Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
You do all realise thats a parody yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Spam posted:

On Cabaye

On Messi

These all seem quite reasonable, especially the Liverpool one.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I reckon that guy's 9 year old son didn't make the grade somewhere and this is the result

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I find the short sighted prawn to be both the tastiest, and easiest to catch

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

blue footed boobie posted:

Below are the teams that Arsenal have yet to mathematically eliminate and are the only remaining challengers to Champions League Qualification
Team Matches Played Magic # % of remaining points needed to guarantee finishing ahead
Everton 31 18 95%
Tottenham 32 11 58%
Manchester United 32 9 47%
Southampton 32 3 16%
Newcastle 32 1 5%
Notes
Magic number and methodology are explained below
We've almost eliminated Newcastle. If they win out and we lose out, we will finish tied with them. (Not happening)
All we need to do is win one more game, or Southampton to lose one game to guarantee finishing ahead of them
Any combination of 3 with Arsenal wins or Manchester United losses will insure finishing ahead of United
The Tottenham magic number is 11. This means that St. Totteringham's day can be as early as in 2 matchdays. (A potential of 6 Magic Number points lost per matchday x2 matchdays will eliminate Sp*rs) Although they play Sunderland and West Brom next.
Everton are by far our biggest foes. This makes next weeks match one of the most important of the season. A win against them would drop their magic number from 18 to 12 and probably insure Champions League Qualification.
Magic Number Explained
Magic Number = Future Arsenal Points + Future Opponent Points Conceded that will ensure Arsenal finishing ahead of them
When the Magic Number = 0, it is mathematically impossible for the opponent to finish ahead of Arsenal. (If you look at Tottenham, this could be used as the St. Totteringham's Day Countdown)
ELI5: When the number drops to 0 Arsenal guarantee finishing ahead of that team. The number drops when Arsenal gain points and/or the team concedes points
Methodology
At the beginning of the season, every team has a potential of winning 38 games at 3 points/game = 114.
Adding one point ensures that when the magic number =0, it will result in finishing above rather than tied. So, for Arsenal, at the beginning of the season, their magic number for every team is 115. (114+1)
The magic number can never go up. Only down.
When Arsenal win 1 game (Let's say the first game is against Tottenham), they capture 3 points, making the threshold of finishing ahead of every team drop by 3 points. So now, Arsenal's magic number is 112. BUT, Tottenahm just conceded 3 points with the loss, meaning that the magic number for Spurs dropped an additional 3 points, meaning that the magic number for finishing ahead of Sp*rs is now 109. (This is where we get the phrase a "6 point game".
Congruently, if Arsenal draw, the magic number for every team drops by 1 (1 Arsenal point gained), if an opposing team draws, the magic number for them drops by 2 (2 points conceded). Throughout the season, these numbers keep dropping until there are 0 points which means it is impossible for that team to finish ahead of Arsenal. At the end of the season, if a team still has points, it means they finished ahead of Arsenal.
Final Equation = 115 - (Arsenal Points) - (Points conceded by the opposition)

Thats Numberwang

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

That post doesn't seem that unreasonable imo

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Great victory for Fulham and I think they will be up as they probably have coach that is above their level so he will get them up the table.

I have to say I want Norwich to go down so their disrespectful fans get what they deserve. The Premier League PR machine have done their best to sweep the Hughton stuff under the carpet, but a lot of the criticism Hughton got from some Norwich fans was of racial nature. Norwich not Man Utd, your a yo-yo club so why their fans feel they are entitled to stay in the EPL year in year out escapes me.

When the stuff got thrown at Hughton last week it was an utter disgrace and reminded me of the the Republicans in America who feel they don't have to give the President the same level of respect afforded to Presidents of the past because he is brown. The sacking of Hughton has basically removed all chance of Norwich staying up. It couldn't happen to more sinister bunch of fans. I hope when they do get relegated with the kids coach, they say they had bad results due to the colour of his skin like they did with Hughton. The Premier League doesn't need rural latent bigotry.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Ewar Woowar posted:

fast paced excitement (lots of scoring and statistics).

