Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

ultimatemegax posted:

Right, it looks amazing with nothing done to the image at all.

That's also not including the brightness issue that Funi/Sentai/Viz/Sevakis all suffer from where the black levels used in NA analog tape players/recorders are slightly brighter than Japanese/European levels, so all images instantly get brighter, resulting in a loss of detail from the very first step (transferring from tapes to digital files).

But let's just defend Funi because CHEAP ANIME IS THE poo poo!

You actually just inadvertently proved that nothing's wrong with this release.

Those effortposts you linked? They're arguing over the minuteness of grain detail. Jesus christ, get a grip.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/112881

Oh yeah, look at this garbage :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm reminded of how people looked at still images of the FLCL blurays before they were out and called them the worst, based on really minor details that are hard to notice in actual motion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

But it's CHEAP ANIME, don't you see? You should feel honoured for the privilege of paying $350 for 26 episodes.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ultimatemegax posted:

Right, it looks amazing with nothing done to the image at all.

That's also not including the brightness issue that Funi/Sentai/Viz/Sevakis all suffer from where the black levels used in NA analog tape players/recorders are slightly brighter than Japanese/European levels, so all images instantly get brighter, resulting in a loss of detail from the very first step (transferring from tapes to digital files).

But let's just defend Funi because CHEAP ANIME IS THE poo poo!

I was wondering who the hell PonyCanyon was pricing their Blu-Rays for and well I think I got my answer right here.

:spergin:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was more bagging on Funimation for being over a year late on 3.33 than brightness levels.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Midjack posted:

I was more bagging on Funimation for being over a year late on 3.33 than brightness levels.

Blame studio Khara on that one. Apparently they wanted a super special subtitle track that conveys all the brilliance of Anno's subtlety so Funimation pretty much has to wait on them at this point because it's Khara that's working on it.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Honestly if people want to complain about bad Blu-rays you really have to look no further than the Sailor Moon sets Viz is dumping out.

Set 2 just dropped for some people last week and the general consensus is that they mildly improved the video issues. But it still looks terrible in comparison to the R2 DVDs and the artifacting and ghosting are still present.

Not that anybody really needed any convincing to not drop money on these after Set 1's disastrous PR nightmare.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Now that I'm no longer on my phone I looked at that screenshot comparison and lol.

I have to put my face really close to my monitor before I can even tell there's a difference.

I think an incredibly tiny, practically unnoticeable amount of grain reduction is worth paying several hundred less on the set.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Blame studio Khara on that one. Apparently they wanted a super special subtitle track that conveys all the brilliance of Anno's subtlety so Funimation pretty much has to wait on them at this point because it's Khara that's working on it.

Are you making GBS threads me? 3.33 is mindless as gently caress. They are gonna disappear up their own asses for FINAL aren't they?

Regarding Funi doing the Eva series BRs: Can't be worse than the original DVDs and Manga's Death and Rebirth / EoE. Not unless they released it as a terrorist threat.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Hatter106 posted:

Those effortposts you linked? They're arguing over the minuteness of grain detail. Jesus christ, get a grip.

That actually does look pretty bad fwiw. The release is fine for the most part from what I understand. But you could link something that helps your case better. It's obviously not anywhere near close to Viz's Sailor Moon.

e: I only noticed spike's face being 100% grain. US one is actually slightly better as someone pointed out to me.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 3, 2015

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Hatter106 posted:

I was going to ask if it's okay that I can't tell the difference between the two. Then, I realized I'm outing myself as an anime blu-ray casual that is literally ruining the industry by refusing to pay $1/minute for anime. :negative:

Uznare posted:

That actually does look pretty bad fwiw. The release is fine for the most part from what I understand. But you could link something that helps your case better. It's obviously not anywhere near close to Viz's Sailor Moon.

e: I only noticed spike's face being 100% grain. US one is actually slightly better as someone pointed out to me.

I don't actually know how one is better than the other, how do you tell?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Does anyone have suggestions on where to get a bluray set of Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex without getting rape dollared on imports? Amazon doesn't seem to have anything.

Never seen the show and figured I should watch it in full glory.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Razzled posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on where to get a bluray set of Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex without getting rape dollared on imports? Amazon doesn't seem to have anything.

I think the only ones that exist are the ones that were mentioned earlier (I think the Korean sets?), those look to be $150 before shipping and have the dub from the looks of it. The US gets nothing because Manga holds the rights and they're pretty much a zombie that serves only to release GitS every once in a while.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Shere posted:

I don't actually know how one is better than the other, how do you tell?

If you look at the top of spike's gun, despite the grain being pretty nuts in the US one, the top of it is actually there, instead of blending completely into the background like the JP one.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Razzled posted:

I don't have the exact links since I'm on my phone but I linked to kimchidvd.com earlier in the thread. They have the exclusive release for the Korean market. The first season is out and 2nd Gig releases in March. $150 per set, JP and English audio and English subs. Only downside is there is no signs and songs track for use with the dub, but it's not critical.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

OZC posted:

I don't have the exact links since I'm on my phone but I linked to kimchidvd.com earlier in the thread. They have the exclusive release for the Korean market. The first season is out and 2nd Gig releases in March. $150 per set, JP and English audio and English subs. Only downside is there is no signs and songs track for use with the dub, but it's not critical.

