Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

GoodCleanFun posted:

Darn Tough socks are the truth.

Darn Tough do indeed kick rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I want to buy a desktop computer for less than $600 on which I can play a fair amount of steam games and also Minecraft. My current computer done up and died :(

Halp!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CherryCola posted:

I want to buy a desktop computer for less than $600 on which I can play a fair amount of steam games and also Minecraft. My current computer done up and died :(

Halp!

Are you comfortable with building your own, or does it have to be a pre-built one?

Do you also require a monitor?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Are you comfortable with building your own, or does it have to be a pre-built one?

Do you also require a monitor?

I have a nice monitor already and after talking to a few people, I'd really rather just buy a pre-built one.

edit: A few of my friends were offering to help me build a computer, but then another friend who is a super genius at Microsoft advised against it because then I don't get any support afterwards.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

CherryCola posted:

I have a nice monitor already and after talking to a few people, I'd really rather just buy a pre-built one.

edit: A few of my friends were offering to help me build a computer, but then another friend who is a super genius at Microsoft advised against it because then I don't get any support afterwards.

You have all the support you need on the forums / google. Building your own computer is literally like putting legos together. Plus you get a lot more mileage out of your money.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Have you ever had to call Microsoft Support before for anything? If yes, how objectively dumb was that thing, on a scale from "power cable unplugged" to "my nuclear reactor's drivers have a transient error every other lunar cycle"?

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Etrips posted:

You have all the support you need on the forums / google. Building your own computer is literally like putting legos together. Plus you get a lot more mileage out of your money.

Great, now I'm back to where I started. I'm just getting so many different views from every computer nerd friend I have, I have no idea who to listen to. I'm finding I'm surprisingly ignorant when it comes to computer innards. :(

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

CherryCola posted:

Great, now I'm back to where I started. I'm just getting so many different views from every computer nerd friend I have, I have no idea who to listen to. I'm finding I'm surprisingly ignorant when it comes to computer innards. :(
Parts picking megathread talks you through what to buy in the OP, including a handful of sensible combo packs, which is basically the hard thing. It's probably the most appropriate thread to ask about prebuilt boxes too.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Flipperwaldt posted:

Parts picking megathread talks you through what to buy in the OP, including a handful of sensible combo packs, which is basically the hard thing. It's probably the most appropriate thread to ask about prebuilt boxes too.

Another good source is to search for Ars Technica's computer guides, they do a new one every year stretching from the cheapest barebones you can possibly make to the biggest, baddest handcrafted machine on the planet.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Techreport.com also does quarterly system buying guides.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Thanks dudes, I'll move over to the parts picking thread and see if I can put together something decent.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got what I needed!

Flash Gordon Ramsay has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Nov 19, 2014

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

FutonForensic posted:

Teeth whitening products. Anything that's worth it?
Nope. Anything that is strong enough to do the deed can't be had over the counter. "Whitening Toothpaste" and the like is mostly sales bullshit with transient effects at best. Some of them actually put harmful things in (like tiny plastic balls) for better visual effect.

The most common real whitening (bleaching) option is concentrated hydrogen peroxide (10-25%) and can't be legally sold in that concentration over the counter because it will literally burn your skin if you touch it. It also requires a cast to be made of your teeth so that the gel has somewhere to sit where it isn't touching your gums.

That, needless to say, requires doctors to make the cast and to write a prescription for the gel.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Building your own computer is easy as legos and if you are worried there are 10,000 youtube personalities all falling over themselves and eager to teach you step by excruciating nasally step. It takes an hour, tops. Not even.

And consumer microsoft support isn't free, you get to pay by the phone call and it's pretty much worthless. There's zero reason why you'd ever want to buy a computer because the OS comes installed on it. Especially because it comes pre-installed with every one-month-free trial bloatware they can cram into it. If you've ever called verizon or comcast for internet support, that's what you are looking at in terms of quality.

