a qatari oil baron and don't throw all the toys out of the pram when the success you buy with it is questioned.

quote:

Their support is terrible, their first ever CL game in history this season and it wasn't even a sell out - and only their 3rd semi final against Liverpool in about 20 years had about 65% attendance.
Their atmosphere is much worse than ours, when you consider this season is the start of a golden age, and its one of our worst relatively speaking.
Etihad is always quiet seems to me, most of the crowd seem to be packed out with kids who buy up the discounted tickets (ofc they can offer huge discounted prices since the money isn't actually needed by them) Most of the ones on reddit are totally obsessed with Arsenal moreso than even United, I guess we are the ying to their yang in terms of how we do things, and it burns them to think about it.
I feel sorry for the real city fans, their club as they knew it no longer exists, in its place is a plastic qatari plaything. I guess that's where their resentment on here comes from.

quote:

I'm with you %100, Man City's way of doing things is harmful to football, takes away from the real essence of football. Throws everything that was history and philosophy, ideals, out of the window.
City is not even a team in my eyes, just a bunch of mercenaries bullying their way through the EPL.
Arsenal for me is the right way to do things, you are responsible for your actions and you build your future, staying true to your values.
City is cheating. It's like a football manager game with cheat codes. They don't deserve to win.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

quote:

Now, this is just a fun blog, and we’re all entitled to an opinion, AND I know that a few select readers of a blog are not a sample group for Arsenal fans in general, but I get the feeling that anything negative to say about this group shows that we are not loyal, that we are not true fans. It’s like during the W years of the USA, between 2000-2008, if you spoke out you weren’t a patriot. If you questioned the war you hated America, you terrorist..

quote:

Does anyone else find the row between Krul and Robin comical. It happens. It’s sports. Robin getting the last dig in and now Gutierrez says he is a bad person.
Really?
These guys should hear what goes on in other sports. Michael Jordan was the biggest talker in sports. It’s a sport that they get payed millions of dollars to play for a living. I don’t think it makes you a “bad person” to talk a little smack. It’s part of the game and the entertainment.

quote:

Yank Gooner MD Reply:
March 14th, 2012 at 10:32 pm
@Bunburyist,
Exactly good point! I felt bad for Jack making tweets about Chelski and getting absolutely killed for it. I mean the guy is a young Englishmen, he is going to be the next big name for England once this “old guard” is retired. Anyways, I wish he would cool it on the “Come on you Blues” comments, but I can appreciate his English pride. I was torn myself in who to root for. I of course detest our Western neighbors and want them to fail at everything, but they are old and having an extra match to play and more pressure to pile on could possibly be to our advantage. I mean who gives them a chance in hell of making the final? There’s no way with their current form.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

trem_two posted:

These are all from the same guy, posted within a span of about 15 minutes or so.

how i felt after the game last yr tbh

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Wario Tifo posted:

Last night was only the third time in my life when I self harmed.

I don't condone it and I regret it but Liverpool means the world to me.

Kenny, this scar is for you.

Stevie, this scar is for you.

Jamie, this scar is for you.

My scar is for Liverpool FC. This club is my family.

Please Kenny, do the right thing and step down.

I love you but it's hurting me too much now.
holy gently caress lmao

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
i make coffee and start computer and have a good luck morning wank

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
1 Liverpool 2 Man Utd 3 Man City 4 Arsenal

Liverpool finished 22 points behind United last season but only Sir Alex Ferguson amassed more points than Kenny Dalglish since the 'king' took over from Roy Hodgson.
Why will they win it? The Reds have four players who could grace any team in the Premier League: Pepe Reina, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll, then add to the mix promising youngsters like John Flanagan, new faces like Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing plus team spirit, desire and 21 years of hurt.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

quote:

So, I was talking to my friend the other day and we were discussing the EPL. He is a Newcastle fan and he asked me who was my favorite player. I said either RVP or Sagna. I also said that I call RVP "Beast" since he never misses the net. He siad to me, "Do you know what non-Gunners call RVP? rear end in a top hat who never loving misses."
I guess he has built a good reputaion for himself, being the top scorer in the EPL and 3rd in total this season (meaning Messi, Ronaldo, RVP).

