Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
Good evening. In less than a week, Argyle fans from here will join others from around the world. We will be launching the most difficult battle in football history.

PAFC -- that word should have new meaning for all of us in the next week.

We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that the date is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when all Argyle fans declared in one voice:

"We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We're going to live on!

We're going to survive!"

We will soon celebrate OUR Independence Day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
"Welcome to earth"

Simon Walton punches an oppressive Ridsdale, fractures his wrist, out injured for 2 months

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
Captain Luke McCormick: THAT'S RIGHT! Thats what you get! Look at you, car all banged up! WHO'S THE MAN? HUH? WHO'S THE MAN? Wait until I get another car! I am going to murder your kids RIGHT BESIDE YOU!

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
[people have gathered to welcome the aliens]
Elvis Fanatic: Oh god, I hope they bring back Barry Hayles

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
New Chairman Peter Ridsdale: Good morning.
[PA doesn't work. Turns it on]
New Chairman Peter Ridsdale: Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!
[PA still doesn't work. The club have had their electricity disconnected because they haven't paid their bills for over six months]
New Chairman Peter Ridsdale: (indicating toward goldfish) ah well, at least someone heard it.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
President Ian Holloway: It's a fine line between standing behind a principle and hiding behind one. You can tolerate a little compromise, if you're actually managing to get something accomplished.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
Paul Stapleton: [as Mariner is inspired with the idea for spending money on Kenny Cooper] What's the matter with you?
Paul Mariner: Genius.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
mods? Jean-Marc Boswell, 9th Laird of Auchinleck. thanks

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Ridsdale-earned-right-club/story-13223588-detail/story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

this article. the comments. all of it. im loving mad

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

quote:

As always the Sunday papers make interesting reading. Two particular articles caught my eye.

The first is an article about Luke Johnson’s forthcoming book ‘Start it up, Why running your own business is easier than you think’ and the second set of articles are about Apple and Steve Jobs.

What do they have in common?

The first extract from Luke Johnson’s book spends a lot of time saying how much he learnt from the things that failed, the things that went wrong.

Yes of course you learn from the good times but the failures teach you far more lessons.

As for Apple, a Company that recently overtook Exxon as the World’s biggest company and a company that is coming to terms with having to move on without its outstanding Chief Executive at the helm; in 1985, the same Steve Jobs was ousted from Apple in favour of John Sculley, an ex PepsiCo executive whom Steve Jobs himself had brought in to help him.

In the United Kingdom we vilify failure; we destroy not only people’s careers but also people’s lives if they are perceived to have made mistakes or failed. Recent examples are, Andy Hornsby at HBOS, Sir Fred Goodwin at RBS, Tony Hayward at BP and many many more.

What these individuals have in common is an outstanding background in business that got them to the very top of their professions before failure suddenly made them supposed lepers in the eyes of many. The remarkable thing about most so called failures is that they are often in big companies with the great and the good alongside them on their Boards but who magically disappear into anonymity when the brickbats start flying and people start the witch hunt for scapegoats.

In the United States it would be recognised that the skills that got people to the top in the first place can be enhanced with the lessons learned from failure. In the UK we just set out to destroy individuals. I myself have suffered for years from the perceived problems at Leeds United, many of these problems exacerbated or even initiated long after I had left but problems laid firmly at my door, quickly glossing over the outstanding five years on the field during my Chairmanship and casting a shadow over the lessons learnt and successfully put into practice in subsequent years.

Could Steve Jobs have succeeded if he had been a Chief Executive in the UK, being ousted from such a high profile business and so publicly sidelined? I doubt it!

So what are the implications?

Depressingly, I was told very recently by a senior executive in a local authority that they wouldn’t do anything that was vaguely entrepreneurial because their pension was more important than being seen to help. We risk breeding a society of people who are paid to stop people doing things or prefer to say no to every request because it makes for a quiet life. In a time of recession with rising unemployment, I would suggest that what this Country needs now is a ‘can do attitude’ rather than more and more box tickers whose only real power base is to say NO!

