Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

ryanrs posted:

Why would you want to interface a W208 instrument cluster to W163 ML55 coolant level and washer fluid level sensors? W163 uses conductive sensors for these fluids, W208 uses float switches.

Is this a common swap of some sort, or a one-off frankenstein creation?

Frank Dillinger posted:

Youre right, why would you want to do that? Got some context? Im confused.

Someone asked me to design a translation circuit.

e: here it is, including gross engineering change order in the lower right corner.

e2: So I asked the guy and he says he's putting a CLK dash into a ML. Apparently he's already got the CLK steering wheel controls and paddle shifters working, which I don't think even existed in the ML. :psyduck:

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Sold the S600. Kid bought me out of my loan so im no longer upside down on it!
Total mileage put on the car, a little over 30k.
Total of poo poo replaced. One ABS accumulator. Radiator. Replaced the coils and plugs (had them rebuilt by the dude at v12icpack.com. replaced the lower control arms. Replaced front brakes. 2 sets of tires. Replaced pump for intercoolers.

Overall it was a fun adventure while it lasted but im super relieved not to have to worry about poo poo breaking anymore, making payments and generally just the headache that every single thing on that car is.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Preoptopus posted:

Sold the S600. Kid bought me out of my loan so im no longer upside down on it!
Total mileage put on the car, a little over 30k.
Total of poo poo replaced. One ABS accumulator. Radiator. Replaced the coils and plugs (had them rebuilt by the dude at v12icpack.com. replaced the lower control arms. Replaced front brakes. 2 sets of tires. Replaced pump for intercoolers.

Overall it was a fun adventure while it lasted but im super relieved not to have to worry about poo poo breaking anymore, making payments and generally just the headache that every single thing on that car is.

They are a headache. I might have had one week of ownership where everything (well at least the common stuff I use and notice) worked at the same time.

A real kick in the balls came late last year when the ABC valve body poo poo itself.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I owned an 8-series BMW for a few years, it was what I imagine owning a supercar is like. Every time you drive it youre worried about every noise, every hiccup, and when it does break its never ever cheap in parts or labour.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I've been given an E300de as a courtesy car. It has only a tiny bit of battery left, and I don't have a charger at home. I know the car will be drivable just on diesel, but how compromised will it be? Just wondering whether to ask for a pure diesel/petrol car instead, given I may have this car a few weeks.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It didn't come with one in the trunk maybe?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'll check but don't think so.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I've been given an E300de as a courtesy car. It has only a tiny bit of battery left, and I don't have a charger at home. I know the car will be drivable just on diesel, but how compromised will it be? Just wondering whether to ask for a pure diesel/petrol car instead, given I may have this car a few weeks.

There should be a button to enable charge mode on the dash or in the cluster. It will use the engine as a generator and charge the battery, should do it in an hour or less.

Edit: shouldnt be any real compromise, youre just missing out on the electric-only driving.

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 2, 2022

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Picked up a '97 C230 and am in the process of tidying it up a bit, am I crazy or are the general online resources for maintenance and troubleshooting for these cars pretty weak and/or incomplete (in English anyway). Every forum post on other forums when someone asks about a problem is just responded to with "go to the dealer" and then radio silence as to what the problem ever was.

So basically, am I missing some good forum or knowledge base for these early 90's era cars?

*Also what I'm trying to figure out is why after it warms up it intermittently sounds a little diesel-y but only under load, with the prrap prrap prrap being linked to vehicle speed not RPM. Doesn't always happen, only when warm.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DoesNotCompute posted:

Picked up a '97 C230 and am in the process of tidying it up a bit, am I crazy or are the general online resources for maintenance and troubleshooting for these cars pretty weak and/or incomplete (in English anyway). Every forum post on other forums when someone asks about a problem is just responded to with "go to the dealer" and then radio silence as to what the problem ever was.

So basically, am I missing some good forum or knowledge base for these early 90's era cars?

*Also what I'm trying to figure out is why after it warms up it intermittently sounds a little diesel-y but only under load, with the prrap prrap prrap being linked to vehicle speed not RPM. Doesn't always happen, only when warm.

I didn't find that there were very good online forums for the W202.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

I didn't find that there were very good online forums for the W202.

