Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
this is an email I received from one of my good buddies following the WC announcement:

Crazy Milan Fan Nick M posted:

I would be very interested in traveling to Qatar to watch the World Cup, and although it's 12 years in the future, am already planning to do so. I agree that money was the primary driver and that political influence in FIFA was crucial to Qatar winning. But I also look at it this way. Every bidding nation had to tout their financial clout. Every bidding nation attempted to politic and garner influence in a number of ways. Qatar has deeper pockets. That's not their fault, it's down to their geography. And Qatar won more influence, and until there is solid evidence or proof that they 'bought' votes, I'm not going to tarnish their win by smearing their methods.

I'm surprised Qatar got it, but if you consider the fact that they've got money to burn, but still are doing things like developing a zero carbon-footprint AC system that could greatly impact the global environment in a positive way, building and then tearing down and reconstructing in poor nations the magnificent stadiums they are planning to build, and spending around $65B in infrastructure (roads, railway, seaport, etc) NOT including the stadiums themselves, this is a project that will have a lasting impact on Qatar, the Middle East, and let's be honest, the world for years to come.

From a football perspective, it probably makes the least sense. But in just about every other way, this is the bid that most capitalized on using the World Cup to create positive change and expose the world to a new corner of the globe that most people couldn't find on a map prior to yesterday.

I don't have a problem with it.

Sepp couldn't have said it better himself

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The Trinity Killer is a Liverpool fan :chord:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The news of Charlie Adam's signing has left me horizontal with delight.

The naysayers will be laughing, as has been easy to do at Liverpool for a while, but that might be the last laugh they have.

Adam will be worth countless points to Liverpool this season. He is part of a rare breed of midfielders that controls the tempo of the game. He is very strong on the ball, and has great vision for the pass. Further, being a Scot, he is the type of player who loves the cold and ice of England. This will be particularly useful in those Dec-Jan-Feb months when teams just need to keep the wins ticking over. Couple this signing with Kenny's 'win each game' attitude and I think we shall see a wonderful mix of strong defending and 'Hollywood' style play from Liverpool this season. He probably won't win you a Champs League, but we aint in one. An absolutely perfect Premier League signing.

Now, with Adam pulling the strings in the midfield and with the indefatigable Lucas alongside him breaking up attack after attack, expect plenty of goals in this Liverpool side. With no Champs League or Europa to tire the squad out, I think we will win around 23-25 games this season - enough to put us in the title race.

Charlie Adam might just be the most important signing in 20 years.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

Was that from the F365 mailbox? Lots of people laughing at it in the one after

Yep, exactly.

I guess he's the Liverpool version of infamous mailbox Villa fan Conor Byrne :downs:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Chuggo posted:

I agree with Pete Gill that Arsenal are by no means weakened by selling Clichy. Even without bringing in Gervino, Gibbs can easily fill in the shoes of Clichy. In Fact Gibbs is 200% a better left back than Clichy

Haha, I was just thinking about posting that one.

I liked PG's response - "That's a helluva conclusion to make given that Gibbs makes Abou Diaby appear as robust as concentre."

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Wazzerphuk posted:

Yes hes injured I know that. Im not meant to post this but............I was in the earl beaty and the players and management were having their after training lunch in there. Dembele hit Zamora on the head with a chip and Jol went mad. Grabbed Dembele by the scruff of the neck and slammed him onto the table next to me. I dont know what happened after because Jol looked at me and said :" dont look at me and if you tell anyone you will be next." All I know is there was alot of screaming and alot of glass.

