Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

quote:

If the "N WORD" is an unacceptable form of language then no one should be able to use it.

Cant have it both ways!

Its impossible for me to sing Dr Dre songs in public......lol

quote:

Well [Clarke Carlisle] wouldn't be happy would he being a n*gger himself

quote:

He constantly uses his skin colour as an excuse as not being racist. He openly mocks his race. What he says is offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
one from the archives here - the single worst article ever run in an even remotely respected publication: http://web.archive.org/web/20120301214258/http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/helen-lewis-hasteley/2011/02/football-women-money

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Elf Herland was so touched by this sacrifice that he retired from footbal to weave malaria nets full time

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
I don't get that pic but perhaps that's because I don't see colour

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
I am glad Sunderland have not buckled under pressure from the rabid left wing communist lovers and kept PDC. Keep them up or not at least he cares about how his players play and has a very strong work ethic. The other funny thing is that the most successful manager, a well known Liebour Party supporter, is well known to banish or sell players if they fall out with him like Beckham, Nistleroy, Stam, Keane to name a few. Why not attack him as some mad left wing communist then? You don't because he is successful. When you come down to it that is what ultimately matters in football to the supporters not some communist left wing ideology.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
https://twitter.com/talkSPORTDrive/status/385713792740376576

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
rips dean parrett we loaned you for a full season into probably the worst Plymouth Argyle squad in 125 years and sent you back to spurs in early november because you were poo poo.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

anyone skimreading that, Taylor in central defence isn't Steven Taylor, who's not terrible and was v.highly rated as a youngster. It's Martin Taylor, best known for crocking Eduardo and generally being unable to cope with attackers who can move both legs in tandem and sometimes at speed

Mail one is actually miles worse though, only Richards and Walcott even made the England squad (with Sinclair the only other decent shout to do so one day)

Babby Thatcher fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 19, 2013

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

"All three will be at their peak, and the onlooking David Beckham, who will probably retire from football at 30 to pursue a rock career, will smile in the stands as his successors shine."

lol the truth was even more unlikely and embarrassing

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
he's a five-tool philosopher and no mistake

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Eboracum posted:

his people

wow

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

trem_two posted:

The 1 Soccer Policy that Cripples the National Team all the way to 9 Year Olds

US Soccer not creating a true soccer pyramid with promotion & relegation.
That’s it!
You want youth development on par with the rest of the world?
You want our top flight pro teams at the level with the best in the world?
You want the National Team to consistently be a legit World Cup contender?
Well, we need a soccer pyramid – like the rest of the world – where the best can rise and the mediocre get punished.

this guy has been around forever and owns, is probably in the employ of MLS to be consistently making such a great proposal so terribly

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
https://twitter.com/eaamalyon/status/436500427958665216

"The problem lies in Man United fans who don't realise that the Eric Cantona incident resulted in the death of an innocent football fan"

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Ravel posted:

They boo him because he refused to accept Shawcross' apology and because there were rumours Ramsey prevented his call up to the Wales squad. That's what they claim anyway.

this is bollocks anyway, no? Shawcross refused overtures from Wales because he thought he could end up playing for England, which he was right on

stoke fans pretty crazy on this one, though not as crazy as the legions of arsenal bloggers that were frantically scouring archives to find past incidents of ryan shawcross, a central defender, committing fouls to prove he was a bad wool etc and should be banned until ramsey is fit again. was mainly the same fans that spent years bemoaning ramsey being in and around the first team.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Strawman posted:

So are rangers dead or just a laughing stock?

yes

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

vyelkin posted:

Would Donovan walk into the starting XI of Man United? Probably not, no.

even these ridiculous creatures can't bring themselves to claim that perhaps their best ever outfield player is better than Tom Cleverley

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_Pele_kill_his_brother

while Pele and his brother were playing the beutiful art of soccer his brother was chosen to become the goalkeeper little did his brother know that Pele 's shots were not to be competed with. as Pele shot the ball at his brother it accidently hit him in the chest he later died.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

quote:

Pulis has more votes than Jupp Heynckes??
36 people need a brain transplant, seriously!! Tony Pulis?? Did you people not learn from what Moyes has done to United? Get serious people…. Liverpool are on the verge of flying back to their perch and you’re talking about TONY F’ing PULIS!! Jurgen Klopp, Jupp Henckes, Louis van Gaal, those are the lines United should be thinking along. People forget that during his time, Sir Alex was the Jurgen Klopp of Aberdeen and by no means comparable to Moyes and co who have nothing, and whose only creditable achievements are keeping recently promoted sides IN the Premier League. Must Loosertool fans making fun of United when voting for Tony Pulis!! Goodness!