This is my favourite bit, fast paced exciting statistics

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

The first circle of Kronum contains the unbaptised and the virtuous pagans

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

in the Fashion and Style section loving hell

edit:

quote:

“Any time I’m at a book party or reading, and soccer comes up in conversation, I find myself surrounded by young men in shabby-genteel, loosely fitting tweed jackets gushing over the Gunners,” Ms. Schaap said. “In such settings, being an Arsenal supporter is even more predictable than having an M.F.A. or a pair of horn-rimmed glasses.”

lol this is great

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

That is my new favourite article its just perfect. Its managed to outdo any satire anyone could ever write.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I think my favourite bit is the digital brand strategist talking about Liverpool's working class roots

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Sport of the American thinking class, in the US. Look at NFL fans...do they look any different at times than what is depicted in your picture of fat Newcastle supporters? NFL and NBA fanbases have their fair share of douchebags and illiterates. If you ever sift through comments by fans on ESPN's Facebook postings on the NFL or NBA...or even posts by NBA on TNT, you'll see for yourself how illiterate they are. If you ever read through comments on MLS's Facebook postings, the grammar is noticeably better in my point of view.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Just hit the Eastside of the LFC on a mission trying to find Mr Stevie G

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJd6P9VYoLc

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Reminder, for about the 5th time, that there are more 30k+ capacity football stadiums sitting unused in Coventry than there are in the entire USA.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Without the Glazers Man U wouldn't be able to compete with Chelsea and City show some bloody respect to a United Legend.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

JR has already discussed transfer targets with DM. He has also opened lines of press communication. He is plenipotentiary.

quote:

The real lines of communication within the new structure will be interesting.
We have moved from an over-exclusive football fiefdom - with a temporary emperor figurehead, who takes the kitchen sink and the piggy bank with him, whenever anointed or deposed - to a multi-layered oversight committee with heavyweight voices and transfer, media and wise-owl influence.
The board will have reporting structures and accessible football-insider information on the assets in real-time, but who has who's ear in the new court of Norwich...

quote:

As PC and I have pointed out on several threads a good deal of what Hughton did, both in a club-wide and strict coaching sense, was intelligent, thoughtful and diligent. This would forever be the case with any single manager. The good departs with the bad. The cult and romance of the unilateral emperor makes addictive, wide-eyed copy for the credulous, but it is not good business. Its origins are in insecure football protectionism. I like the template I see now. I expect refinement, shifting roles and favourites at court and (I should be disappointed not to see) some Macchiavellian manoeuvrings to curry favour at court, which will generate some constructive stress, but the longer term consequence will be the dissolving of Chinese walls between business and football and some much-needed cross-pollination of information, ideas and principles of scrutiny and oversight from board to ball.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

oliwan posted:

is this written by a translation robot?

Its written by the patron saint of this thread

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I don't have that power otherwise I'd be renaming everyone everything

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Forget humble, athletic, and surprisingly articulate, I've got hot new dog whistles for you:

quote:

I loved Inamoto when he was at Fulham. A great player.

But I honestly think Japanese, Korean and Chinese players might be too nice for the Premier League or some other big European leagues. The players that have come over here have all been professional, honest, quiet types. Let's face it, to be a successful Premier League footballer, you’ve got to be a bit of a dick. Whether it’s cheating, diving and all the other little things on the pitch, or the scheming and manoeuvring off the pitch, they just don’t seem to get involved.

I get the same impression when I watch the Japan and Korea teams at the World Cup. Nice, honest, but naïve. Does anyone watch league football over there and know if it’s the same? Good on them though, it’s not a bad thing.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/03/arsenal-asian-players-arsene-wenger-miyaichi-park-inamoto I'm imagining all adjectives in the comments are racist code for Asian and its making me lol

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I don't think there's a lot wrong with that Liverpool article tbh

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

2015 Willie Vass indeed

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Probably because there's an actual team called that in, like, Ghana or one of those places, and MLS is entirely supported by cargo-culters

Its because a militia group during the American War of Independence (or to give it its proper name, English Civil War II), was called Hearts of Oak. Which seems like a fine allusion to make for a club bankrolled by an English team.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Thinking about how much change we've seen since Fergie's retirement - different players, different CEO, different managers, different assistants, different styles of football, different approach in the market - the only thing that's actually the same is the name of the club and the mighty stadium...

