Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

T. Finn posted:

lol

Sounds like one of those British ex-pats in Dubai who love having their own domestic servant, like the beaches, the shopping, being driven everywhere and eating at the local Brit-owned restaurant and being blissfully unaware of what is actually going on in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Couch posted:

http://www.eurosoccerfans.com/american-soccer-players-in-europe/

Spain is without doubt one of the best Soccer leagues in the world and their league battles against the English league on wich is really the best. Hard to compare the two in my opinion since Spain has the best team in the world while there is a big drop in quality after the top 2 teams.
In Spain there is only one American Soccer player, and he is considered one of the most talented players ever came out from the U.S.

Jozy Altidore

The grammatical errors make me think it is some kid's website. So I feel bad making fun of it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

quote:

It may not have led to any type of injury, but for me, this is the worst, most malicious foul I have ever seen. Disgusting.

The tackle in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twn7_4dWS5Q

Morisson's red card tackle on Ronaldo from a few years back

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

The Arsenal pie is £4.00. It is one of the best pies I've ever eaten and I've eaten some good pies. It's a chicken balti pie. If you ever go to the Emirates make sure you have one.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Why would he need to apologize? He has been treated so unfairly with all of this. I've followed this subject since day one and they're literally translating the Spanish dialogue Suarez and Evra had during that game.

That's beyond retarded. You can't just translate word by word and believe you actually have an exact meaning of what was said. It's just the same when you translate some things from English into Spanish, you need to take into account the cultural difference, keeping in mind some words don't mean the same in every country, etc.

I'm from Uruguay and I've seen SO many people talk about this without knowing absolutely NOTHING at all about how things are in my country. I read that experts in "Urugayan Spanish" said that the word "negro" is offensive in some cases in Uruguay. That's bullshit. I call 3 of my closest friends like that, I even had a highschool teacher I called negro. One of my friends dad is black and is called negro by everyone he knows. We use that term for anyone, no matter the skin tone. Over here, people don't consider it an insult, let alone racist. It's just a nickname. We also call people "rubio" or "rubia" = "blondie" or "flaco" = "slim" or "gordo" = fattie. Nobody gives a poo poo over here. I understand the English are completely different from us, take offense for things nobody would over here... but is it THAT hard to understand nobody is offended by those words over here? I've tried reasoning with a few English people I know from forums and nobody believes me. They think black people here "must have gotten used to the abuse" therefore they don't complain. Gosh, it just makes me rage. It's THAT PEOPLE HERE ARE PROUD of being what they are and couldn't care less if someone mentions their skin tone.

It's so hard for me to post this and not rage at everything and this whole subject, people talk and talk and don't know anything at all. I read in some article that Suarez said to Evra "because you're black" which is CLEARLY a word by word translation from our Spanish, an expression we use "porque sos negro" which means "because it's you" or "because poo poo happens". It's not meant to be serious at all, it's meant to be a joke. It has NOTHING to do with skin tone, since AS I said before, we call pretty much EVERYONE "negro" NO MATTER WHAT THEIR SKIN TONE IS.

I understand Luis hosed up though, he should've thought his words would be misunderstood in another country, but people need to shut the gently caress up about Luis "using racial slurs", because over here not a single word he said would EVER be considered offensive. All this was a language/cultural misunderstanding between two players who were trying to annoy each other in a football game and the FA made a huge deal out of, so did the English media, which I already hated before and now even more. Now Luis gets to have a tainted reputation over something completely silly.

A lot worse things are said in every football game, there have been team fights, people get shot and die when supporters of different teams fight, violent tackles... but noooo, a silly misunderstanding like this is on every front page in England.

