Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

m.hache posted:

Current best wireless mouse? For my father in law. No gaming required, just general Day to Day use.

I use a Logitech M510. I only use it for internet and other basic stuff. I don't even remember the last time I had to change the battery. It's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I need a decent turntable. I have a receiver/speakers and I want to listen to my dad's record collection. I don't want one with a built in speaker and I don't want a usb turntable unless it also has RCA out.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

eriddy posted:

Any recommendations on a laptop shoulder bag (something that will fit a 15" rMBP + a spiral notebook and misc chargers)?

https://www.tombhin.com

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

colas posted:

I need a decent turntable. I have a receiver/speakers and I want to listen to my dad's record collection. I don't want one with a built in speaker and I don't want a usb turntable unless it also has RCA out.

Just make sure it supports a standard replaceable stereo cartridge + needle. something like a Audio-technica - AT95E - Phono cartridge.
Direct drive TTs are nice, Technics or Pioneer are generally solid. You should be fine with a normal belt driven turntable though.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

gotta swap the h and the i

https://www.tombihn.com

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
So it's getting pretty bloody cold now, so it's time to think about some half decent gloves for keeping my mitts warm primarily when riding my bike and when loading kit in and out of vans/trucks at gigs. Anybody able to recommend something suitable for both? A little bit protective for bashed fingers and knuckles, but also warm against inner city level of wind chill.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

This one is decent.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7681-vpi-hrx-with-jmw-127-arm.aspx?gclid=CJHdto3c5MECFaIF7AodyTUAfA

Also good:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Statement-Turntable

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I'm going with the second one. I don't understand why you'd link that first pos.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

I use a Logitech M510. I only use it for internet and other basic stuff. I don't even remember the last time I had to change the battery. It's pretty great.

Have the same. Doesn't feel as awesome as my MX510, but it gets the job done and I'm happy with it.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
The girlfriend and I are shopping for a new set of sheets, first time for both of us. They need to be all cotton, queen size, and under $100 for the set. Crisp and cool is preferable to soft and warm. Thanks y'all!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

martinlutherbling posted:

The girlfriend and I are shopping for a new set of sheets, first time for both of us. They need to be all cotton, queen size, and under $100 for the set. Crisp and cool is preferable to soft and warm. Thanks y'all!

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-sheets-new/

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

colas posted:

Audio-Technica AT-120LP-USB, or if you want to step up a bit, the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Is there somewhere to ask about car audio stuff? Im looking to replace my 1999 Isuzu Rodeo speakers which are sort of failing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

It's your lucky day too as TheSweetHome is also reporting that you can get their recommended bed sheets for 10% off at LL Bean. Link.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

KoB posted:

Is there somewhere to ask about car audio stuff? Im looking to replace my 1999 Isuzu Rodeo speakers which are sort of failing.

Car Audio thread

But you should check out Crutchfield.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Thwomp posted:

It's your lucky day too as TheSweetHome is also reporting that you can get their recommended bed sheets for 10% off at LL Bean. Link.

That's pretty sweet, but dang those are pricey. Then again I'm sure they'll last us a long while.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

That's pretty sweet, but dang those are pricey. Then again I'm sure they'll last us a long while.

They're amazing and totally worth it.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Can anyone recommend a really, really warm hat, one that won't let the cold wind through? And normal looking? Preferably something I could get on Amazon or online. Also gloves that are warm, thin, and can be used with smartphones? I need these for normal suburban/city life. I seriously have the worst hat and gloves and can't believe I've gone so long with them.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Doghouse posted:

Can anyone recommend a really, really warm hat, one that won't let the cold wind through? And normal looking? Preferably something I could get on Amazon or online. Also gloves that are warm, thin, and can be used with smartphones? I need these for normal suburban/city life. I seriously have the worst hat and gloves and can't believe I've gone so long with them.

how cold does your area get? Define normal looking

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

KingColliwog posted:

how cold does your area get? Define normal looking

Baltimore, so not super cold, but cold enough that any old hat I would pick up at marshalls wouldn't be warm enough. By normal I guess I mean just like a normal beanie, nothing with ear flaps or chin straps or whatever.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Can anyone recommend an entry-level microphone for voice recording?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Blue Snowball
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Microphone-Textured/dp/B000EOPQ7E

or

Samsung Go Mic
http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Mic-Portable-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B001R76D42

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Doghouse posted:

Baltimore, so not super cold, but cold enough that any old hat I would pick up at marshalls wouldn't be warm enough. By normal I guess I mean just like a normal beanie, nothing with ear flaps or chin straps or whatever.

Just go to REI or somewhere like that and buy the first wool/synthetic hat that you like the fit of. I live in central MD as well and almost any proper outdoor brand hat will be fine for 90% of our weather.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Depending on how much you wanna spend, the Blue Yeti is amazing too.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Micropho...+usb+microphone

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for a slim fit peacoat that is not made by a Chinese factory with misleading sizing charts.