This sounds like it could be the opening scene of the next Guy Ritchie movie.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
please just give him the internship so he doesn't make any more videos

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Chambilin in! scillaci out!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

delicious beef posted:

This is going around facebook at the moment :negative:

Wow

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
would it be a bit too meta to nominate posts from this thread FOR this thread?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
We could probably fill this whole thread with Bleacher Report "articles" but here's one of their latest gems, a twist on the recently cited and always classic "what American athletes would be totally awesome if they chose to play soccer instead of American Sport X?"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/926193-leo-messi-and-10-soccer-stars-who-could-have-thrived-in-the-nfl
Leo Messi and 10 Soccer Stars Who Could Have Thrived in the NFL. Roll the ugliness.

quote:

What if world soccer stars had grown up playing American football?

It's an interesting thought.

Say David Beckham grew up in Southern California instead of England. With that face, don't you think he would have been the quarterback of his local high school football team?

Regarding Leo Messi:

quote:

Bonus thought:
Let's get this out of the way early. Leo Messi, and every other player on this list, could also be a kicker. If you play soccer, you can kick a field goal.

It's kind of like how all guitarists can also play bass. It's the same thing, only with fewer intricacies.

GK Tim Howard - well, pretty much the whole thing:

quote:

Name: Tim Howard
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 210
Suggested NFL Position: Defensive back/emergency quarterback
Role Model: Charles Woodson
Why: He's American. He's 6'3", 210 and he's a goalkeeper.
The first part means he already knows the game.
The second part means he's got the size to play.
The third part means he knows how to read an offense.

Ronaldo, arguably one of the greatest football players of all time:

quote:

Name: Ronaldo
Height: 6'0"
Weight: At least 250
Suggested NFL Position: Lineman
Role Model: Leon Lett
Why: A quarterback can't do his thing without the hosses manning the offensive line.

Ronaldo, the original one, qualifies.

Dave Whelan would probably love the writer of this piece. This part makes you think:

quote:

Why: For whatever reason, there aren't many white running backs in the NFL. Bale would have to gain weight, but he definitely has the speed and power.
:psypop:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

ephex posted:

Best post in the history of TRP. ephex is an amazing lad.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
mods please rename me "A Force for Badness"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
rosinkey

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

irlZaphod posted:

I have no idea if this is serious or a troll or what I'm just I don't know what the heck

I can't stop laughing at the phrase YMCA Luis

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Replationship

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
This looks like something a middleschooler draws on their hand during detention but then gets permanently inked :staredog:

(Agger's still a p cool dude though)

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Think it's just a terrible pun using his name but man that's so bad

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
i like how Messi's clothes resemble Tom Hanks' suit in Big once he turned back into a boy. their faces are pretty dead-on though.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Byolante posted:

The club just did this to me in a email

Maybe it's the lighting in that photo but wow he looks old, especially for only 49. I'm sure Stoke will revitalize him though.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
1) Consistant

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Fly Emigrates

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Yeah these are amazing.

agbonlawhore

Fabricio COLLIEccini

Iain TOWIE

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

pointsofdata posted:

imo everyone who supports a team from another country should have to do this

that's pretty much how we do it in America, except we call it a "draft"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
"low percentage territory-based forward-thrusting" sounds like my junior year of high school, am i right, guys?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Michael Bradley is the American Jason Statham.

A bald man who kicks rear end, and in doing so makes all those around him feel both safe and full of hope. In the past, his physical commitment and mental tenacity have combined to make the midfielder a virtual security blanket simmering away at the heart of the U.S. national team.

So exactly how many Premier League teams' starting XI's would instantly be improved by the arrival of Bradley?

The magic number for me is 15 -- all of the teams apart from the five below:

1. Liverpool: Based on the belief that I would not have the temerity to mess with the midfield alchemy that has propelled the team on their intoxicating charge to the top of the table.

2. Chelsea: Jose Mourinho publicly craves a "real striker," which Bradley is not. The imperious return of Nemanja Matic suggests Bradley would be in danger of gaining a John Obi Mikel-esque number of minutes.

3. Manchester City: Hard to believe that in competing with coach Manuel Pellegrini's first choice of Yaya Toure, David Silva, Fernandinho and Samir Nasri, Bradley would not experience a Roma situation redux.