In some rare cases (great black friday or christmas deals) you can get a pre-built dell or whatever for cheaper than building it yourself. But if you are at all interested in gaming, it's not a good direction to take. The base system is cheaper but they mark up extra memory or video card by quite a lot.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
If it helps you make a decision to build your own I once helped a friend over Facebook Video chat assemble a computer from the ground up.

It took 2 hours and most of it was trying to explain to him to read the book.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Just about any help tech support can give you can be found on google with less waiting on hold.

Building the computer is piss easy, it takes longer to install the OS and other software.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Arrath posted:

it takes longer to install the OS and other software

Which in this day and age really isn't that bad. Since Vista/7 install time is way down, especially if you're installing off of a USB thumb drive onto a SSD, and with practically everything besides video being integrated onto the board you don't have to go searching for individual drivers off the first boot since everything is included on the system board's driver disc.

Another point to consider - as you slide down the price scale on pre-built systems component quality is going to suffer more. Building your own system means you get to pick the components that go into it rather than whatever the OEM could get from the lowest bidder.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
What's the best nice heavy winter jacket that I can get for $200-300 or so? I live somewhere where it regularly gets down to -30C or even -40C for days at a time. My old NorthFace softshell thing doesn't really cut it for those days. I like the idea of Canada Goose and Arcteryx, but I just don't have $800 to spend on a parka, even if it is a good quality long-term "investment".

What brands and styles should I be looking at?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Didn't someone a few pages back post a jacket that was literally a cut up and re-stitched together sleeping bag in jacket form? That it was too hot except to use at -9000? Maybe that's what you want.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Go to Cabelas and try on coats there. I have a Cabelas coat and it is literally the warmest coat I own.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Moacher posted:

What's the best nice heavy winter jacket that I can get for $200-300 or so? I live somewhere where it regularly gets down to -30C or even -40C for days at a time. My old NorthFace softshell thing doesn't really cut it for those days. I like the idea of Canada Goose and Arcteryx, but I just don't have $800 to spend on a parka, even if it is a good quality long-term "investment".

What brands and styles should I be looking at?

Looks like my coat's been discontinued (not surprising, it's really susceptible to punctures) but these are pretty similar to what I use. http://www.mec.ca/product/5034-291/mec-tremblant-jacket-mens/?h=10+50020+50021&f=10+50021+51000 http://www.mec.ca/product/5029-782/mec-co-opted-jacket-mens/?h=10+50020+50021&f=10+50021+51000

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
My dad got it into his head that he wants a walking stick. Any non-ludicrously expensive suggestions?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Geoj posted:

Which in this day and age really isn't that bad. Since Vista/7 install time is way down, especially if you're installing off of a USB thumb drive onto a SSD, and with practically everything besides video being integrated onto the board you don't have to go searching for individual drivers off the first boot since everything is included on the system board's driver disc.

Another point to consider - as you slide down the price scale on pre-built systems component quality is going to suffer more. Building your own system means you get to pick the components that go into it rather than whatever the OEM could get from the lowest bidder.

You don't even have to install stuff individually anymore https://ninite.com/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bogart posted:

My dad got it into his head that he wants a walking stick. Any non-ludicrously expensive suggestions?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3681845&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post437806504

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

My dad wants a new weather station thing for Christmas. He's old so he likes to see the wind and humidity and all that stuff.

There are a million different ones out there, but he wants one that also shows all that info in an app on his phone. Does that even exist? I'm not having much luck in my searches.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

PleasusChrist posted:

My dad wants a new weather station thing for Christmas. He's old so he likes to see the wind and humidity and all that stuff.

There are a million different ones out there, but he wants one that also shows all that info in an app on his phone. Does that even exist? I'm not having much luck in my searches.

Something like one of these? I think they come in a smaller size.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

PleasusChrist posted:

The lacross one from costco seems good, as it has an app. I have one from 2 years ago, and besides the solar charged battery in the wind meter getting a little weak it has been good.