That's what I'm noticing, lots of 10 year old threads that end with "so did you ever figure out what it was?"

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Think your best resource is this thread and the "stupid questions" thread. I would ask your question there cause it doesn't sound like it's w202 specific.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Well, the E450/dealer tracker saga is over.

Local dealer ended up having the dealer we bought the car from cover the cost of removing it/fixing the broken OBD port. Proper port is installed now. As a bonus, the hacked on tracker is no longer pressing on the hood release cable, so the hood opens normally (it didn't before and I just thought it was supposed to be like that).

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 30, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Im not sure if this belongs in the stupid questions thread, but I kind of wanted to run it past Mercedes folks for some thoughts.

Context:
- Need to replace my 2008 Mazda 3. Its due for a bunch of work which is probably going to exceed the value of the car so its probably time.
- Not a power driver. Automatic Mazda 3 was just fine for my use. I dont ride for fun but more to get from A->B. Im the kind of guy who would get an automatic Porsche because the experience of driving doesnt really drive me.
- Budget probably mid 20s, 30 max ($CDN). I WFH and really cant justify spending more when I use it so rarely. When I do drive, its usually within a 250km radius.

OK so all that out of the way. I do need to replace my car, and after a lifetime of somewhat boring looking cars I think I mostly tolerated, Im kind of interested in a car that makes me smile every time I look at it. The mid 2010 Benz design language really does it for me. To be perfectly clear, I dont think that its the BEST use of my money, or honestly even a good use. For what I use a car for, a RAV4 or CRV would probably be a way more practical use of 25k, but I kind of want to be irresponsible for a change.

So Im kind of idly looking at a few Mercedes cars, typically ranging from 2013 through 2016. Some examples are:

- 2014 E-Class E350 4MATIC Sedan, 116k km, $24k
- 2013 E-Class E350 4MATIC Coupe, 81k km, $23k

Just some examples, not the totality of my search. Thats definitely the look Im going for so Im kind of letting my eyes lead the search first, and research second. I also dont know how to describe the Benz lineup in specific terms so apologies if I am spewing a lot of nonsense. This post is running parallel to doing the research so the knowledge will come in time.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, obviously the condition and maintenance history of a car depends on the individual vehicle, but in general is there a cost of ownership estimate that can be given for the mid 2010s era of Benz vehicles? If I get a 2015 CRV, I can be pretty confident that common problems are identified, and I can take it basically anywhere and parts are plentiful and service probably not terribly expensive. So outside of crazy uncommon poo poo happening, a CRV owner can probably say they spend X a year on service and maintance and maybe they have to replace this or that part every few years.

Of course an import Benz will be more specialized, but are there any red flags with this era of cars, E-class (or C-class, Im not really married to anything specific yet) where this would just be an awful idea?

Im not afraid for a large service bill or expensive parts, but what I am afraid of is not really knowing what a typical Mercedes cost of ownership is. If its high and I know that, I can make a good decision and may still throw practicality to the wind. If its absurdly high then yeah, Ill probably just let practicality win.

I dont know how well letting my eyes and heart drive my decision making is going to go over so maybe Im opening myself up for ridicule, and thats fine. But Id rather ask than guess :)

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The NA direct injection V6 and 7-speed auto on those cars are boringly reliable and relatively simple. No major common issues on those cars, but beware (as with any German car) of cars that have been modded and cars that have not been maintained properly. If things go really wrong, things at a dealer can get expensive quick, 200$ per hour labour adds up real fast.
The E-class is really where the Mercedes lineup gets good, everything below that does show some signs of value engineering.

If you PM me some VINs I can take a peek and hopefully give you some good info.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the info! If I really pursue these Ill definitely hit you up.

Boringly reliable but looks good is basically the motto for the car I want :)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there anything special regarding main battery replacement on a W213 (E450 wagon)? It has the 48V system as well, if that matters. Would connecting a battery maintainer while I replace the battery be a good/bad idea? I'm trying to figure out if the battery needs "coding" to the car like a BMW and it doesn't seem like it does?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
There is a battery replacement confirmation setting the front body control unit (SAM) but I dont think its critical to do it.The 48v system will be disabled as soon as you unplug the 12, so nothing to worry about there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I test drove a bunch of GLA250 and liked them. Totally understand why people say "why wouldn't you just get a Honda" when talking about the GLA250 but I still kind of felt at home in one. Tried the Q3 and X1 as well and the Benz stuck with me most.

