Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

quote:

you can't have a world cup in qatar cmon that's loving ridiculous it's hotter than the sun out there

quote:

In fairness they are so rich they are going to put air conditioning outdoors to keep the temperature down. Wish I had enough money to fight the sun...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

Won't be allowed to win it,
everything is secret from voting to instructions to referees
remember the Germany game and the goal that wasn't given,

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

ok I'm not going to look for any more because that is the peak

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Ok maybe one more

quote:

Here here fordy.

The more sanctimonious dribble I read and hear, the more I actually find myself sympathising with the 'hooligans'.

I was there, so I can speak with authority about what I saw. Yes, some people went on the pitch. Yes, some chairs were thrown. Yes, about ten people had minor injuries. And yes, there was a (gasp) firework let off. Well blow me down.

What there wasn't was any of the following:

'Missiles' - they are big things that rich countries use to blow up towns, not half empty bottles of pop.

'Ugly scenes' - anyone would think it was like Saw 4 or something if you believe the press.

'Violence' -unless of course you include the sometimes heavy handed use of batons by the Police.

'Intimidated children' - this one cracked me up! Most of the 'hooligans' themselves were about twelve.

'Frightened families' - I was with my Dad and my sister - we thought it was hilarious.

'Clashes outside the ground' - I walked through the 'clashes', and it was mostly the same 'intimidated children' on their mobiles trying to ape the overblown media-invention of the football hooligan stereotype.

At the end of the day mate, it was a bit of a laugh, and if you don't like it, don't go to Villa Park or St Andrews on Derby day. We know what to expect, and frankly for the most part, we enjoy the atmosphere of it.

Now bore off and worry about something important - like starving kids or something.

As for the World Cup, who cares? The last one was the equivalent of watching the last Manchester derby, only 3 times a day for a month. Russia (who, by the way, have possibly the worst hooligan problem in the world - which kinda blows your point out of the water), can keep it.

TimberJoe fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 2, 2010

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

I am a fan of both Chelsea and the Three Lions, I don't really know why England doesn't seem to produce the number of top-notch footballers that countries with a comparable population and love of football do. Part of it though, I think is that England elevates a lot of players for reasons of popularity or media savvy.

John Terry to me is the biggest example of this - in my opinion he has been Chelsea's third best defender and yet he still carries the cachet of being the English captain. Beckham has big appeal and is still good in set pieces, but in the first recent match with Cluj he looked totally smothered - and for a guy who doesn't score a bunch of goals this was a big problem - Fabio knows this. I don't know if Beckham will make it to the 2010 world cup. Wayne Rooney, and Frank Lampard always seem oddly out of place on the England squad... even though they are very good players, and Lampard was a transfer target to an Italain club over the summer. I get the impression there are too many egos...

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

There's no requirement for the PM to be Anglican, but they have a role in the appointment of CofE bishops, so the PM being Catholic throws up big (but utterly pointless) questions.

Yeah I'm reading Andrew Rawnsley's book and he says that Blair didn't want to reveal his Catholic leanings whilst in office for fear it would cause difficulty in his official liasons with the CoE.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Oh to be a hammer

quote:

Avram Grant is not having the best of starts for the hammers, i think all it will take is one or two consistent performances and were out of trouble. Some of the other teams around us are struggling to pick up points and playing badly, hammers are playing well in most games just been unlucky not to get a point out of some games. All the while Avram is in charge he has my support. Could a trip to Wembley be on the cards?? Lets hope so. COUI

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

ibroxmassive posted:

no.....no....:negative:

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Hardflip posted:

don't do this

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

For we are the chosen liverpool supporters and we may wander in the desert of the mid-table but Kenny will lead us to the land of milk and honey

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Newsflash: every team has fans like this

especially sunderland apparently

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

luvd posted:

'cunts' is okay but you gotta blank out the s**t and f**k

hate that; either swear or don't

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

a bloo bloo some other team bid for a player and there's unsubstantiated rumours, gently caress the oval office a bloo

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Good thing Spurs have all those English superstars like Gareth Bale and Rafael Van Der Vaart.

yeah all those great english players like Rory Delap let's get them in lads (no blacks)

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

I'm trying to work out what it is about Man Utd in particular that makes them racist

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

The lack of question marks in that second quote is really pissing me off

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Yeah this is usually more the standard:

I had the same dream when I fell asleep on the sofa mid-day saturday that week I had malaria

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

Its carp, the sizes are carp and anyone who forks out £40 for what is essentially a t-shirt needs their heads testing. And that's an end to it.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

Fuk u poo poo faced pompey skates im southampton 2 i die so fuk off nd go out of buissnes coz the saints dominate the south coast. its gonna be the st valentines day massacre all over again for the pompey skates

has to play

alryt u wanna play hard ball, fine i'll loving PLAY HARD BALL!! U SCUMMERS HAVE PISSED US OFF FROM THE VERY loving BEGINNING, SO U CAN CALL US SKATES BUT U A loving BUNCH OF INCEST, MOTHER loving, COCK SUCKING IMBRED TOSSERS!!!! ur symbol makes absoluteley no sense watsoever it was made for the actual football team, ours was made for the entire city, and fratton park is better than ur shithole, SO gently caress OFF U oval office BASTARD!!!

twice next season

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

Stoke will go down this season. On Saturday they scored through a very dodgy pen, two stonewall penalties for Liverpool were turned down and sitter after sitter was missed by Suarez, Henderson etc. All the luck that Stoke were due this season has come in one game. They'd better be wary of beachballs when they play Sunderland.

boo hoo

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

SteadfastMeat posted:

would unironically love to see a modern team line up with 6 forwards and a single defender like it was 1930

I think we should switch back to the classic 2-3-5 system but then I am a traditionalist

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

I knew this was a conspiracy all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

On 20 August, Kelly played for the whole match away to Arsenal[citation needed] and helped Liverpool keep a clean sheet in a 2–0 victory. He nearly scored in the second half, as his shot from 15 yards hit the outside of the post. England manager, Fabio Capello, was present at the match and applauded his performance.[13] On 27 August 2011, Kelly limped off the field due to hamstring strain in the match against Bolton Wanderers.

However he made a quick recovery from the hamstring strain as it wasn't as serious as first feared[14] On 21 September 2011, he was back in the lineup and played 86 minutes against Brigthon & Hove Albion[citation needed]. Later in the week, on 25 September 2011, he played the whole match against Wolverhampton Wanderers[citation needed]. Kelly continued his fine form against Manchester United in a 1–1 draw at Anfield on 15 October 2011[citation needed], keeping tricky winger Ashley Young quiet for the whole game[citation needed]. On 29 November he scored a header against Chelsea as Liverpool won 2-0 at Stamford Bridge, sending them through to the semi-finals of the League Cup.[15]