Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
So the Bebop blus are out now, The Amazon exclusive box is just wonderful, and the video is fantastic, sharp colors, grain untouched, the CG stuff... its not onscreen that often so its not a big deal. Only gripe (and its relatively minor) is that they deleted the Japanese credits in the OP and replaced them with boxy white english credits, the credits in the ED are in english too but not scrolling like they were in the Bandai release.

All in all, good job. Would've preferred the OP to have been left untouched but its still way better than the old Bandai set that I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
It's likely that the changes they made to the OP credits and changing the ED credits to static rather than scrolling is what allowed them to switch the show to 1080p rather than 1080i like the Japanese and UK BD sets. It's been a while since I looked at the JP discs, but if I'm remembering right, the way the OP credits moved means they were probably running at 30fps rather than 24fps in order to smooth out the motion of the credits when they would slide in from the sides. Since they did away with the motions and just have the letters blink in randomly, they don't have to worry about it and use the interlacing cheat to make it work.

That said, they could have picked better fonts for the new credits, and done what Bandai did with the old DVDs and at least use the same colors as the Japanese ones. Still, like you said, it's minor and the overall set is fantastic.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So excited to get this for christmas. I've been dropping heavy (not)hints to my wife about it. I haven't watched much of this show since I had the old dvds with matching cover art.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Be aware if you got the amazon version, the case may have some cracks/damage. I'm hearing amazon will give back 25% or something like that. My case is broken so I might go ahead and do it assuming the discs aren't defective.

Apparently funimation version may also have issues.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mine's fine, a little tricky to close it but there's no cracks.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The two movie-length retrospectives with the English voice cast are delightful, as well.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I can't believe Amazon didn't hold any spare copies for damaged or lost/stolen shipments. Mine was the latter. :negative: Got a refund and was suggested that I could buy one of the $200 scalper ones.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

GoldenNugget posted:

Be aware if you got the amazon version, the case may have some cracks/damage. I'm hearing amazon will give back 25% or something like that. My case is broken so I might go ahead and do it assuming the discs aren't defective.

Apparently funimation version may also have issues.

I've got the Funimation version and had no issues with it. Pretty flawless.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Amazon seems to hate Funimation. I ordered Black Lagoon on blu ray from them and the case arrived as a jigsaw puzzle

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Those of you that kickstarted Bubblegum Crisis should be receiving your copies in the mail shortly, if you haven't already. I got my copy today. I haven't popped it into watch it yet, but the packaging looks nice.
I got one of the "weird cards" and bonus patch Robert mentioned in one of the emails he sent out. Here's a pic I snapped earlier today.

Backer names are on the inside and outside covers of each volume(they're reversible). Definitely a cool addition to my collection.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Are the issues with the 25th anniversary Ghost in the Shell BR as bad as they make it sound in the Amazon reviews?

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-25th-Anniversary-Blu-ray/dp/B00L6AW2MC

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Valsu posted:

Those of you that kickstarted Bubblegum Crisis should be receiving your copies in the mail shortly, if you haven't already. I got my copy today. I haven't popped it into watch it yet, but the packaging looks nice.
I got one of the "weird cards" and bonus patch Robert mentioned in one of the emails he sent out. Here's a pic I snapped earlier today.

Backer names are on the inside and outside covers of each volume(they're reversible). Definitely a cool addition to my collection.

That's a pretty awesome set.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Now that the first season box is out, the Korean box for GitS SAC 2nd GIG is up, set for release in March.

http://kimchidvd.com/en/good/goods.jsp?good_seq=20531

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Blurays seem to be available now for The Eccentric Family. Does anybody know anything about their quality?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Rand Brittain posted:

Blurays seem to be available now for The Eccentric Family. Does anybody know anything about their quality?

It's NIS America, so it probably looks alright, I don't think I've heard bad things about any of their releases. If it was sentai filmworks i'd be worired though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rand Brittain posted:

NISA uses Justin Sevakis for their Blu-Ray authoring and he knows his poo poo. NISA Blu-Ray releases are some of the best quality out there. So there should be nothing to worry about.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

The Black Stones posted:

NISA uses Justin Sevakis for their Blu-Ray authoring and he knows his poo poo. NISA Blu-Ray releases are some of the best quality out there. So there should be nothing to worry about.

Hooray!

(after the CROWDS debacle i thought i would never trust again)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rand Brittain posted:

Hooray!

(after the CROWDS debacle i thought i would never trust again)

That's Sentai Filmworks and its a known thing that their quality control ranges from okay to utter poo poo.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Do the FLCL blu rays look good? So far all I have is Cowboy Bebop, Redline, and Paprika which all look great and I'm thinking of getting FLCL but I don't wanna get burned.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Paper Triangle posted:

Do the FLCL blu rays look good? So far all I have is Cowboy Bebop, Redline, and Paprika which all look great and I'm thinking of getting FLCL but I don't wanna get burned.

Yeah the blu-rays look pretty great and you can probably find them for like $20.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah the FLCL BR is pretty great. I'm not sure if it's full 1080 but it looks good on an HDTV.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Paper Triangle posted:

They're perfectly fine, an upscale and maybe a little soft looking but overall a lot better than some other anime Blu-Rays.

I'm not sure if JP Blus exist though, if they do they might be upscales as well.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

IIRC there are and they are, as a result of the original animation process, upscales.