I'm 5'10 so the cabin feels fine to me, but any taller and I think I'd be bumping my head for sure, and I guess the only thing that really weirded me out was the sight line blind spot because of the pillars right at your shoulder on the '17. I don't know if it was different on the '18 or not, but I thought the '18 pillar was set back more?

Going to try a '17 AMG45 GLA tomorrow just for fun because why not.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I feel that pillar blind spot pain. My ID.3 has some insane blind spots from the A-pillar. I think it's exacerbated because I'm tall (192cm) as well. I have to lean from side to side a ton to be sure that I didn't miss a cyclist or something, because they'll be completely hidden if I'm unlucky.

To follow on the E-class hype, the wagon has insane amounts cargo space. I thought a Volvo V70 was big, but the E-class is about 120L bigger with the rear seats up... so I'm looking for a w211 (or S211 to be correct) E350. Don't think I want or need the 4-matic though as it just seems like another maintenance / failure point and sips more gas. Might need specific tyres as well?

Of course, the E350 is kinda rare here, so it'll probably take a while to find one in good shape. I need to find a similar one to test sit in though as being tall with long legs is a recurring annoyance when it comes to getting comfortable in cars.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Top on my R129 is stuck, with the hard-top on. Rollbar won't go down even after reset. Kill me.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I just want to say I've been driving my S213 for about two years now and I still love it AND nothing serious has broken so far. Just rolled the odometer over to 90k the other day.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Took the AMG GLA for a test drive and it kind of closed the door on a 4Matic after a few spirited kilometers.

Paperwork is in. Looks like barring any disasters Ill own a 17 GLA45. Not looking forward to buying 91 at the pump but at least it isnt 94..

Kind of an impulse get if Im being honest, but the price was right and theres no other car that is really catching my eye so Im happy not to overthink it.

I know we all know what they look like but I cant stop gawking :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 8, 2023

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The 45s are pretty rowdy. Make sure the transmission and differential services are up to date and that the proper fluids with the correct additives have been used. My favourite AMG remains the 6.3 liter C-class though, quite possibly the best exhaust note ever from a cross-plane V8.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Can I have some music playback advice please? I'm looking at replacing my 10 year old daily, possibly with an e63 s estate. This has the Burmester system, though not the 3D version. As I am a dinosaur I still use CDs in my car, but obviously this is no longer an option with newer cars. Getting this to work right is essential to me, as music playback is one my big considerations in a car.

All my CDs are rippled into FLAC format using EAC. I have checked and supposedly the car will play FLAC files, but some people have reported various issues, such as tracks being listed alphabetically rather than in album order, and in some cases FLACs sounding flat, or inferior to MP3s. I did also read on a thread that if ripped via EAC, the software's default tags will work on the Mercedes Burmester system and thus it will play tracks in the correct album order.

So, my questions:

1. Is what I read about the tags true, and my EAC-ripped CDs will automatically play in album order?
2. What folder structure ought I to use?
3. What would be a recommended SD card for this purpose in terms of make, transfer rates etc? I cannot even find normal SD cards on Amazon - they all appear to be micro SD, so I'm a bit at sea with this
4. I read somewhere to format the SD card in FAT32 - is this correct?
5. Is there any truth in FLACs not playing so well in terms of sound quality on the Burmester? There may have been a distinction made between them playing better via SD card than USB, which would suit me.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Can I have some music playback advice please? I'm looking at replacing my 10 year old daily, possibly with an e63 s estate. This has the Burmester system, though not the 3D version. As I am a dinosaur I still use CDs in my car, but obviously this is no longer an option with newer cars. Getting this to work right is essential to me, as music playback is one my big considerations in a car.

All my CDs are rippled into FLAC format using EAC. I have checked and supposedly the car will play FLAC files, but some people have reported various issues, such as tracks being listed alphabetically rather than in album order, and in some cases FLACs sounding flat, or inferior to MP3s. I did also read on a thread that if ripped via EAC, the software's default tags will work on the Mercedes Burmester system and thus it will play tracks in the correct album order.