That's your media, I hope you're proud of it. /rant over

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

quote:

'Arry also seems like a genuinely better person. His dodgy dealing and media antics are annoying, but the likes of Wenger and SAF genuinely come across as detestable cunts. I'd rather see Harry being over-friendly with the media (even if he sometimes uses it as a force for badness) than the others who just abuse and belittle them.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Do you guys know where I could find a Mata jersey for less than 90 euros? I mean, I really wanna help out the club... but I don't think I can bring myself to spend 90 euros on a jersey

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

quote:

Normally, if you have any opinion on who wins the English Premier League, it demonstrates your world view on sports, whether you have one or prefer not to cross borders set up by ESPN. But considering the way Manchester City won the Premier League title, even ESPN had to give a nod in its highlights, and you need not show your passport when opening a conversation today with: “Two goals in stoppage time to win the league? Did you see that? Holy cow.”

Because, yes, this kind of holy cow transcends sport, country or whether you knew Manchester had another team. It was a comeback for the ages, with the traditional power Manchester United by the side of a field 150 miles away waiting to accept the Premier League trophy as City trailed, 2-1, to the Queens Park Rangers at the end of regulation time. But those final, mystical minutes called stoppage time, or injury time, or extra time, turned into magical time as City scored two goals. Yes, for those who dislike soccer because they never seem to score any goals, that was two goals in a span of two minutes.

As Martin Rogers writes on Yahoo.com, it was a finish for the ages, the dramatic end of Manchester City’s 44-year title drought in the most surreal fashion, writes James Martin on ESPN.com. That Edin Dzeko of Bosnia and Sergio Agüero of Argentina scored the fateful goals and the celebration charge was led by an Italian mananger, Roberto Mancini, said a lot about how City has gone about combating the oh-so-English United dynasty (Manchester United had won its game at Sunderland on a goal by Britain’s Wayne Rooney and is coached by a sir, Alex Ferguson.) Of course, that’s because City is actually owned by Abu Dhabi oil tycoons and spent a fortune assembling this team, but hey, when it’s ManU on the other side of that divide, you get to be the underdogs nonetheless.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/sports/the-city-game.html

I think "the QPR" and "Britain's Wayne Rooney" should be new memes imo

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

lasagnegate

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

As somebody who come from this culture, I will try my best to explain the idea.

Now, during the actual Hillsborough Memorial game just like during the Munich Memorial game, all fans were pretty respectful. This is because this was something that was within the boundaries of good taste. No United fan sung songs about Hillsborough during the actual match. They sang "where's your famous Munich song" as a bit of a joke between the two supporters, perhaps even as an ironic ridiculing of an event or maybe challenging others to sing it and be seen as the bad guy.
But this didn't happen. United didn't approach the bad taste limit during the match.

Now, when the game was over then the period of mourning and respect was over for the fans and then reverted back to normal songs, including the murderers chant. This isn't a problem as there's no fans in the ground and they are celebrating on their own. Unless you've been to an away ground, don't start with your poo poo on this.

The point is, in their own way the hardcore fans paid respect to Hillsborough like we did to Munich by being silent on those often heard (at these matches) songs. After we've paid respect, we go back to our normal idea of support. The idea of support, for all of you who are happy to judge a culture that you aren't involved in, is to do whatever you can to wind up the opposition fans in an attempt to get the atmosphere rocking.

You guys are the equivalent of those cunts in Baseketball who said that the psyche out is unbelievably offensive and should be stopped.

You don't understand our culture yet feel free to pass judgement on it. United fans, and it does pain me to say this, did absolutely nothing wrong and behaved in exemplary fashion.

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 24, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Mickolution posted:

There seems to be this underlying thing in all of these articles that one little rule change will cause American fans to flood to football and that that's what everyone else wants. It's as if that's what 150 years of football has been building towards.

These type of articles pop up every 4 years. This is a new one though, usually it's about getting rid of "offsides" or something equally stupid and then the journalist goes back to covering loving mma or whatever for the next 4 years.