I have only met Luke Johnson once but he impressed me with his genuine desire to try things out, give new opportunities a chance and to encourage managed risk. His business career reflects that. Such attitudes appear to be rare in this Country. Regrettably I’ve never met Steve Jobs but I would love to. What I would love even more is to see the type of business culture and environment that is taken for granted in the US, encouraged and accepted by our Government and media alike, at a time when this Country needs it the most.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

SteadfastMeat posted:

this is entirely correct

uni math speccy geeks just need more time. look at arsene wenger

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

The Collector posted:

all I know is comolli signed BAE, Dawson,Berbatov, Bale, Modric aka Spurs' best players. and harry signed who:niko krancar, wilson palacios and peter crouch?
triffic.
The only mistake comolli ever made was hiring ramos, and even then he signed most of the players that pulled them out of the relegation zone.

Good old fashioned MAN Harry Redknapp has only managed to relegate and bankrupt his two previous clubs. But sure, whatever, football needs more redknapps and less comollis.

does comolli use 'moneyball'/'soccernomics' style methods? or is he just good at identifying talented footballers? apart from the one sentence you're focusing on, which is bollocks, the attack on 'soccernomics' poo poo is entirely correct

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

The Collector posted:

The mistake that all the anti-stats bashers make, is that they look at Oakland's dropoff as an indictment of Moneyball, when in fact it was/is a validation. Oakland stopped outperforming when the big money teams started using their methods as well.

I don't even know who Oakland are. Stats aren't useful in football to even the standard of most US sports let alone one like baseball where you can explain basically the whole sport through them. Any individual stat from goals scored right down to pass completion, ground covered, zonal coverage etc etc etc - any stat - is partially related to the specific team they're playing in. If Arsenal change half their team in the off-season, we've no idea whether any of Robin van Persie's stats stay constant. A striker scoring a goal every two games for Arsenal doesn't mean he'll score at a similar clip for Liverpool. A team could add a full 10% to their pass completion and create far less chances. A team of players that stand out in OPTA bullshit as Covering The Most Ground could be doing so because they're poo poo and always chasing the game, getting no possession. None of them mean anything unless you watch the games they come from, in which case you don't need to know whether they've 47 or 48% cross completion

Even the advanced stats that quality football teams have access to are of very dubious value - Peter Schmeichel famously topped all the ground covered charts for goalkeepers by miles by spending one game jogging around his penalty box when the ball was up the other end, just to make a point to his coaching staff who he felt put too much faith in them.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
I love football and my favourite teams are: Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United and Real Madrid. I've only liked football since last year after the World Cup but I watched every match because there were so many hot players lol but now I just love it so much. My favourite players are Esteban Granero, Bojan Krkic and Thiago Alcantara. I make edits but please don't steal them from me because this happens all the time and it's just so rude.

❒ TAKEN ❒ SINGLE ✔ football

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
:unsmigghh:

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
hm. wonder what Chels fans are saying about the John Terry allegations. must have shaken them up a bit?

quote:

He actually says 'Yeah, I never called you a loving black oval office, loving knobhead!' Terry has confirmed this in saying he only used it to deny using it (if that makes sense)!!! Stop trying to turn this into something it isn't.

quote:

Africa for Africans. Asia for Asians. White nations for everyone. There are no white homelands. Antiracists have made it their mission to ensure that every white nation and ONLY white nations are flooded and "assimilated" with nonwhites. It is supported by antiracists who run every white nation's government, media, corporations, education systems, universities, etc...the entire power structure. Antiracist is a code word for antiwhite and what they intend is genocide.

quote:

@PeteHappee These "anti-racists" love using their favorite attack word "Racist!" against anyone whom disagrees with their genocidal fantasy. These"anti-racists" only exist in White countries. Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white. These anti-whites use their attack word as if it has some sort of magical power. Their black magic has lost its effectiveness. I say "black magic" because that is exactly what it is. It is meant to invoke fear. That word has no power over us now. Cheers!

quote:

Do you really think John Terry would say that with Ashley Cole standing beside him let alone the fact that alot of his teams mates are black like Drogba,Malouda,Essien ect. This video does not provide evidence. We all know John Terry and his family have a history of being a bunch a loving scumbags so who knows maybe he did say it but hard evidence needs to be provided if your going to accuse someone with such serious allegations!!!!

some of my best co-workers are black!!!

quote:

i'm black myself, and i know he wasn't racist. He seemed to say 'blind'

quote:

Casper the ghost is blacker than Anton Ferdinand so its a bloody non starter. At least he didn't call him a friend of the family. That would have just been daft as Cafe Latte Ferdinand clearly has a job and doesn't stand on the side of the street all day watching cars go by and looking thuggish. Being black is an insult in itself so leave the different colored bastards alone. Troll up pussies!

quote:

I'm sure all of you are saints and havent called another race a friend of the family, wop, porkchop, paki, chink? Ya okay...

:stare:

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
that post does not belong in this thread

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Paperhouse posted:

No black players in Liverpool?

I mean, they have suarez and glen johnson, but is like we'd only have anderson and rafael and we don't.
are they racist or is just a coincidence?

"british jobs for british workers" - Kenny Dalglish, minutes after spending £35,012,000 on Andy Carroll and sending his scouts out to the continent to find some racisms

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

quote:

liverpool have a wonderfull stadium and great suporters, the match will be pleasant to watch

like players that look like me, players i can identify with
so obviously i don't like non white players

but in the future, i would like soccer to be reserved to white people, like it used to be

k...k....kenny?

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

SteadfastMeat posted:

Re: Leeds-Millwall on saturday

Darren Deadman wore a bra while delivering the fatal tombstone piledriver to Gary Speed. Trains. Rope. Venky's. Steroids. Memes. Posting.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Gr31lly posted:

Strictly speaking not football itself per say, but:

Crooks is the best. If you claim otherwise I will report you. thanks

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=283787.0

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
Xabi how many posts have you made on RAWK to the nearest thousand?

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

ephex posted:

Not exactly a bad post, but listening to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpgIPhXb1g

made me cringe forever :psyduck:

@holybungalow not to forget: CIA,FBI, MICROSOFT, PEOPLE's REPUBLIC OF CHINA, FIDEL CASTRO, JUSTIN BIEBER, THE SIMPSONS
why this Organisations are always on Barca's side? so pissed off!
XhavitDeari 9 minutes ago

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/13694943

http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/13694957

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
laughable. not corrupt or anything, just craven and cowardly from the fa. still, what mr alex wants, he gets.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
Welp, Luis will be gone before long then. No way he'll be able to stay here with all of the pressure and ridiculous media scrutiny. I wouldn't want to if I were in his shoes.

Fergy says Luis is a cheat, refs go out of their way to taunt him and scold his play. Utd player says Luis is a racist, banned for two months.

The status is quo. Political garbage.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
Should be just the right amount of games to include the Mancs @ The Toilet. Coincidence?

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
We should deliberately draw with Oldham to get the ban to include that.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
I was reading that statement to my fiancee then, i could feel my voice getting louder, shakier, just with pride and emotion...

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

quote:

So is the an 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' sort of thing? Could we get FIFA involved? They are always looking to gently caress over the English FA.

Platini would have a field day with this. His anti English rhetoric is astounding.

im crying :D

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
kennethdalglish Kenneth Dalglish
Very disappointed with today's verdict. This is the time when @luis16suarez needs our full support. Let's not let him walk alone. KD
52 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

El Ste posted:

Seen what is possibly one of the funniest posts of the year on RAWK (and the lad was actually serious):

That'll teach me to go on there and look for some sensible pre-match discussion.

well over 24 hours gone and I still crack up every time this crosses my mind. can we rename the thread Weekend Web: out pops a smiling glen johnson?

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
Suarez - victim of xenophobia?

He's been a hate figure since he arrived in the Premier League, but will this change? He's done stupid things in the past, but so has some British players and they're still respected. Bellamy & Savage are two examples of players whose image has changed dramatically. The alleged racism against Suarez being accepted as the absolute truth amongst the more unsavoury sections of footballing support hasn't helped his cause at all either.