But only a tiny fraction of any PL club's fans actually go to matches, so to most Utd fans, the name of the club is the only real, tangible constant throughout.

Now, hypothetically speaking, imagine if rather than retiring, Fergie had moved to a different club, say Juventus, and immediately begun 'being Fergie' at Juventus - same style of football, same attitude on the touchline, same post match interview style, same way of dressing etc - and at the same time we were going through this dreary identity crisis that we are currently going through... I wonder how many Utd fans would slowly start morphing into Juve fans?

In this day and age, where you can watch pretty much any team on Earth live online, and where managers having a 'brand of football' unique to themselves is more and more of 'a thing', could the day come when fans will follow managers as well as clubs? Or even more than clubs?

After all, as we're seeing so clearly right now, a club is really just a name, a company. Whereas a manager is an actual personality of substance and real emotion.

Are Mourinho and Guardiola the beginning of this phenomenon...?

I bet you've got a favourite out of those two 'super-managers', right? And, as a neutral, whenever they play, regardless of what team they happen to be representing at the time, you root for the manager you 'support' out of them?

What say you?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

same way of dressing

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

TelekineticBear! posted:

an insanely good find this

So, using the hypothetical 'Fergie at Juventus' analogy, you'd support Louis Van Gaal's United over Sir Alex Ferguson's Juventus?

Would it definitely be that simple?

Would it definitely be more loyal?

For lots of fans, they supported Fergie as long as they supported United, and as I (probably superfluously) stated - one is alive and tangible and constant, and the other is really just a notion.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

chuggo is BACK posted:

I heavily and actively support Bayern, Liverpool, AC Milan, Barcelona, Schalke 04, United - both Newcastle and Manchester, Real Madrid, Juve and as of late, PSG. I also like Grasshoppers...and by "Grasshoppers", I mean the cocktail with Crème de menthe.

I forgot to mention Galatasaray, Inter, Werder Bremen, Celtic, PSV, Dynamo Kiev, Besikta, Liga de Quito, Ajax and Rangers. And "support" may be the wrong word as I don't give them any of my money. I'm actually more "fanatical" about them.

He forgot to mention Legia

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

That last paragraph is 100% correct

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Thats the worst thing ever written

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Honestly I think I'm going to be sick

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

I agree with that Arsenal picture

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

This must be what its like to have dyslexia

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

Because of that history, a tangle of state manipulation and sporting competition, soccer may never make it as a championship game in North America. It is, to put it in bluntly, un-American and un-Canadian. And it may not deserve to continue to make it elsewhere, either. In a world that increasingly relies on open markets and borderless trade and global exchange, the organization of soccer is an geo-political anachronism.

As soccer has unfolded under FIFA, the beautiful game has become a grotesque and overblown contest of nations, rather than just a contest of teams. How did a team sport become a game of national rivalries, pitting Germany against Spain, Uruguay against the Netherlands? And why, occasionally, do political leaders — French President Nicolas Sarkozy, for example, or former North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il — become directly involved in the operation of their national soccer franchise?

quote:

The authors of these books tend to think this is all history, and that the modern World Cup contests signal a new era in which democracy and globalization will lift soccer out of its dismal statist past into a glorious democratic future. Soccer belongs to liberal democracies. The subtitle of Soccernomics is: Why England Loses, Why Germany and Brazil Win, and Why the U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey — and even Iraq — are Destined to Become the Kings of the World’s Most Popular Sport.