Though meter above is also useful

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

PleasusChrist posted:

This is what my dad has:
http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1000wifi.html

It uploads to wunderground, and they include their ad-free version of the site having the weather station; and they have an app.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Are there any headphones that have a button/volume control but not a microphone? I can have an iPod at work, but nothing that can record.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

uapyro posted:

This is what my dad has:
http://www.ambientweather.com/amws1000wifi.html

It uploads to wunderground, and they include their ad-free version of the site having the weather station; and they have an app.

Awesome. That is exactly what I'm looking for. Now I just have to find one in stock.

Thanks for the help!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

CherryCola posted:

Are there any headphones that have a button/volume control but not a microphone? I can have an iPod at work, but nothing that can record.

My V-Moda Crossfade LPs came with an alternate cable that has a volume control built in, I think it only works with iPods & stuff but I suppose that won't be a problem. They're kind of pricey, you can probably find something cheaper, good headphones tho.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

PleasusChrist posted:

Awesome. That is exactly what I'm looking for. Now I just have to find one in stock.

Thanks for the help!

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1400-IP-OBSERVER-Monitoring/dp/B00O9YIEJW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G98DYWJS13GTM9EWAV3
That looks like a similar model; it has a module that plugs into an ethernet port instead of wifi. It doesn't have the display unit, but since it's internet based anyway that's not completely necessary. Someone was posting on their facebook page trying to find it since august, and was told by the company that makes it in Nov, and still nothing yet.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I recently moved into a new place with a sliding glass double door that measures 8 feet tall and 10 feet wide. It's nice, but it's horrible at retaining heat and keeping out cold, which is getting to be a problem. Is my best solution to just buy a big blanket and to tape it up over the door for winter, or is there a product more specifically geared to heat retention?

I'm renting, so I can't do anything too extreme like just replace the doors or tear them apart.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

GoodCleanFun posted:

Darn Tough socks are the truth.

These are fantastic, and they have a no questions asked replacement policy. Whenever they get worn out or your dog eats them, just send them in and they'll send you a new pair.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

surf rock posted:

I recently moved into a new place with a sliding glass double door that measures 8 feet tall and 10 feet wide. It's nice, but it's horrible at retaining heat and keeping out cold, which is getting to be a problem. Is my best solution to just buy a big blanket and to tape it up over the door for winter, or is there a product more specifically geared to heat retention?

I'm renting, so I can't do anything too extreme like just replace the doors or tear them apart.

You can find this clear shrink wrap type stuff at home improvement stores and stretch it over the wall around the window and then heat it up with a hair dryer. It shrinks tight and keeps a barrier of air between the window and your living area. At least I think that's how it worked. A few years ago I was dating a girl who rented a house with 3 other girls who all went home for the holidays. Not wanting to run the entire houses heat for 1 person, she simply put that stuff over her huge bedroom window and bought a small space heater. The combination of the two kept her room nice and toasty the whole winter.

This kind of stuff. I'm not sure if this is the brand she used or not:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-E-O-Indoor-Window-Insulation-Kit-3-Pack-V73-3QPD/100135637

SpartanIvy has a new favorite as of 05:06 on Nov 19, 2014

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

surf rock posted:

Have you tried thick curtains? They make thermal/insulated ones.

CherryCola posted:

You can buy an inline volume control. Stay away from the ipod specific ones as they are iffy.

king of the bongo has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Nov 19, 2014

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

king of the bongo posted:

Have you tried thick curtains? They make thermal/insulated ones.

You can buy an inline volume control. Stay away from the ipod specific ones as they are iffy.

Does the whole Nokia thing apply to all remotes or just those with mics?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for the most comprehensive (but still readable) book about Caligula.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

I need a new comforter. Looks don't really matter too much as long as it is comfortable, warm, and will last a few years. Any good options under $50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Burger McAngus posted:

I need a new comforter. Looks don't really matter too much as long as it is comfortable, warm, and will last a few years. Any good options under $50?

I got one from Target that is light but warm and I think it was pretty cheap! It's lasted a good three years already!

• Locked thread