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
Last season, United was far from leading the Premier League in creating the lion’s share of shots, or shots on target. United ranked eighth of 20 teams in proportion of shots, and seventh in proportion of shots on target, according to Grayson; and seventh and fourth, respectively, according to Benjamin Pugsley, who uses a slightly different set of underlying numbers. (Soccer doesn’t yet have completely standardized stats — or, as, Pugsley puts it, “Football and numbers is really new.”)

How, then, did Manchester United nonetheless lead the league in goal differential? By leading the league in shooting percentage and placing fourth in save percentage. Grayson calls the sum of those two percentages, multiplied by 1,000, PDO (after its hockey name), and he’s shown that it has essentially no value in predicting future results. United led the Premier League in PDO by a big margin last year. It did the same the year before, which at the time prompted Grayson to forecast a United decline — a year too early, as it turned out.

So United’s path to the league title last year was a lucky one; its performance didn’t predict continued success this season. Sure enough, United’s PDO has declined from league-leading to seventh best, and that, combined with less-precipitous declines in share of shots and shots on target, has led to the club outscoring opponents by less than half a goal per game, compared to more than a goal per game last season.

Not only did United convert shots, and prevent shots, at unusually high — and unsustainable — rates last season. The club also won more matches than expected based on its goal differential. United won the league by 11 points over Manchester City last season. It also had 12 more points than expected based on its goals scored and allowed. This year, it’s getting about as many points as expected based on goal differential.

Was Ferguson just lucky last season, or was he able to conjure consistently high levels of shooting accuracy and goalkeeping even after his club’s edge in shots had eroded? On the one hand, his United clubs sustained high levels of PDO during his tenure. On the other hand, there’s some out-of-sample evidence from United’s Champions League performance, this season and last season.

In Ferguson’s last year at the helm, United played eight Champions League games, yielded nine more shots than it took and outscored opponents by two goals. Real Madrid eliminated United in the round of 16. In this season’s Champions League, under Moyes, United allowed 32 more shots than it attempted, yet United still outscored opponents by eight goals, advancing to the quarterfinal stage.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

mackintosh posted:

All these things could have been avoided had they only played football as kids like almost everyone did at some point in Europe.

lol imagine your average stats-wanker supporting his kid playing youth football. roaring at the other lads to pass to his son because of his optimal DzBOt and textbook hex sweeps or whatever

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Chris de Sperg posted:

What I like about Prof. Szymanski is his son has no interest in football at all,

neither does Prof. Szymanski tbf

lol an actual quote from that book

quote:

-- "In 2002 everyone knew that the obscure, bucktoothed Brazilian kid Ronaldinho must have lucked out with the free kick that sailed into England's net, because he couldn't have been good enough to place it deliberately." (commenting on the English belief of freakish bad luck for their national team).

quote:

2002..obscure...Ronaldinho

Babby Thatcher fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 24, 2014

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

chuggo is BACK posted:

jesus loving christ

ban americans from football

lol that all these hundreds of demands for every world cup to be held in america, with its monopoly on 'big stadiums', stem from all USMNT fans' dads still taking them to Disneyworld in 1994

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

cool lets have another WC in lovely soulless enormodomes that have never held a football match before and are over 9000 miles away from each other, I'm sure the USA won't be the worst world cup hosts in history a second time

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
imagine if England held a World Cup and put half the games in loving Twickenham.

That's you, that is

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

vyelkin posted:

Americans don't care about football because they're poo poo at it, and Americans are poo poo at football because they don't care about it. It's a wonderful cycle.

lol remember the extremely busy Women's World Cup thread filled with enthusiastic posters and then the US got knocked out by Japan and there were about 5 posts for the rest of the cup?

good times, great memories

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Bobby Digital posted:

I too remember when the US got knocked out by Japan in the final and wonder why there weren't more posts for the rest of the following games.

lmao whoops, must have been some other tournament against some other team then

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

trem_two posted:

Emphasis all original

yeah, we're much better now, our left back is a bad right winger

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Skinty McEdger posted:

That has to be a loving parody right?

Yes lets change the entire rules of the game because Americans don't like them.

that's been the basis of like 50% of new posters' thoughts during the 2006 and 2010 world cups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

and that panellist... was Albert Einstein