this is making me laugh more than it should

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

holy gently caress

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
liverpool is on its knees and taking a gigantic load of foreign magic is the only way this nightmare is going to end imo

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
http://www.chelsea.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=528496

next season on the Premier League: out pops a smiling villas boas

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
For most of my life, and all of my time on SomethingAwful, the only two sports I have shown an interest in are football and baseball. The only time my life and soccer have crossed paths was a buddy's rec team I agreed to join the summer before I left for university. Having played lacrosse the last 9 years, the season became a yellow-card-ridden trial and error process of figuring out how much contact was allowed, and getting rid of the ball before something bad could happen that would end up resting on my shoulders. The World Cup 2 years ago got me thinking that it wouldn't be hard to be a fan, so after it ended I stayed on the eastern side of the pond to begin a journey.

There were already numerous threads started by others in the same position as me, so I figured this an excellent place to start. After hours upon hours of reading, it seemed my course of action was already laid: I would watch tons of games and let the team choose me, much in a Harry Potter's wand sort of way. This seems to induce some kind of extra close bond, which in the case of world class athletes I will say "no homo" but not object. I looked up the next good match to watch, and lucky for me it was tomorrow! Which is now today!!!

The match has just ended, for those of you who don't know it was FC Barcelona vs AC Milan, and ended 3-1 in Barca's (already working on my slang) favor. Going into this game, from my reading, I knew Barcelona was always a top contender in its league, and arguably the best in Spain and the world. I also knew Milan was the best in Italy and its league as well. But it seemed Barcelona always had bandwagon fans due to its success and was a flashy team. This greatly reminded me of our New England Patriots, a team I detest in the states, so I decided Barcelona was not a team I could get behind before the game even started.

During the game, I enjoyed watching it. It was obvious Milan didn't have much of a chance. Although Barcelona was clearly better, they were not extraordinarily interesting by any means. Messi, who I had read before was a great player, obviously fit his hype and it was easy to tell I was watching one of the great athletes of the sport. The few times Milan had the ball for an extended amount of time, they didn't exactly lose my interest. I would love to see this team against someone closer to their own caliber.

All in all, today was a great introduction to the sport. After being bombarded by the cornucopia of leagues and teams Europe has to offer, even crossing just one of my list of potential favorites feels like a good start. I look forward to my journey further into the sport, and will keep this updated as much as I can. I would love feedback, conversation, and discussion. Thanks!

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
Do all soccer fans hate people like me? Read the following.

I grew up playing soccer all my life until high school, when my school didn't have a team. I grew up watching the MLS and I am still a supporter of my team, Chicago Fire. I am from America, and unfortunately never have been to another country. But here is the thing...
I never really followed soccer until high school. Sure, I went to Fire games, but I didn't know the players, other teams, or anything outside of the USA for that matter. It all changed in high school around 2008 when the Euro Cup was getting started. It was then that I started watching the qualifiers, and even Premier League was being played on ESPN. It was here that I picked my favorite player, Fernando Torres. I always loved the number 9, since Ante Razov was my favorite Fire player. Torres was everything I wanted to be as a forward in my soccer days, and he was good. So, I picked my favorite team in the Euro Cup: Spain. They won, and I erupted. I quickly asked for a #9 jersey for Christmas, and have rooted for them ever since. I watched every single World Cup game, even when me and my parents went to DisneyWorld, I found a little Irish pub to watch.
My question is: Am I a disgrace or traitor to US soccer if Spain is my favorite team? I understand the bandwagon comments, and while I am not a life-long supporter of Spain, I don't call myself "bandwagon". I just feel that Spain is my team, not the US national team. Can this be respected?

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
You must live in a bubble(America). Watch EPL soccer. It's NOTHING like the NFL, MLB, NBA etc where they just tow the corporate line. They regularly criticize referees, players, FIFA, etc with CLASS. Avoiding criticism is not classy, it's being a rented slave.