The theory is that globalization of the sport, and rising incomes around the world, will turn soccer into a sport dominated by people in lands with rising incomes and greater freedom, with the U.S. and Japan — and, who knows, Canada — taking the lead. But I have my doubts. The history of soccer, as told in these books, seems totally incompatible with American and Canadian sport values and the free-market economic structure on which those values are based.

Wherever soccer is king, the market in sports competition has been and remains restricted or even non-existent. Even in England, where cricket is also a major sport, there’s a political class-driven explanation for cricket’s continued existence. In North America, where sport is entertainment and not national religion, the games people play and watch are determined by entrepreneurs, not despots and politicians. That competition has produced a sports economy that is dense and multifaceted. We have hockey, baseball, football, basketball — not one of which owes much to any politician, but all of which are rivals for national attention.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/terence-corcoran-wherever-soccer-goes-politics-and-power-follow

I wish the rest of the world had up to 4 sports to watch like North America does

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

heil... iitler?

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Given that we are in the soporific summer months, a little poetic licence is in order, so to augment the transfer speculation and theories on who to buy and sell, let us look at the Tactical principles and policies behind purchasing and
Squad building from the Manager's office Chair.
What are the real motivations and parameters that have priority? What factors affect squad decision-making, target identification and the creation of a new season Team unit?
We will naturally focus on the specifics of Norwich and the challenges that Alex Neil now faces and how he might go about achieving the maximum outcomes from the resources available to him.

Let us try to put our thoughts in priority order: Firstly we need to replace Tettey and Hoolahan.

I suspect that may have raised an eyebrow or two, but let us introduce a bit of game theory and explain why. As we move into the higher echelons of football, we must first address our most glaring weaknesses. Many of you will instinctively feel that this involves creating an existing squad list, mentally ranking them from strongest-to-weakest, then deleting from the bottom and adding to the top. There is some value in that process, though it is not the starting point as you might expect.

In previous Masterclasses we have looked at structures on the field and patterns of play. We have identified key strategic roles that need to be performed. These roles are the pivots around which the team functions, the areas and responsibilities that facilitate the rest of the action and the other players. So our first question actually is: What players can't be replaced if injured?
This leads us straight to Hoolahan and Tettey. They key defensive pivot role is of ever-increasing importance the higher we move. Our full backs are not likely to be as adventurous as previously, but conversely we are going to come under greater pressure, from far better players, who are notably more adept at playing in the pocket between midfield and central defensive areas. I have long advocated the role for Norwich - regardless of the individual who plays it - and so important is it that a recruit in this area is of primary importance. Tettey's distribution is not as crisp, nor his awareness of others as refined, as others who play the role, so an upgrade here is possible, an auxiliary a necessity.
The link between midfield and attack, the responsibility of the passa-gol (defence-splitting pass or assist), classically falls to the number 10. We have an almost unique player in Wes Hoolahan, and he neither should, nor can shoulder the burden. Wes's lack of propensity to shoot has long been his Achilles heel at the top level, and it was interesting to note that one of Alex Neil's first public statements about him was encouraging him in this regard. Good management. Without Hoolahan we lack the guile and top level technique to open strong defences. It may be that a fluid role for Redmond can be incorporated (he will not play in a flat 4 wide right position, which is far too tactically open for this league). A number 10 who threatens the goal, whilst provided some degree of central structural protection for the midfield, will be necessary. To indulge in a bit of fantasy football, Berbatov as a false 9, with Redmond running at pace from deep at10 would cause opposition causes some issues....

In the Premier specialised roles (such as those above) become more defined, more specialised and more disciplined. For Norwich, playing against better sides every week, more defensive structure will be required from all areas of the field. A fluid forward three is desirable and possible - and would certainly fit Neil's preferred coaching methodology, though this must include Weapons that hurt others tactically. It is not enough simply to have good players. Players that lack specific weapons that hurt or who lack fluidity in their positioning are unlikely to be retained or required.
When we talk about weapons, we mean Something that other coaches have to adjust for (the "we play our own game" mantra is rubbish.

