Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I'm going to sell my 99 2-door Chevy Tahoe and buy a diesel mercedes that I can convert to run waste vegetable oil, because I'm a huge hippy and the idea of not paying much for fuel (except for my time invested) appeals to me.

Is a mid 80's 300D basically the pinnacle of reliability when it comes to a Mercedes that can be had for under $4k? Should I give up in finding a manual and just know now that I'm going to settle for an automatic?

Instruct me goons!

Edit: Actually what's a good price to pay for a clean example? I found a 1985 300TD for $5,995 with 160k on the clock, from a small auto dealer about a 2 hour drive from here. It looks really clean. Is that an unreasonable? It feels on the high side to me but I don't know.

Edit2: I plan to do all my own wrenching, but what years should I be avoiding? I've had a hard time finding a comprehensive guide as to what models follow in what series and when they stop and start. Any advice at all would be appreciated.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've got a friend in the Fresno California area who is leisurely trying to sell a 1980 240D with the automatic, I think 38k miles. It's the stereotypical creamy tan exterior with matched interior. It's been garage kept for most of it's life so the paint is in good shape.

They only want $800 as it's "not running" "because my dad didn't change the oil for 2 years." The car was driven like once a month and it was taken to a local Merc guy whenever it had problems but I don't really know it's history beyond that. I've pressed for more information but haven't been able to get a more concrete answer out of them as to what might actually be wrong.

The leather seats need work and the transmission slips a little when shifting, and that's basically all that's wrong with it.

The quotes are from a 26 year girl who knows nothing about cars and from her father who knows even less about cars.

I can get pictures and give out phone numbers if anybody is interested. I drove the car last summer and it ran fine then but I have no idea what's happened now.

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 19, 2012