4. Everton: Though the Goodison Park faithful would no doubt welcome another team-first American with open arms, undersung heroes Gareth Barry and James McCarthy behind Ross Barkley would prevent Bradley from walking into the starting lineup.

5. Tottenham Hotspur: A gaggle of midfielders including Aaron Lennon, Paulinho, Etienne Capoue, Mousa Dembele, Andros Townsend, Nacer Chadli, Christian Eriksen and Gylfi Sigurdsson present too many options and too many possibilities for a coach like Tim Sherwood, whose selection process can veer toward the avant garde. A real possibility exists that Bradley could be "Clint Dempsey'd" at White Hart Lane.

Of the remaining 15, the biggest eyebrow-raiser would be Arsenal. Yet Arsene Wenger's arm-long injury list, which has claimed the erratic talent of Mesut Ozil, Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott, the suspect fitness of Aaron Ramsey and the degrading returns of Mikel Arteta must all be factored into the equation. Though Arsenal fans may resent the suggestion that a Serie A-defecting MLS player could immediately slot into their first team, with the North Londoners' grip on fourth place so tenuous the Toronto FC midfielder would be an instant upgrade.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Baldo Di Gregorio posted:

christ. CHRIST.

Baldo Di Gregorio, please rename me to virtual security blanket simmering away at the heart of the U.S. national team

I almost wish Bradley leaves MLS to come (back) to England so he can be Jozy 2.0, just to watch insanely deluded USMNT fans melt down all over again when he makes 8 sub appearances for a team that doesn't truly appreciate his talents and somehow are too dumb nay REFUSE to build the team around him.

edit: He is actually a decent player who works hard and could probably do a job in England. Unlike Jozy. Who is terrible and fat and lazy.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 8, 2014

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

euroboy posted:

Michael Bradley is a proper good player, are mental USMNT fans obsessed over him too or is it just Jozy?

No, the baffling delusion is really around Jozy. Bradley is a good player and has proved himself in Europe, far more than Jozy has. Like Finn said, it was more the hyperbolic writing.

I think it's just more than USMNT fans are desperate to be validated and for US players to be on the biggest stage since :911: #1. So any player with a whiff of potential or talent is suddenly bigged up and therefore should be a lynchpin in every team in the Champions League.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 8, 2014

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Christ, that is terrifying.

Ravel posted:

That crossover of Xavi and Iniesta is quite well done though

Where do you see Xavi and Iniesta in this or is :thejoke:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Coohoolin posted:

From facebook:

Before you just blow out your you know what, maybe you better take a closer look at your beloved sport. And, looks like many of the sports on this list are practiced all around the world, not just the US. Nor do you address the health or drug issues, which also are not limited to the US.
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the9...eading-the-way/

What is this insanely stupid Ultimate Tak Ball and why have I never heard of it? Apparently it combines football, Slam Ball and TASERS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M5_Jlio08k

:stare:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
*Pre-emptively reserving this post space for some gems from BigSoccer, GrantLand Jozy's publicist, etc following the USMNT game :confuoot:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Gravity Daemon, please rename me to "hear the accents"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

bad posts about football^2, provided by TRP's favorite football journalist Jamie Sanderson is also on the case:
http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/15/new-l...alonso-4833690/

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

how dare you, wrong loving thread.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Chillao posted:

"He reminds me very much of Cesc Fabregas," MacKinnon told BBC Radio Norfolk. "He's similar in appearance to Cesc and in his skill set.

I'd be curious to hear his perspective on Emile Hesley and Jozy Altodore.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Wrong thread, that's pretty funny IMO.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Ewar Woowar posted:

Guess what Premier League club he played for

Birmingham Nignogs?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

TheBigAristotle posted:

Click here for Fox Sports' promo for USA-Mexico ft. Donald Trump

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/652500478970867717

Fox (Sports) certainly knows its audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gigi Galli posted:

lol I will think about this

Yesssssss