Ok I'll dig em up, thanks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OZC posted:

1st Gig
2nd Gig

I ordered the 1st season from them and got it quickly after release. I have a preorder for the 2nd Gig in already. I recommend kimchidvd unreservedly.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Not sure when this happened but Porco Rosso and Pom Poko look like they've hit stateside!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
They're also only $20 on Amazon right now.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Space Dandy season 1 has hit in the US.

They put episodes 1-10 on the first disc and 11-13 on the second, I have no idea why they thought divvying the episodes up like that was a good idea. You think they'd do something like 7-6 instead.

Box is nice looking though.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Space Dandy season 1 has hit in the US.

They put episodes 1-10 on the first disc and 11-13 on the second, I have no idea why they thought divvying the episodes up like that was a good idea. You think they'd do something like 7-6 instead.

Box is nice looking though.

The reason they do it is disc space. By cramming 9-10 episodes on one disc and 3-4 on another, they can use 1 50 GB disc and 1 25 GB disc instead of 2 50 GB discs, thus saving money. By cramming 10 episodes on disc 1, they have enough room on disc 2 for their special features.

This cheapness tends to be why you won't see Funi/Sentai license a lot of extras; they'd have to spend the extra money on 2 BD 50s and that's usually for guaranteed hits now, which says a lot about how they felt Dandy would do disc-wise.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

That explains the dB kai seasons. I was wondering why the first disc had like 9 episodes on it and the second disc only 4.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Is the price difference in those disc densities actually significant? I mean I guess even at ten cents more, it really adds up over the whole production run.

Got any pictures of the box? Mine is coming in from Amazon on Tuesday. I physically bought this one to try and support it even if it's a little expensive set.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Ineffiable posted:

Is the price difference in those disc densities actually significant? I mean I guess even at ten cents more, it really adds up over the whole production run.
From some quick checking, they're quite a bit more expensive. http://www.pacificdisc.com/PricingBluRay.html goes from $1.44/disc for BD25 to $2.55/disc for BD50.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So grave of the fireflies is on sale for 15 bucks for the bluray on Amazon... http://slickdeals.net/f/7732589-grave-of-the-fireflies-blu-ray-studio-ghibli-remastered-collection-14-99-at-amazon

Having never seen it before, are we talking Schindler's List or what?

edit: Oops it's already out of stock

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Too late apparently but if you haven't seen it before you should see it anyway, regardless of whatever expectations you currently have. It's a film everyone should watch at some point in their lives.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's like Shindler's List would be if in the end he never actually saves anyone one and then gets put in an oven himself.

It is a good film though.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sakurazuka posted:

It's like Shindler's List would be if in the end he never actually saves anyone one and then gets put in an oven himself.

It is a good film though.

:drat: Ok well I locked in my price at 15 so Amazon will send me a copy whenever they get them back in stock. Now to continue brooding on whether or not to shell out big bucks for Ghost in the Shell SAC s1 and s2 blurays...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Razzled posted:

:drat: Ok well I locked in my price at 15 so Amazon will send me a copy whenever they get them back in stock. Now to continue brooding on whether or not to shell out big bucks for Ghost in the Shell SAC s1 and s2 blurays...

yes

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is this newish information? Just saw this on amazon: Castle of Cagliostro, June 23rd

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 21, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Is this newish information? Just saw this on amazon: Castle of Cagliostro, June 3rd

I would've thought you guys over the US had had that for ages, considering we got it back in December last year here in Australia.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I think it was announced a while ago, but very quietly. I only just noticed it on blu-ray.com's page a couple days ago. Super hyped.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Heads up if you ordered Darker than Black from Rightstuf your order may have already shipped. It's supposed to come out the 26th but I'm getting it Tuesday :chanpop:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Moribito is 12 dollars for the complete DVD set on amazon... get that or wait for the blu ray to go on sale? (blu ray is like 50 dollars)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What the gently caress? Street date for Cagliostro hits and it's...for Amazon Prime members only? Since when was that a thing?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Weird. I've been a prime member for a year or so but I've never noticed that before.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Most responses I've found on the subject appear to be :shrug: but I have to believe it will eventually go up to the public, presumably at a higher price than $14.99. Just a little annoying since I needed it to get up to $35 on free shipping for something else. Guess I'll grab Princess Kaguya instead.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
It's on sale at Right Stuf for $19.99 last I checked.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Weird. I've been a prime member for a year or so but I've never noticed that before.

That's kind of balls if Amazon turns themselves into a Sam's Club / Costco bullshit thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
It's in the last 9 hours, so it's a bit late notice, but like their Bubblegum Crisis BD from 2013, AnimEigo is doing a Kickstarter for Otaku no Video. It's just shy of the 100k mark needed to get a bonus audio commentary too, so it's a good time to back it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/otaku-no-video-otaking-edition-subtitled-anime-blu/description

• Locked thread