Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not sure if this belongs in the stupid questions thread, but I kind of wanted to run it past Mercedes folks for some thoughts.

Context:
- Need to replace my 2008 Mazda 3. It’s due for a bunch of work which is probably going to exceed the value of the car so it’s probably time.
- Not a power driver. Automatic Mazda 3 was just fine for my use. I don’t ride for “fun” but more to get from A->B. I’m the kind of guy who would get an automatic Porsche because the “experience” of driving doesn’t really drive me.
- Budget probably mid 20s, 30 max ($CDN). I WFH and really can’t justify spending more when I use it so rarely. When I do drive, it’s usually within a 250km radius.

OK so all that out of the way. I do need to replace my car, and after a lifetime of somewhat boring looking cars I think I mostly tolerated, I’m kind of interested in a car that makes me smile every time I look at it. The mid 2010 Benz design language really does it for me. To be perfectly clear, I don’t think that it’s the BEST use of my money, or honestly even a good use. For what I use a car for, a RAV4 or CRV would probably be a way more practical use of 25k, but I kind of want to be irresponsible for a change.

So I’m kind of idly looking at a few Mercedes cars, typically ranging from 2013 through 2016. Some examples are:

- 2014 E-Class E350 4MATIC Sedan, 116k km, $24k
- 2013 E-Class E350 4MATIC Coupe, 81k km, $23k

Just some examples, not the totality of my search. That’s definitely the look I’m going for so I’m kind of letting my eyes lead the search first, and research second. I also don’t know how to describe the Benz lineup in specific terms so apologies if I am spewing a lot of nonsense. This post is running parallel to doing the research so the knowledge will come in time.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, obviously the condition and maintenance history of a car depends on the individual vehicle, but in general is there a cost of ownership estimate that can be given for the mid 2010s era of Benz vehicles? If I get a 2015 CRV, I can be pretty confident that common problems are identified, and I can take it basically anywhere and parts are plentiful and service probably not terribly expensive. So outside of crazy uncommon poo poo happening, a CRV owner can probably say they spend X a year on service and maintance and maybe they have to replace this or that part every few years.

Of course an import Benz will be more specialized, but are there any red flags with this era of cars, E-class (or C-class, I’m not really married to anything specific yet) where this would just be an awful idea?

I’m not afraid for a large service bill or expensive parts, but what I am afraid of is not really knowing what a typical Mercedes cost of ownership is. If it’s high and I know that, I can make a good decision and may still throw practicality to the wind. If it’s absurdly high then yeah, I’ll probably just let practicality win.

I don’t know how well letting my eyes and heart drive my decision making is going to go over so maybe I’m opening myself up for ridicule, and that’s fine. But I’d rather ask than guess :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the info! If I really pursue these I’ll definitely hit you up.

“Boringly reliable but looks good” is basically the motto for the car I want :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I test drove a bunch of GLA250 and liked them. Totally understand why people say "why wouldn't you just get a Honda" when talking about the GLA250 but I still kind of felt at home in one. Tried the Q3 and X1 as well and the Benz stuck with me most.

I'm 5'10 so the cabin feels fine to me, but any taller and I think I'd be bumping my head for sure, and I guess the only thing that really weirded me out was the sight line blind spot because of the pillars right at your shoulder on the '17. I don't know if it was different on the '18 or not, but I thought the '18 pillar was set back more?

Going to try a '17 AMG45 GLA tomorrow just for fun because why not.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Took the AMG GLA for a test drive and it kind of closed the door on a 4Matic after a few spirited kilometers.

Paperwork is in. Looks like barring any disasters I’ll own a ‘17 GLA45. Not looking forward to buying 91 at the pump but at least it isn’t 94..

Kind of an impulse get if I’m being honest, but the price was right and there’s no other car that is really catching my eye so I’m happy not to overthink it.

I know we all know what they look like but I can’t stop gawking :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 8, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Day one with the GLA45:

- Love. Just love it.

- Can’t figure out what the heck my right mirror is doing. It’s angled down sometimes when I’m backing into my driveway or a out of a parking spot, and I thought maybe I just forgot to set it correctly, but then when I find the adjuster and look up it seems to be back to where I remember setting it. Does it do some kind of weird collision avoidance “HEY LOOK” thing, or am I having a stroke?

Way too early to be comfortable with car’s functionality but I’ll get there. I was pretty overwhelmed emotionally driving it home so I tried to do as little button pushing as I could just to maintain focus. I did flip between S/S+/Race a lot on the ride home just to get a feel for what each does. Feel like I’ll be studying the manual PDF for the next few days.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh my god, I didn’t even remotely consider that. Just glad to know what the heck is going on so I can stop thinking I did something wrong :lol:

I have to check my VIN to see if the steering wheel is coded as the alcantara one, because if it is it’s in dire need of detailing — it feels like solid leather which is either really cool or really gross.

E: It’s the grosser of the two options, apparently. Maybe not gross, but whoever had this car before me must have had an iron grip on this wheel since it’s basically no longer pseudo-suede but has matted together into a pseudo-leather :stronk:.. Guess I’m spending a bit of time looking up how to restore alcantara/dinamica to its fluffy state.

E2: Also kind of funny that I’m 96k km in and the “how to break the engine in” sticker is still stuck to the inside of the window :cool:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 13, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My month+ impression of the GLA45:

- Love driving it — sounds like a little pop factory when I floor it. Not sure my tiny commute warrants an AMG but I’m glad I took the chance vs a standard GLA..

- Hate paying for 92 octane but thankfully WFH will (theoretically) make a tank last. Now if only I could stop justifying tiny errand runs, just to get behind the wheel, I’d /actually/ stretch that tank…

- I have NO idea what is wrong with me, but I have yet to actually get out of my car and find I parked it straight. I’m ALWAYS at a slight angle. I THINK I blame the flare on the sides compared to my old Mazda 3, feels like I’m coming in straight when I’m actually not. I should learn to trust the backup camera more to be a good reference at some point.

- Boy I sure hope it’s easier to maintain a clean black car once we’re out of snow and salt season. But I’m bracing for non-stop filth.

And sure enough:

- Hashtag used car moneypit: one of my rear speakers is crackling on and off and I’m sure it’ll be a pricey MB visit once I get annoyed enough with it. Ironically if it were the amp it would be a simpler DIY swap on the GLA vs fishing around a wiring loom.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I only have to depress slightly harder than normal to activate HOLD but I imagine “slightly harder” is subjective.

Speaking of defaults…

I did something playing with the interior memory settings on my GLA45 and now that right mirror reversing curb-watch functionality isn’t activating. I *think* googling says I just have to throw it into reverse, select the right mirror and adjust it down and it’ll retain again so I’m going to try when I get back home in a few weeks, but wondering if anyone can confirm?

I was definitely monkeying with the M/1/2/3 settings buttons and can easily see myself having reset something.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh hecc, I’ll make sure I try flipping the selector when I get back from vaca. I.. I really should read the user manual at some point :negative:

E: That was absolutely it, thanks. Reversed into my driveway and remembered to try flipping the mirror selector after I realized the mirror hadn’t moved. Soon as I did it angled down. Merci!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 31, 2023