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

TyChan posted:

See, luvd, this is how you do it:

should have done a guess the club with that one, it's brilliant

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
http://www.dearmrlevy.com/dml/2012/3/5/spurs-in-crisis-meltdown-demonstration-planned.html

quote:

This is the crux of why I'm writing to you Mr Levy. Not to offer you a solution of any type but as a gentleman, to offer you notice of a demonstration at the next game to be played at White Hart Lane. It's time to make a stand and visually assassinate your senses and those that dare to look into the eyes of the revolution.

I will be bringing with me to the game a pack of Bassetts Jelly Babies, just eleven of them, each one representative of the first team and laying them on my seat post-game then leaving the ground. The Jelly Babies are post-modern effigies (all heads will be bitten off and spat towards the directors box), a statement of transparency that I will not ignore or be quiet as you stand and allow my club to die of footballing leprosy.

I hope others will join me in this defiant stand against the current upheaval we are being put through. My vision is to see entire blocks, empty seated, covered with Jelly Babies with the supporters leaving the ground willing to sacrifice their support for the greater good. For the long term.

This was a pinnacle point in our season and we failed the test. We are in free-fall. It's all beautifully illustrated by our distinct lack of creativity with taking set pieces. A very subtle inception, if you will, that has been placed deep in the minds of THFC, unaware of its poison and influence. An inception that sees us losing 5-8 points minimum per season because we can never take one with any genuine intent and hit the target convincingly consistently. This is holding us back. How can a top tier side (if that's what we're disguising ourselves as) not be competent in taking free-kicks with bullish confidence? I'll tell why, because you know you'll make more money selling Bale and Modric in the summer than qualifying for the Champions League. Hence why no set piece expert was signed in the last window. You can't fool me. I see it all. The hurtful truth screams out to me.

11 games to go. Just 11 games. Have you even looked at the fixture list? Daunting. 3rd place. Seven points above 5th spot. Four points ahead of 4th spot. A poor demoralised showing for our endeavours. Doomed. We are doomed. This is no position for our club to be in. We are stranded in the ocean without a paddle for our surf board. The crest of a wave nowhere to be seen. Sharks circling us. Slowly sinking.

This, Mr Levy, is the end of days. The dawn of the Jelly Babies is upon us.

Biting regards,
Spooky
i almost feel bad ahahahahahahahaha

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

The Clit Avoider posted:

That's the most obvious pisstake in this thread.

which is why it's hilarious because a month later spurs have lost to norwich city at home and it's all coming true

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

TyChan posted:

lmfao

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Paperhouse posted:

guess who?????

yes, it's Pele

what the fuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
I think it's incredibly shameful for a team striving to be European champions to allow themselves to be completely dominated and still call it a "win"

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
best day in a long while

quote:

Me to! Rhight now I could destroy everything, but most of all Didier "Old" Drogba, who cannot stand anymore! I really think he has to end his carrer if he cannot play anymore! His show today was more than Penaldos! Unbelievebal!
How many chances did we had? 100? 1000? And we played a really brilliant game, so nobody can say Barca had problems with Chelsea! This result is pure luck- no more than luck!
And if I think back on yesterday match howmany chances Bayern had! Puh why is Fotbal sometimes so unjustice?

quote:

It was so clear that cesc was somwhere else with his head, posting stuff liek LONDONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!! on his social network isn't going to help him, he needs to focus, he is soooooo SLOOOOOOW I can't even believe. The only reason he started cause he is peps pet :'' (

quote:

It.s painfull 2 see that big teams use that "park the buss " tactic and they get away with ie , i mean u can expect that from Getafe , levante , osasuna but chelsea , RM and 2 be honest united didnt atack much in the final also , they had like 3 atempts . Sad very loving sad . Now i have to go to work tomorrow and listen 2 retarded ppl talking about the fact that barcelona is poo poo ...... Ibrahimovich > Sanchez !

quote:

I can't believe how freaking poo poo the finishing from our team is ( apart from Messi ), why don't they work on it more?

quote:

Sometimes, there's just no justice in football.

