Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Mad Dragon posted:

Ah. I figured they used someone like hydromatic or ZF, like BMW does.

Well, Porsche used a Mercedes automatic on their flagship 928, if that says anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
I'm pretty sure one of those "calculators" is the controls for the mobile phone. The other looks like... a calculator. Maybe it's an aftermarket trip computer. Those are a bitch to install, with a little magnet widget you have to weld to the driveshaft and poo poo like that. Normally I hate "racing" seats, but those are awesome! Are they or something like them still made, or do they have a name?

Trouser Chilli you lucky bastard, the only time I did that to a bolt it was a high-grade bolt holding the head on a truck motor. Putting a slot in it broke a Craftsman screwdriver! (The kind with the square shaft to put a wrench on) I drilled it and put in an extractor, to which I applied force, causing it to immediately go "plink!" and vaporize. Now I had an extractor broken off in the bolt, which ate about twenty ultrahard drill bits of various compositions, including tool steel, high-speed steel, and other blends specifically designed to cut hard metals. It was finally defeated with the little cone-shaped burr removing thing on a Dremel tool, which of course was entirely consumed by the task. On a semi-related note, that Dremel (actually an ancient Weller Mini-shop) gave its life cutting the metal grab-bar in a formerly handicapped accessible shower, which was apparently made of titanium, because I've never seen anything harder, and it took a full package of carbon cutoff wheels to take a little chunk out of it to fit a shower door.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Red_October_7000 posted:

Trouser Chilli you lucky bastard, the only time I did that to a bolt it was a high-grade bolt holding the head on a truck motor. Putting a slot in it broke a Craftsman screwdriver! (The kind with the square shaft to put a wrench on) I drilled it and put in an extractor, to which I applied force, causing it to immediately go "plink!" and vaporize. Now I had an extractor broken off in the bolt, which ate about twenty ultrahard drill bits of various compositions, including tool steel, high-speed steel, and other blends specifically designed to cut hard metals. It was finally defeated with the little cone-shaped burr removing thing on a Dremel tool, which of course was entirely consumed by the task. On a semi-related note, that Dremel (actually an ancient Weller Mini-shop) gave its life cutting the metal grab-bar in a formerly handicapped accessible shower, which was apparently made of titanium, because I've never seen anything harder, and it took a full package of carbon cutoff wheels to take a little chunk out of it to fit a shower door.
That's quite a tirade but understandable. I distinctly remember getting pissed off when 4 of the the 28 year old bolts on my Celica Supra's auto tranny oil plan snapped off. After spending countless hours underneath the tight underside of that car, I broke two easy-outs and a drill bit. Instead I bought a cone-shaped wheel to sand off the burrs and sent it to my favorite mechanic to fix. gently caress. That. poo poo. Broken off bolts are the bane of my existence, and Trouser Chili, you are a lucky bastard, if only for the wide purchase you get in that engine bay.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

I don't know about the sport version, but I tried driving the regular C-class around some cones and it had absolutely horrible handling. The one I drove was AWD, too.

I absolutely love my W204 and have always had a great time at the track with it. The C300 luxury is probably what you ended up driving, and it's definitely not for hard cornering.

Content:
Here's a spy photo of the 2011 C63 Coupe that I'm tempted to trade mine in for..

I think I'll just save the cash and pickup the 2012 SLK instead.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HclzQpZl25k

Though I definitely have to agree with the comment earlier that Mercedes is making some of the best looking cars right now. Since their split with Chrysler they've been coming back into their own!

Solstice
Mar 12, 2002

Non-violent for the entire family!

Mr.Peabody posted:

Content:
Here's a spy photo of the 2011 C63 Coupe that I'm tempted to trade mine in for..

I think I'll just save the cash and pickup the 2012 SLK instead.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HclzQpZl25k

I lovelovelove my SLK55 but I can't wait to trade up for a C63 in a year or so. Having so little room in the car gets frustrating very quickly.