It's more that in the big American sports things can and often are changed very easily by a small committee, so people don't understand that football is much more conservative.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

gently caress him. I'm tired of the crap. He could have had it all with us, WE COULD HAVE HAD IT ALL LUKAKU. From day one he came in here bullshitting us that Chelsea was his boyhood club, and that he dreamed of being Chelsea's #9. gently caress off. He's just a disappointment. All the talent, all the potential in the world, and yet you refuse to take your talents and test them. Great players don't shy away from competition, especially not the sorry group of strikers we've had in the past couple of years. He's had our support since he's been here. Everyone has been pouring love in his direction, and defending him every chance they could. Personally, I'm done with Lukaku. I'm done supporting him. I'll be taking shots at him every chance I get, and every time he has those poor runs of form, which he is so accustomed to, I'll be laughing my butt off while Bamford/Costa/Any other promising striker we have rakes in goals. Whoever it is that is going be Chelsea's #9, will be our #9 not because they're more talented than Lukaku, but because they have the grit and heart to fight for it. I'm all in for Wilfried Bony as our #2 right now.
So long, Lukaku.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Fabregas is just another bloody Chelsea player now.

Sorry, but there it is.

Another one of the hordes of the overpaid, the parked, the stolen, the loaned, the returned-from-loan, of the great blood-money enterprise.

I personally hope Arsenal fans boo EVERY Chelsea players EVERY touch on Sunday.

But maybe they could hiss as well when Fabregas is on the ball.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

quote:

We are possibly dealing with the last great old style manager here. He can't be compared to that cadre of coaches like Hiddink, Mourinho, Advocaat, Capello etc who flit from club to club and will guarantee you trophies providing you give them an enormous budget before running out of steam after 2-3 years and moving on to another job without leaving a long term legacy behind.

Mourinho, for instance, would not only be unable to do the job that Wenger has done at Arsenal, he wouldn't even have the ambition to do it in the first place. He's merely a short term trophy winner (or trophy purchaser) who is presumably happy to accept that whatever legacy is left at Chelsea will be left by Abramovich's billions rather than any work done by the manager.

Wenger, however, is an empire builder whose legacy will be on a par with Busby or Shankly in the sense that any trophy won by Arsenal over the next few decades will be achieved on foundations laid down by Wenger.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

didn't vote, missing Jar-Jar

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Dunban posted:

(an actual image from that article)

Why would you put Rooney's head on aguero's body when noted rotund person fat Frank lampard played for city?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

JFairfax posted:

haha I loving love Gunnersuaras me

the most commitment seen from someone in an arsenal shirt in ages

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Suqit posted:

Get a Mac.

Right thread

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Xabi posted:

3.8, weak as piss, just like the Arsenal squad.

As a beer expert let me tell you it's also overpriced and overrated, a bit flat and it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

It's a big stretch to hear "ISIS where are you?" and think fans are taunting muslims.

Seems like pretty typical English black humor, much closer to "let's pretend we scored a goal" than "we're racist, we're racist, and thats the way we like it"

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

9/10, no smiling Glen Johnson

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I could see Bob Bradley having a good net spend, dbzibot and maybe even win a friendly tournament at arsenal.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

And what's the point of the random numbers above the bars?

That's the odds of them finishing top 4 if they end up with that number of points.

I mean it's somewhat interesting information, but it's the worst possible presentation

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

*Gary Neville orgasm noise*

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

There's a Betr Cech joke here I'm just not smart enough to come up with it

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Someone created their Chelsea dream team using Faceapp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

4-4-2 on the transition that morphs into a 4-3-3 in possession sequences. Have Ziyech drop a bit deep during buildup push Havertz high up. Havertz should drop back in possession and Ziyech should occupy the halfspaces. Havertz then should make late runs into the box. This way you reduce a bit of defensive burden from Havertz and give it to Ziyech. Timo Werner and Havertz on the transition is a potent weapon. Use Pulisic as a zone mover. Drop Mason deep as a pivot with Kante, not as a shuttling 8. Push Chilwell high up the pitch. Actually just enforce some positional discipline in these players now. They are usually afforded too much freedom. It's not good as the spaces aren't exploited with regularity you would want to, and defensive structure is spoilt because of it.