Price is not much of an issue.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Doghouse posted:

http://amzn.com/B002G9UDYG

Look no further. I'm a Canadian and these will nearly have you sweating on typical cold winter days. I've got a new one of these every year for the past 3-4 years just because I like it so much and want a bit of color variety.

As for gloves if you're willing to spend like $50 just get some North Face or Under Armour ones at your local sporting goods store. They sell liner-style gloves that work with touchscreens and are still fairly warm for being so thin.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I'm looking for a slim fit peacoat that is not made by a Chinese factory with misleading sizing charts.

Price is not much of an issue.

Schott and Sterlingwear make peacoats in the USA. Sterlingwear might have something slim fit.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Anyone have experience with HDTV antennas ?

Signal shouldn't be a big problem as I'm on the 12th floor, according to tvfool.com I can get at least a few channels

Mohu Leaf seems to be pretty popular, not sure how the 'random chinese brand' compares

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Sappo569 posted:

Anyone have experience with HDTV antennas ?

Signal shouldn't be a big problem as I'm on the 12th floor, according to tvfool.com I can get at least a few channels

Mohu Leaf seems to be pretty popular, not sure how the 'random chinese brand' compares

Depending on where you live and where your TV will be, you can get all the network channels with something cheap like this. I have one of those and was able to get all the network tv stations in clear HD both here in Baltimore and when I lived in Pittsburgh. That being said, when I've used it and not had the antenna be near-ish a window in the direction of the stations, a couple would drop out. Basically if you live in/near the broadcast transmitters and are not super picky about your TV location, you can get away with almost anything.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Phthisis posted:

Depending on where you live and where your TV will be, you can get all the network channels with something cheap like this. I have one of those and was able to get all the network tv stations in clear HD both here in Baltimore and when I lived in Pittsburgh. That being said, when I've used it and not had the antenna be near-ish a window in the direction of the stations, a couple would drop out. Basically if you live in/near the broadcast transmitters and are not super picky about your TV location, you can get away with almost anything.

Sorry I should have also said 'doesn't look like poo poo', that thing would probably get me evicted it's so hideous ;)

Yeah according to the map I looked at, the towers are between 20-30km away, and I can probably plop the antenna close to the balcony window

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I might not get too many replies on this one but I'll ask anyway. I'm looking to buy some in-ceiling and in-wall speakers for the home theater setup in my living room. Anymore have experience with this? I'm sort of on a budget and would like to spend under $100 per speaker give or take. Should I get enclosed or open back?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Robawesome posted:

http://amzn.com/B002G9UDYG

Look no further. I'm a Canadian and these will nearly have you sweating on typical cold winter days. I've got a new one of these every year for the past 3-4 years just because I like it so much and want a bit of color variety.

As for gloves if you're willing to spend like $50 just get some North Face or Under Armour ones at your local sporting goods store. They sell liner-style gloves that work with touchscreens and are still fairly warm for being so thin.

That hat looks awesome, carhartt is a great brand, I should have thought of that. Thanks!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

Sorry I should have also said 'doesn't look like poo poo', that thing would probably get me evicted it's so hideous ;)

Yeah according to the map I looked at, the towers are between 20-30km away, and I can probably plop the antenna close to the balcony window
Here's a different style that may be easier to conceal/blend with your surroundings:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...ds=flat+antenna

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I just found out that my stash of REI Merino wool socks (a few various styles) got into by my puppy and I'm in need of some new wool socks. Are there anything that are as comfy/warm but maybe a tad cheaper? I'll hit REI if I need to, but i figured I'd see what you guys recommend for some wool socks. I used the hell out of these from daily wear to multiple pairs for cold hunting trips.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Crunkjuice posted:

I just found out that my stash of REI Merino wool socks (a few various styles) got into by my puppy and I'm in need of some new wool socks. Are there anything that are as comfy/warm but maybe a tad cheaper? I'll hit REI if I need to, but i figured I'd see what you guys recommend for some wool socks. I used the hell out of these from daily wear to multiple pairs for cold hunting trips.

Costco's house brand trail socks are dirt cheap if you don't mind a synthetic/merino blend. But try them before you load up with 10 pairs or something, because I think they run tight.

An alternative is to wait for Sierra Trading post to do a good holiday coupon. I haven't tried it in a while, but it used to be that you could log in, load up your cart, and not buy anything for a few days, and then Sierra would email you a really nice coupon (like 40% off).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Crunkjuice posted:

Don't buy cheap socks.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, see maybe if Amazon has some good merino wool, but otherwise, just go with REI, man. You'll never go wrong with a good pair of socks.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I bought these socks on sale last year and still love the hell out of them.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004
Darn Tough socks are the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Teeth whitening products. Anything that's worth it?

• Locked thread