I guess I'd be less annoyed if my "big car" was even remotely interesting but my tow/haul vehicle is a Volvo XC90 5-cyl and driving it is loving torture. If you can do fun big-car + fun little-car, go whatever + SLK and you won't regret it. If you can't, though, you should save up for a fun mid-size like the C63. Otherwise you'll want to stab yourself every time you to go Home Depot to get anything larger than a potted plant.

To anyone who drives a non-AMG Benz post 1990ish: I just don't get you people. I'm sorry.

Solstice fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 14, 2010

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solstice posted:

To anyone who drives a non-AMG Benz post 1990ish: I just don't get you people. I'm sorry.
True, the final line in this article on Sniff Petrol sums up my feelings for MB (yes, I know it is a comedy site):

http://sniffpetrol.com/2010/11/17/mercedes-debuts-new-innovations/

quote:

Creasetronic is not the only Benz innovation to be announced at LA, however. ‘We are aware that many people think fondly of the simple, solid Mercedes cars of the 1970s and ‘80s,’ their spokesman continued. ‘However, our research shows that many younger people actually think fondly of the complicated, shoddy Mercedes cars of the 1990s. That is why we are proud to announce the new ‘Shitmatic’ option for the E- and CLS-class vehicles. By carefully benchmarking older cars we have programmed Shitmatic to introduce random electrical faults such as sticking windows, failed central locking and intermittent starting. It will be just like owning a W210 E-class in the ‘90s, especially when a couple of years have passed and you notice that it’s already rusting!’

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Solstice posted:

I lovelovelove my SLK55 but I can't wait to trade up for a C63 in a year or so. Having so little room in the car gets frustrating very quickly.

I guess I'd be less annoyed if my "big car" was even remotely interesting but my tow/haul vehicle is a Volvo XC90 5-cyl and driving it is loving torture. If you can do fun big-car + fun little-car, go whatever + SLK and you won't regret it. If you can't, though, you should save up for a fun mid-size like the C63.

Isn't the C63 a compact? E63 would be the midsize.

I'd drive a W221 S550 if it was warrantied and I needed a relatively boring full-size (and couldn't get an S600, S63, or S65 for whatever reason). It's so much better than the BMW 750/Lexus LS460/Audi A8.

p.s. get a god drat AMG, Mr. Peabody.

Nait Sirhc fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 14, 2010

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
So my nephew came over, I sold the 240d parts-car to him a couple weeks back. It's filthy because Toaster Pastry parked it under a tree on the side of his old house a left it there for months. I don't blame him, to Toaster Pastry it was just a parts car. Anyway, we finally washed it today. The soap was washing off the car colored white from all the damaged chalky paint rinsing off. However I found that some liberal application of wax would restore a shine. I gave my nephew a set of white MB hubcaps for Christmas.

Click here for the full 1296x968 image.

I have to say, it's really starting to look pretty good.

I've also decided I want my wheels to be white as well. So the mags are going to get powder-coated.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 22, 2010

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
My old car, now Trouser Chili's car.

'Twas the best car I have ever owned. Take good care of her, TC. :cheers:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

toaster_pastry posted:

'Twas the best car I have ever owned. Take good care of her, TC. :cheers:

Just washed her up yesterday. Still shines but that's to be expected. What was really surprising was how good the paint on the parts car actually is once we scrubbed off whatever was infesting it.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Nait Sirhc posted:

p.s. get a god drat AMG, Mr. Peabody.

It might come as a disappointment, but I think I'll be picking up a 2011 E 550 coupe next. Unfortunately, the E 63 is about $35k more expensive, doesn't come in coupe (yet) and I don't want to get rid of my C. I'm thinking about the SLK55, but I'm really digging the E coupe. e: I'll probably get that, fall out of love with my C, and eventually trade that towards the new SLK when it launches.

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 23, 2010

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I have located a 1979 300d with a 4 speed on the internets for 900 bucks. I have a 1977 300d (auto) already so I have an idea of what I am getting myself into.

Apparently, the interior is shot and the sunroof leaks (already looked it up, feel that I can fix that easily) but it "runs and drives good"; I figure there is more wrong with it for that price though.

Obviously, oil leaks, electrical and and suspension are all something I will check, but what else?
I know what to look for in an automatic transmission (violent as hell 1->2 shift) but I have no clue with a manual. This is compounded by the fact that I can not drive stick, which is part of the reason I want it. So what should I, and more importantly my manual capable friend who will be with me, look for?

An added bonus is that it will begin the process of getting newfangled BMWs (e39 + e46) out of my life.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I don't think the manual ever came in turbo here, so its going to again redefine ponderous performance. That and Mercedes shifters have quite possibly the worst shifter feel ever created by humans.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Baby Hitler posted:

That and Mercedes shifters have quite possibly the worst shifter feel ever created by humans.

Worse than VW cable shifters? The thought is..frightening.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

JnnyThndrs posted:

Worse than VW cable shifters? The thought is..frightening.

Having driven both, I'd give the slight edge to the Mercedes shifter. Though I wonder if BH and I have only experience with one car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

kimbo305 posted:

Having driven both, I'd give the slight edge to the Mercedes shifter. Though I wonder if BH and I have only experience with one car.

Either way they're never good - I'd learn to drive manual in something else TBH lest the Mercedes put you off manuals for life.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Drove a 240D, 5 speed euro swapped 300SD turbo, and a unimog. The unimog had the best shifter with descriptions of lovely and agricultural.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Well, one of the reasons I want to learn manual is so I can drive the 35' 1956 GM bus I own with a friend; it requires double clutching the 50 pound clutch and shifting requires a person to be angry. If anything is going to put me off of driving stick, it will be that thing.

Also, the auto transmission in my 1977 300d is dying; it slips going up almost every incline at this point. The transmission will be replaced/rebuilt once I sell off the BMWs. In the mean time, a working 300d will be fast as hell in comparison.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Baby Hitler posted:

Drove a 240D, 5 speed euro swapped 300SD turbo, and a unimog. The unimog had the best shifter with descriptions of lovely and agricultural.

Was that my 240d you drove when Toaster Pastry came to visit? The shifter feel is basically non-existent. It's not hard to figure out where you are in the pattern, but I was surprised by the complete lack of tension in the shifter. It just stays where-ever you put it, in gear or not. Reminds me of the shifter in the Arcade classic "Hard Drivin". When you move this, it does a thing, then something happens, and you accelerate even slower.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Mr.Peabody posted:

It might come as a disappointment, but I think I'll be picking up a 2011 E 550 coupe next. Unfortunately, the E 63 is about $35k more expensive, doesn't come in coupe (yet) and I don't want to get rid of my C. I'm thinking about the SLK55, but I'm really digging the E coupe. e: I'll probably get that, fall out of love with my C, and eventually trade that towards the new SLK when it launches.

So I've been digging into internets rumors and from what I'm hearing, the redesigned SLK55 will be available this summer and will premiere at the Geneva Autoshow in March. I've now delayed my plans to buy the E550, and will be waiting to see if this rumor pans out as true. If that's in fact the case, I will be getting my AMG this summer. I've also heard they're adding a ton of power to the engine,with rumors that it will go anywhere from 422-476 hp from the current 360. 2011 might just be a happy new year indeed! :smug:

E: The SLK 350 goes on sale in March for June delivery. It's expected that the SLK 55 will be released at Frankfurt in September, with delivery in 2012 so I don't think I'll be able to put it off that long. I'm now debating between the E550 and a CPO'd SL55 or something.. maybe I can find a recent model SL63 that's taken a huge hit on depreciation?

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 16, 2011

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Anyone with any experience replacing speakers in a W123? They sound pretty good for knocking on 30 years of age, but that's not exactly a glowing review. I've been finding some info that Mercedes saw fit to shove in some weird size speakers, but I've found little info regarding what will fit.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

trouser chili posted:

Anyone with any experience replacing speakers in a W123? They sound pretty good for knocking on 30 years of age, but that's not exactly a glowing review. I've been finding some info that Mercedes saw fit to shove in some weird size speakers, but I've found little info regarding what will fit.

The stock dash speakers are 3.5" but 4" speakers fit. I think the rears are 5.5", you can cut the shelf to fit larger ones. The dash speaker covers are also unassumingly sharp.

You can use the stock speaker wiring when replacing a headunit if you bypass the factory fader, I was too lazy to run new wires and did just that.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

You could do what I saw on a 300D that I looked at buying. They cut bigger holes into the dash and mounted ~5" speakers. It sounded pretty good but looked like complete poo poo. :v:

I purchased the car I mentioned earlier, they listed it as a manual 300D but it turned out to be a 240D. I need more practice driving stick but the car is not reliable enough for me to put ~500 miles a week on it.

I sold one of the 2 new fangled BMWs in my life and turned around and purchased a well kept 1985 300D Turbodiesel. I am digging the turbo, I sense that I will not purchase a naturally aspirated diesel ever again.

edit: On a side note, every single person that has driven the manual 240D likes how easy it is and have remarked that it is a great car to learn on. :colbert:

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 16, 2011

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I'm going to sell my 99 2-door Chevy Tahoe and buy a diesel mercedes that I can convert to run waste vegetable oil, because I'm a huge hippy and the idea of not paying much for fuel (except for my time invested) appeals to me.

Is a mid 80's 300D basically the pinnacle of reliability when it comes to a Mercedes that can be had for under $4k? Should I give up in finding a manual and just know now that I'm going to settle for an automatic?

Instruct me goons!

Edit: Actually what's a good price to pay for a clean example? I found a 1985 300TD for $5,995 with 160k on the clock, from a small auto dealer about a 2 hour drive from here. It looks really clean. Is that an unreasonable? It feels on the high side to me but I don't know.

Edit2: I plan to do all my own wrenching, but what years should I be avoiding? I've had a hard time finding a comprehensive guide as to what models follow in what series and when they stop and start. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 16, 2011

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

entrox posted:

Frankly, I don't understand why manual is still being offered - Mercedes-Benz is all about comfort and cruising in luxury.
:bustem:

rope kid fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 16, 2011

happyscrappyheropup
Oct 13, 2005

mark it zero

Mr.Peabody posted:

Wait for the coupes to get some age on them. Buying new sucks.

Having purchased several new Mercedes over the years, 2 AMG rides included, I'm all about CPO now. I picked up this gem last year and have enjoyed the hell out of it for less than 1/2 the price of new.

I paid less for this car than the depreciation hit I took buying a W211 E55 new in 2005 :lol:

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Mercedes makes the best looking wagons, nice car

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Rontalvos posted:

Is a mid 80's 300D basically the pinnacle of reliability when it comes to a Mercedes that can be had for under $4k? Should I give up in finding a manual and just know now that I'm going to settle for an automatic?

Probably not, no. In the US, that answer would likely be the 240d. The 300D is usually turbocharged (added complexity), and always has an automatic transmission. The automatic transmission, like drat-near everything else in the car, is vacuum controlled, so when your power locks quit working, your transmission doesn't shift right. Yes, really. The 300d also usually has more "luxury" crap like automatic climate control. This stuff, when it breaks, and it will break because it's 30 years old, is expensive to repair.

A base-model 240d with manual transmission is much easier to keep on the road, but you do get something like half the horsepower that a 300d would have. Also, I wouldn't run WVO, the W123 diesel tolerates it better than most, but I mean it "tolerates" it. Crack it into BIO and your car will be much happier. Also note that when you begin to run BIO you're likely to go through quite a few fuel filters at first, especially on a higher-mileage vehicle.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

happyscrappyheropup posted:

I've always loved Mercedes' especially their wagons, but I don't know anything about them. Whats the name of this car?

happyscrappyheropup
Oct 13, 2005

mark it zero

Clank posted:

I've always loved Mercedes' especially their wagons, but I don't know anything about them. Whats the name of this car?

E63.

I'm also a big fan of the Benz wagons. I heard they are not planning to import the W212 E63 Estate :( I was hoping that would replace my W211.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

If the car has been maintained decently, the car will easily hit 500k; if not, you will be in for major repairs.

I am doing my own wrenching and learning in the process. Buying a car that is over 2k will have less need for wrenching, especially over 3k. In the end you will spend at least ~2k, one way or another, for it to be reliable.

The manual 300D was only offered in Europe, the last one I saw on ebay was over 6k simply because it is so coveted. It is possible to convert a 300D to stick, taking a transmission from a 240D. The turbo 300D might not be the best candidate for a manual conversion iirc.

If the car has vacuum issues stay the gently caress away from the 1985 300D, there is a lot more voodoo magic than previous years. The 240D is easier to wrench on since it has way less magic under the hood but, as previously mentioned, it has a severe lack of power.

The w123 ran from 1977 to 1985 but in 1980 or 1981 they changed things. The engines got more power, things moved around in the engine bay, etc.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That's a gorgeous wagon.

I saw an E63 wagon the other day. It was amazing. They seem to be rare as unicorn poo poo.

Depreciation on the E55s is something to behold. My dad picked up a 2004 E55 about a year and a half ago with 16,000 miles on it. MSRP was close to 100, the second owner paid about 65, and he paid about 31.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

happyscrappyheropup posted:

Wait for the coupes to get some age on them. Buying new sucks.

Having purchased several new Mercedes over the years, 2 AMG rides included, I'm all about CPO now. I picked up this gem last year and have enjoyed the hell out of it for less than 1/2 the price of new.

I paid less for this car than the depreciation hit I took buying a W211 E55 new in 2005 :lol:

Yeah, I think this might be the right strategy. I found a CPO'd '08 CLS 63 that's in my price range.. thanks to $90k in depreciation. I might pick that up and wait until the '12 SLK 55 is available as a CPO to get rid of my C class. I don't like the idea of not ordering a car like an AMG from the factory, but if it means I can afford to buy two instead of one.. who can argue with that logic?

e: I have to wonder though, if I do buy it, should I post it in the "I just bought my dream car" thread. By the way, to sort the earlier bickering... the CLS is ALWAYS the best looking car in Mercedes' lineup.

Here's the car I'm looking at:

Click here for the full 881x388 image.

Mr.Peabody fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 17, 2011

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

GLK 350

The 18mpg average gas engine isn't that remarkable, but Autoblog claims the US will see the GLK with the turbo diesel 2.2L by Fall 2011. 368ft/lb of torque at 35mpg has me excited.

Autoblog link one and two.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 17, 2011

happyscrappyheropup
Oct 13, 2005

mark it zero

Mr.Peabody posted:

Yeah, I think this might be the right strategy. I found a CPO'd '08 CLS 63 that's in my price range.. thanks to $90k in depreciation. I might pick that up and wait until the '12 SLK 55 is available as a CPO to get rid of my C class. I don't like the idea of not ordering a car like an AMG from the factory, but if it means I can afford to buy two instead of one.. who can argue with that logic?

I've done it both ways. I'm happy to save $60k on a car and be the 2nd owner.

Mr.Peabody posted:

e: I have to wonder though, if I do buy it, should I post it in the "I just bought my dream car" thread. By the way, to sort the earlier bickering... the CLS is ALWAYS the best looking car in Mercedes' lineup.

Here's the car I'm looking at:

Click here for the full 881x388 image.

I'm not a big fan of the exterior of the CLS.

It seems like they rarely put up the numbers their platform twins run, too.

On the MB forum, it's rare to see the CLS AMGs sticking it to the E AMGs. It's closer with the 63s, there's a wider spread on the 55k cars.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
So after reading this thread and doing some research, I didn't realize that the 2007-2009 E550s have nearly 400 horsepower. Not sure if an AMG would be worth the extra cost given how well the regular V8 performs. I'm thinking that might be the sweet spot for used MBs in the next year or two, and the launch of the 2010 body style is probably not going to help the last gen's depreciation.

My 97 E420 is still going strong and a great car but it is getting up there in miles. I've heard horror stories about Benzes from that era being terribly unreliable but thankfully I've been pretty lucky so far. The drivetrain has been completely solid, however I've had issues with the window regulators and wiring for the tail lights and running lamps but that seems par for the course.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I've got a 2003 Sprinter with the OM617. 347000 miles and running relatively well, though I bet the injectors have seized into the head by now. They leak black crusty poo poo everywhere (not too uncommon) but I don't want to drop over two grand on new injectors, etc, etc. Pretty rad power train, but I think I ought to rebuild the turbo soon. Whenever I stick by arm into the engine bay, it usually comes out very black. Diesels get kinda gross as they get older.

happyscrappyheropup
Oct 13, 2005

mark it zero

Cyrezar posted:

So after reading this thread and doing some research, I didn't realize that the 2007-2009 E550s have nearly 400 horsepower. Not sure if an AMG would be worth the extra cost given how well the regular V8 performs. I'm thinking that might be the sweet spot for used MBs in the next year or two, and the launch of the 2010 body style is probably not going to help the last gen's depreciation.

It depends on what you're looking for in your ride. The 382hp V8 in the E550 is nice - I think they run low 13s in the 1/4. I had a 2004 SL500 with the old 302hp V8 and it was a dog.

If you get the chance, drive a 2007-09 E550 and then drive a 2007-09 E63.

Keep in mind that stuff like brakes (rotors/pads) on the AMG cars will be more expensive than their non-AMG brethren.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't had the opportunity yet to drive an E63 unfortunately. By the time I'm ready to seriously consider a purchase, I'm pretty sure they will be within my price range. Its definitely something I'll have to weigh, however I am a bit concerned about the operating costs/tires/brakes etc. as you mentioned. While certainly not as high strung as an M car, the AMGs are definitely more expensive to maintain than the regular E550 as far as wear items.

Even now, 07-09 E550s look to be selling for about 30-35K (CPO) depending on mileage. E63s are still 10-15k more. While I love the AMG power and the E55 is a blast to drive, there might be some diminishing returns considering this would be my DD. The E55 is almost anticlimactic, because as soon as you hit the throttle you are going to be at extralegal speeds within a few seconds.

That said, I would purchase and drive the poo poo out of an E63 if the price was right, maintenance be damned. That engine is amazing and I can't help but think it will be the last of its kind for a while since every manufacturer seems to be moving towards smaller displacement forced induction engines instead.

My family has had great experiences with Mercedes vehicles. I remember growing up my dad had a 1985 turbodiesel that he drove for well over 300,000 miles until someone ran a stoplight, hitting him and totaling the car.

The E420 I am driving now has been, for the most part, rock solid even though it is apparently one of the worst model years for reliability.

His E55 has required no maintenance other than fixing what the idiot PO did - put some 20" AMG style wheels on it, installed a lowering module, and added some carbon fiber bits (painted to match the car thankfully). However the work wasn't done correctly. They didn't use the right length of bolts on the wheels and didn't properly align the car after it was lowered. Then again, he has only driven it 4000 miles in the last eighteen months so I wouldn't expect much maintenance.

In comparison, the Fords in the family have needed more transmissions and engines than I can count. My mom's escape also burst into flames while parked in the garage and turned off, nearly burning the house down. Anecdotal information but I think as long as the MBs are maintained they will last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Argh, I just had a look at getting another secondhand Mercedes (maybe a recent E or CLS which seem to be very reasonable prices for powerful luxury cars) and the insurance here in the UK is obnoxiously high. Apparently those two are the most vandalised cars in Britain. It would equal the cost of the car over 5 years.