But they are very good looking upscales. I just rewatched them over xmas and they looked fantastic as soon as I turned off the bullshit 120hz TV motion filter.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Thanks, now I can grab them without worrying about it. Reading about some of the "bad" anime blu-rays in this thread had me sort of worried.

DamnGlitch posted:

IIRC there are and they are, as a result of the original animation process, upscales.

But they are very good looking upscales. I just rewatched them over xmas and they looked fantastic as soon as I turned off the bullshit 120hz TV motion filter.

I don't understand this motion filter thing that's on TVs now. Every time I go to my parents they have it turned on again and it makes everything look really weird and surreal to me. Like it reduces normal human movements to a weird mess and I can't figure out the point of it.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Paper Triangle posted:

I don't understand this motion filter thing that's on TVs now. Every time I go to my parents they have it turned on again and it makes everything look really weird and surreal to me. Like it reduces normal human movements to a weird mess and I can't figure out the point of it.

It kind of makes everything look 60fps but every time I see it they sort of don't have enough power to keep the effect going consistently and it'll go back to its original framerate.

I imagine it'd be good for video games that aren't optimized properly and can't run consistently 60fps but for TV and Movies it just looks bad.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It makes TV and Movies look like poo poo garbage. It makes them look like everything was shot on an iphone or handycam. It's wretched.

It makes video games look great, but animation looks absolutely wretched.

It took me forever to figure out that there was some stupid option that needed to be turned off so every film show or animation in the last 80 years doesn't look like some horses poo poo.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Weird, I've never tried it with video games. I think on my parents TV it's called TrueMotion or something. That's the same thing right?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah. Motion something. It's easy to turn off on samsung tvs, IDK about other brands. It basically 'invents' inbetween frames which is what makes it so bizarre looking. I have no idea why it exists.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It exists because it makes the picture on the display TV's in Walmart look nice and smooth.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's also terrible for video games as the TV then spends extra time processing every frame, further increasing input lag.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://www.evangelion.co.jp/ng.html
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00SYD9OE8/

Evangelion Blu-ray Box up for preorder, releasing August. $350 from Amazon Japan, probably no subs.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/ng.html
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00SYD9OE8/

Evangelion Blu-ray Box up for preorder, releasing August. $350 from Amazon Japan, probably no subs.

Sort of missing an opportunity there, aren't they? Expand the market a bit, but people who really want the drat thing will buy it anyway even if it does have no subs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Sort of missing an opportunity there, aren't they? Expand the market a bit, but people who really want the drat thing will buy it anyway even if it does have no subs.

If they sub it they weaken their negotiating position with Funimation or whoever tries to license it for US release. Not by much, but it's probably a concern for the execs.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Midjack posted:

If they sub it they weaken their negotiating position with Funimation or whoever tries to license it for US release. Not by much, but it's probably a concern for the execs.

Some guy on the Blu-ray forums said subtitles would require the company to license the subtitles out from the US distributors (Not that they couldn't just make their own subtitles.)

Besides, if they keep the dub off there they'll still be okay with whatever company they license it to since Japan doesn't give two shits about that.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Some guy on the Blu-ray forums said subtitles would require the company to license the subtitles out from the US distributors (Not that they couldn't just make their own subtitles.)

Besides, if they keep the dub off there they'll still be okay with whatever company they license it to since Japan doesn't give two shits about that.

Nope. JP rightsholders own the subtitle tracks to shows they produce that are made in foreign markets. There's little benefit to including English subtitles on the set as it's not going to increase sales by more than maybe 100 copies at most because international fans have been proven to be cheap. Better to keep the value of your rights higher anyways.

Geneon continues to include English dubs on their BD-Boxes when available without subtitles, so there are some companies that include dubs.

Can't wait to see how Funi or whoever licenses this fucks this up again. It's a new HD telecine from film, so it should look nice on the JP side before the typical Funi gently caress-ups.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Something this big? Funimation will accidentally replace the last episode with deleted scenes from Smegma Angel 12 or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No-one would notice.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
Even if people notice, the amount of defenders going "Well, it's cheap! That's all that matters, right? It's the Japanese's fault Funi hosed up!" will outnumber any legitimate complaints.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ultimatemegax posted:

Can't wait to see how Funi or whoever licenses this fucks this up again. It's a new HD telecine from film, so it should look nice on the JP side before the typical Funi gently caress-ups.

Yeah, gently caress Funimation, they ruin everything!

Except you know, they just released Cowboy Bebop on Blu-Ray and from everything I've seen online, it has 0 issues and looks amazing. So if they released Evangelion there's no reason to believe they wouldn't handle it just the same. But yeah, let's get mad before they even release anything because that's totally reasonable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, gently caress Funimation, they ruin everything!

Except you know, they just released Cowboy Bebop on Blu-Ray and from everything I've seen online, it has 0 issues and looks amazing. So if they released Evangelion there's no reason to believe they wouldn't handle it just the same. But yeah, let's get mad before they even release anything because that's totally reasonable!

Right, it looks amazing with nothing done to the image at all.

That's also not including the brightness issue that Funi/Sentai/Viz/Sevakis all suffer from where the black levels used in NA analog tape players/recorders are slightly brighter than Japanese/European levels, so all images instantly get brighter, resulting in a loss of detail from the very first step (transferring from tapes to digital files).

But let's just defend Funi because CHEAP ANIME IS THE poo poo!

• Locked thread