Drogba is the biggest loving flopping oval office in all of football and gets a goal.

quote:

I almost got my rear end kicked today... I ws watching the match. Evry rear end hole was supporting Chelsea, like every loving decision going their way and they shout like they've won the CL. And in the final move of the game we hit the post and busi()misses such a chance! I just grab whatever I could, throw it in whichever direction I could first see, almost broke the loving TV where we were watching the match!! And I just couldn't ctrl myself, just walked out furiously... I did hear some body throwing some thing at me

catharsis

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

The Anti-Semite posted:

He did look slow as hell tbf

we can rebuild him

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

peanut- posted:

lmfao

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

The Mash posted:

My favourite bit was "they'd lose faith, give up and defend" as if defending is akin to admitting defeat (see also oliwan in the La Liga thread..)

The La Liga thread brings out the worst in everyone

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Blue Screen Error posted:

lmao

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
happy st tots day!!111 :cheers: :xd: :woop: :roflolmao:

quote:

Its amzing how the psychological bender the Arese have been spun for several years continues. They are now spinning a new one for the fans - Spurs best team could not finish above Arse's worst team!! They take this all in and away they go skipping into the distance happy for another season!! They have been suckered for so long by Wanger - and he continous to spin it. Long may it continue!!! Keep taking it in!

Its not the gap they should be worried about, its the monumental shift that is happening as we speak!! It will only occur to them when in 2 years time, June 2014 to be exact. It will hit them then! Mind the SHIFT!!!

quote:

Keep on spinning in the spin mate. Enjoy your pathetic mind the gap and st tot day etc. you have just proved what we have been saying all along. Keep spinning in it and you won't see it coming. It's on it's way, the SHIFT is happening and if you think you are guaranteed membership to the top 4, then there is another think coming! You had 15 years, 15 years of nothing!! He spun you out big time and you all fell for it but keep with him, hang on in there for another 15 years!!

quote:

hotspurs : spot on. They've concocted a cover story and Wenger, who's lost the plot and only retains his position courtesy of RVP's goals, continues to mug off the lot of them. We're coming stronger again next season, and all the Podolskis in the world won't conceal the fact that their squad is weak, lacks bottle, and squeaked third via some Fulop blunders - Fulop's been watching too many instructional vids by H. Gomes Esq.

quote:

I thought the Arse were quite over the last few weeks!! We lose a 10 point lead - you come out like the true gutless bunch you are, seeking blood - mouthing off like you are top of the table and the championship already in the bag. You then lose a 6 point lead and you go hiding, seeking cover behind the web in true gutless fashion - nothing to be heard - wonder why!!

You then clinch 3rd by sheer luck and out you come again like zombies in the dark looking for scraps to feed on. What do you find - nothing but some glimmer of happiness in finishing 3rd, miles behind the other two, both in points and in cash!! God, you really are a sad pathetic bunch arent you.

What you cant see is the gradual shift that is occuring. Your so called success is based on 1.5 people. Look beyond this and you do not find very much - thats how fragile you are.

We are on the up mate - you cant see it - but its happening and id rather you lot sit there in igonrance and do what you do and continue to feed on the scraps that are left for you.-You are light years behind - so far behind , you need to look up your own arse to see how far behind you are.

:cheers: :xd: :woop: :roflolmao:

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

Pissflaps posted:

Why have you put those posts here?

get this:

the bad post was mine :xd:

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

8raz posted:

stop fishing posts from my post history

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

quote:

I'm out of town but I am wearing my jersey from the SECOND I get home until I go to bed the next evening. Such a wonderful feeling. As much as I love winning, I honestly hope some other team gets it next year so that they can feel as amazing as we Chelsea fans have tonight.

im shaking with rage

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/armchair-pundit/hollow-pursuit-trophies-122737542.html

quote:

What if Shearer had joined Manchester United instead of, say, Andy Cole?

He would have won things, for sure. But they won things anyway. Shearer's impact at Old Trafford could never compare with his importance to Newcastle, where he is still revered.

This European trophy-worship is not shared across the pond, where a different attitude prevails.

Americans would lionise Shearer for his loyalty and consistency - they would judge him on his extraordinary ability and not the number of championships. Nobody judges Peyton Manning's time as Indiananpolis Colts quarterback a failure because he won 'only' one Super Bowl in 13 years.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders
I wonder how many people here actually saw Green on a regular basis, instead of basing their opinion on that one fail against the US.
He's definitely one of England's best goalkeepers.