In terms of the specifics of the Norwich squad - and following the top-to-bottom squad list method, we can observe that Whittaker not good enough to be unchallenged.
It would be my view that Martin even better suited to being a Centre Back in the Premier League than he was in the Championship. His fluidity of positioning and ability to move between the lines into three quarter areas is a prize commodity for a modern centre back. Importantly it allows full backs to play a little higher and midfielders to make receiving angles with more confidence.
The very best squads are able to attract, inspire and keep involved and motivated quality players from numbers 14-18. Some multi-position utility and team ethic character be one key factors when such players are not first team regulars, both for the individuals in questions and for the increased options it gives the manager.

The squad building process at this new level is about amortising the risk of Injuries. The key question might well not be the fan's favourite "who can we buy?", but rather "who can we not afford to get an injury?".

The Keeper position is tricky as it is based on false promises and frustration. One plays, the rest don't. How do you fulfil your above criteria then? Old keepers make good back up, being reliable, capable and grateful. Declan Rudd may well be a good solution - a Premier No2 at a young age is good - but surely he needs 100 first team games on his CV at some point?

Strikers are the Holy Grail and what you go down the back of the sofa for. They are the prettiest girl / boy in the class though, everyone wants them. They have choice. They are commensurately twice as expensive and there is a huge tendency to "project" in psychology terms, to want to believe in them so strongly that they develop mythical qualities that are not necessarily realisable on grass. They come with more variables (confidence, form and happiness affect striker performance like no other position). Nevertheless - with the money available - the odds are in scraping together everything you can and betting the farm on the best you can afford. No guarantees given.

Creation can be more important and cheaper. A good creative player, plus a set piece specialist, can be economically and financially more economic. A Fantasista who can whip free kicks and play for penalties is what we Italians revere.

In Norwich's case the Attributes required of a 10 - or the two wide between-the-line forward players that Neil favours - indicate what you will need from your 9. The rangy lone striker model is s good one and allows for a slower, tidy link player a la Wes. Without pace to trouble opposition defenders we will struggle though. The use and positioning and responsibilities asked of Redmond next year will be interesting. If he isn't central, he may be peripheral or moved on.

Whilst as fans we tend to focus on creation and goalscoring, I am afraid Negation will be key. Our Discipline is quite good from howson, Johnson, dorrans and Tettey. These 4 plus perhaps Redmond in a central, not flat role would be quite solid and have some threat from 10 or as a wider front 3 with a stronger Lallana type coming in from the left. This would offer a reasonable element of defensive cover with (say) Tettey, Dorrans and Johnson. Nobody can give the ball away in a flat 3 though, not sure about that. Invertedwingers are designed to offer the protection necessary to offset this. It is a great Risk to play open on wide players natural side otherwise. As with all previous Masterclasses, We must learn to look at what we risk and concede, not only what we gain going forward.

Fluidity between the lines and flexibility of movement and position is key in the premier. We have this with Hoolahan, Jerome, Martin and perhaps Grabban. This is not good enough or deep enough. Discipline between the lines in defence when under pressure from clever players in superior sides and creativity between the lines and troublesome weapons in attack will make or break our tactical plan.
We have a bedrock of good solid players and a nice structure and pattern of play. The momentum of success and the fearlessness of the manager will drive us forward, though clarity of thinking and quality additions in key pivot positions will keep us there. Focusing on our weaknesses, rather than playing fantasy football, is what' is in Alex Neil's In-tray.

Parma

Sent from my iPhone

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

St Evan Echoes posted:

great stinger at the end, 10/10

Its like the punchline to the world's longest joke

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

They must have been sitting on it for a while, they put it up almost right away after he scored these two stunning golazos yesterday

http://youtu.be/DN2bsi_Xdl0?t=145

Two goals against a Mickey Mouse team

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

Mickolution posted:

That's all correct, though.

TelekineticBear! posted:

nothing wrong with this imo

He's not Spanish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

ronniegardocki posted:

Reply with your favorite football position/role. Obviously mine is 'mediocentro', but central winger is also quality.

Dutch 9 Fixed Pivot