Maradona was despised yet lauded for his genius. 30 years on and that hatred is all but gone. Fully believe the same thing will happen for Suarez. Fashionable to hate now, yet over time will be lauded only for his footballing brilliance.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Paperhouse posted:

white people cant juz face it...that we blacks r better than them in each ways...Chelsea is nothing without Drogba, Man City is nothing without Yaya Toure, Man utd is nothing without Evra...Arsenal wont hav been unbeaten if there is no Henry, Viera, Ashley Cole...Liverpool n Suarez r juz losers...

convincing argument tbh

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Raightning posted:

The whole "hoof ball", "score from throw ins" stereotype is lazy and bullshit.

Stoke have genuinely world class players now. Robert Huth is a a 2-time Premier League Champion, and he's only 27, Salif Diao is a Ligue 1 winner, League Cup winner, and has played at the World Cup Finals, Jermain Pennant helped take Liverpool to the Champions League final in 2007, Ryan Shawcross is one of England's brightest prospects in defence, a never-say-die powerful defender, Matthew Upson, another England hero, who scored at the last World Cup and won the Premier League with Arsenal in 2002, Peter Crouch is one of the world's most prolific strikers at international level, he is a Championship and FA Cup winner, his goal ratio for England is simply stunning, Jonathan Woodgate is a national treasure, League Cup winner, and former Real Madrid heavyweight. When you mix all this success and prestige with the GOAT arms of Rory Delap, you have one of the finest, and most unique football sides since the Dutch masters of the 1970s.

Stoke are taking Europe by storm, just like The Beatles did in America. This is the era of Pulis, of the Potteries, of Stoke.

100% correct. you've been warned about trolling.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Jose posted:

moneyball is the future

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
The FA created the Regulatory Commission, and appointed all the members. True/False?

The FA prosecuted the case as representatives of Evra. True/False?

The chairman of the commission is a partner at Blackstone, who also led the appeal on behalf of the FA & Rooney v. UEFA, and who seem to get a lot of FA business. True/False?

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
If he's been arrested for where's ur caravan comment it just goes to prove how pathetic this club is becoming ever since they got rid of "zoo corner" the atmosphere has been rubbish and imo bringing in a flag hasn't done nothing for it either and now arrests for alleged gypsy jokes r these sados going to complain when who's the wa**er in the gets shouted let's turn are club into a nice happy clappy no atmosphere club where chanting anything to the opposition will get u nicked or banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
I will respond to PETROLANGO, #10, and whilst it is difficult, I understand why it is easy to respond, but many intelligent posters have stated in the past "do not feed the Energy Creature". Did anyone see INSIDE-OUT on BBC NorthWest on Monday Night ? It was all about TROLLING. The provocative posters, or multi-ID's, probably just 2 maybe 3 TROLLS, on this LEP Forum that are doing this, not to be mistaken with the real WUMs. The INSIDE-OUT programme spoke to an expert from UCLAN whose advice was to "ignore them" so you do not satisfy their craving. This behaviour was also discussed on Panorama at 8:30, and whilst it is clearly a mental-health issue, there have been 2 successful prosecutions in this country for their behaviour. Their behaviour includes posting sickening comments on Facebook tribute pages to people who have recently died, or, even targeting kids who post on YouTube. One TROLL, interviewed, admitted to wanting to PROVOKE A REACTION. We all know who the posters are on here, and they are no different to the subject matter of these programmes on Monday evening (both available on the iPlayer). They crave attention in a provoking way. There are a couple of MP's taking up this issue at the moment, so hopefully there will be specific law in how to deal with the issue of TROLLS hiding behind anonymity issue in the near future, but in the meantime, and in the absence of a better system from the LEP to prevent posters having logins, I would suggest that if you are targeted, that you do not respond, but take a screenshot (for your evidence), log it, and report it to the LEP. Does anyone not realise that when the LEP shuts down the ability to post that something libellous has been written ? The one gratifying thing about all this, is that the TROLLS days are numbered, both for posting and potential custodial sentences, so a criminal record on the end of it. MP's are pushing now !