So, my questions:

1. Is what I read about the tags true, and my EAC-ripped CDs will automatically play in album order?
3. What would be a recommended SD card for this purpose in terms of make, transfer rates etc? I cannot even find normal SD cards on Amazon - they all appear to be micro SD, so I'm a bit at sea with this
5. Is there any truth in FLACs not playing so well in terms of sound quality on the Burmester? There may have been a distinction made between them playing better via SD card than USB, which would suit me.

Porsche base stereo that I won't have til next week, but I gather most of this applies to Burmeister (in Porsches, MB maybe). 1. Likely yes, however I have my filename and directories structured to also get this right as my <2007 era Toyota needed some help. 2. I will tell you in a week. The safest is probably something like /Artist/[year]Album/[track with leading zero]Song Title 3. I bought this SD card, there are plenty to choose from, spend a bit more and get a Sandisk or Lexar. Rates don't especially matter for playback. In my experience the important thing is to write one file at a time, preferably in one pass that matches the directory structure. 4. ExFat, though Fat32 is probably fine. 5. Probably rumors and general audiophile fud.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

So, my questions:

Simplest solution would be to use a CD player with an aux/USB or an FM transmitter if you still wanted to use CDs.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Day one with the GLA45:

- Love. Just love it.

- Cant figure out what the heck my right mirror is doing. Its angled down sometimes when Im backing into my driveway or a out of a parking spot, and I thought maybe I just forgot to set it correctly, but then when I find the adjuster and look up it seems to be back to where I remember setting it. Does it do some kind of weird collision avoidance HEY LOOK thing, or am I having a stroke?

Way too early to be comfortable with cars functionality but Ill get there. I was pretty overwhelmed emotionally driving it home so I tried to do as little button pushing as I could just to maintain focus. I did flip between S/S+/Race a lot on the ride home just to get a feel for what each does. Feel like Ill be studying the manual PDF for the next few days.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

- Cant figure out what the heck my right mirror is doing. Its angled down sometimes when Im backing into my driveway or a out of a parking spot, and I thought maybe I just forgot to set it correctly, but then when I find the adjuster and look up it seems to be back to where I remember setting it. Does it do some kind of weird collision avoidance HEY LOOK thing, or am I having a stroke?

it's so you can use it to avoid curbing your wheels when parking, it's an awesome feature that a bunch of cars have.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh my god, I didnt even remotely consider that. Just glad to know what the heck is going on so I can stop thinking I did something wrong :lol:

I have to check my VIN to see if the steering wheel is coded as the alcantara one, because if it is its in dire need of detailing it feels like solid leather which is either really cool or really gross.

E: Its the grosser of the two options, apparently. Maybe not gross, but whoever had this car before me must have had an iron grip on this wheel since its basically no longer pseudo-suede but has matted together into a pseudo-leather :stronk:.. Guess Im spending a bit of time looking up how to restore alcantara/dinamica to its fluffy state.

E2: Also kind of funny that Im 96k km in and the how to break the engine in sticker is still stuck to the inside of the window :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 13, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My month+ impression of the GLA45:

- Love driving it sounds like a little pop factory when I floor it. Not sure my tiny commute warrants an AMG but Im glad I took the chance vs a standard GLA..

- Hate paying for 92 octane but thankfully WFH will (theoretically) make a tank last. Now if only I could stop justifying tiny errand runs, just to get behind the wheel, Id /actually/ stretch that tank

- I have NO idea what is wrong with me, but I have yet to actually get out of my car and find I parked it straight. Im ALWAYS at a slight angle. I THINK I blame the flare on the sides compared to my old Mazda 3, feels like Im coming in straight when Im actually not. I should learn to trust the backup camera more to be a good reference at some point.

- Boy I sure hope its easier to maintain a clean black car once were out of snow and salt season. But Im bracing for non-stop filth.

And sure enough:

- Hashtag used car moneypit: one of my rear speakers is crackling on and off and Im sure itll be a pricey MB visit once I get annoyed enough with it. Ironically if it were the amp it would be a simpler DIY swap on the GLA vs fishing around a wiring loom.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

- Boy I sure hope its easier to maintain a clean black car once were out of snow and salt season. But Im bracing for non-stop filth.

Say hello to pollen... and dust... and water spots from when rain dries on the paint.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I bought a some assembly required 1958 180D. It's absolutely hilarious how primative it is compared to my 1966 200d. It drove itself onto the trailer but after <insert wallet here> at the classic center, I expect it to be able to be drivable next week. It actually should be a somewhat reasonable cost as it's just a hose, a freeze plug, and a couple bushings.

One killer annoyance is that is has these strange things that I hear are called lug nuts. I can't even.

Turns out that the floor shifter from a 190sl got swapped into the car so it's a bit of a unique beast.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Hi guys, just got an EQS and I'm wondering how you can set the default parking camera position? When the car detects I'm going into a parking space(not often) everything is fine, I get the normal overhead 360 view which is great.

But when I press the parking button on the center console, it defaults to this weird 45 degree over the shoulder view, changing it manually does nothing as the next time I press the button it defaults to that view again. On every other car I've ever driven pressing the parking camera button opens up the top down 360 view, does anybody know how to set that as the default?

Thanks!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Gamesguy posted:

Hi guys, just got an EQS and I'm wondering how you can set the default parking camera position? When the car detects I'm going into a parking space(not often) everything is fine, I get the normal overhead 360 view which is great.

But when I press the parking button on the center console, it defaults to this weird 45 degree over the shoulder view, changing it manually does nothing as the next time I press the button it defaults to that view again. On every other car I've ever driven pressing the parking camera button opens up the top down 360 view, does anybody know how to set that as the default?

Thanks!

Ill see if I can find anything tomorrow, but honestly I wouldnt be hopeful. Mercedes has their defaults for things and thats just kind of what you get. How do you like it so far?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Frank Dillinger posted:

I’ll see if I can find anything tomorrow, but honestly I wouldn’t be hopeful. Mercedes has their defaults for things and that’s just kind of what you get. How do you like it so far?

I love my current car but honestly finding out this fact right here when I bought it means I probably won't buy another Merc. I don't like going thru a pre flight checklist every time I get in the car to change everything off whatever goofy default.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Frank Dillinger posted:

Ill see if I can find anything tomorrow, but honestly I wouldnt be hopeful. Mercedes has their defaults for things and thats just kind of what you get. How do you like it so far?

Pedals are heavier than I'm used to, car just feels heavy and this is coming from another electric SUV. It's an amazing highway cruiser though - especially with the self driving features. Couple of little annoyances here and there, getting a little bit of regret that I didn't go for the BMW iX. I didn't think I would miss the performance but now I kinda am.

And yeah everything defaulting to a certain setting is annoying(like drive settings and recuperation settings), and the stupid profile login thing that doesn't recognize my fingerprint or my voice is also annoying. It's not quite a pre-drive checklist but there's like 3-4 settings I have to toggle before driving.

Also is there seriously no way to activate auto brake hold without stomping on the brakes like I'm trying to squash someone? Every other car I had turned it on automatically if you stopped for more than a second or two.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 6, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I only have to depress slightly harder than normal to activate HOLD but I imagine slightly harder is subjective.

Speaking of defaults

I did something playing with the interior memory settings on my GLA45 and now that right mirror reversing curb-watch functionality isnt activating. I *think* googling says I just have to throw it into reverse, select the right mirror and adjust it down and itll retain again so Im going to try when I get back home in a few weeks, but wondering if anyone can confirm?

I was definitely monkeying with the M/1/2/3 settings buttons and can easily see myself having reset something.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 6, 2023

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I only have to depress slightly harder than normal to activate HOLD but I imagine slightly harder is subjective.

Speaking of defaults

I did something playing with the interior memory settings on my GLA45 and now that right mirror reversing curb-watch functionality isnt activating. I *think* googling says I just have to throw it into reverse, select the right mirror and adjust it down and itll retain again so Im going to try when I get back home in a few weeks, but wondering if anyone can confirm?

I was definitely monkeying with the M/1/2/3 settings buttons and can easily see myself having reset something.

On BMWs and VAG products, the mirror adjustment selector has to be on a particular mirror. I think its the right mirror but can never remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
On the BMW anyway, you have to have the driver mirror selected for the passenger mirror to auto tilt down when in reverse. If you have the passenger side selected to manually adjust, it will not automatically move. I could go upstairs and check the wife's GLC, but... :effort: