Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Want to see something pretty?
Spirited Away in HD
(It's from a HD TV broadcast)

Can only imagine how spectactular the BRD is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Don't think it was brought up yet, but The blu-ray for Origins is getting great reviews. Origins: Spirits of the past, if you haven't seen it check it out. Netflix has it on instant play. I thought it was really fun, and the Blu-ray looks gorgeous.

Sakamoto
Oct 4, 2004
Amazon has Summer Wars for $19.99 (pre-order). This movie was fun the first time I saw it, looking forward to owning it in high-def.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's outstanding. Now if we could only get TGWLTT on BD as well....

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nate RFB posted:

It's been announced. Bandai just doesn't have a release date for it yet.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

I finally got to watching a Blu-Ray anime release, that being Evangelion 1.11. I gotta say it looked absolutely spectacular on my 40" HDTV. If this is the quality I can hope to expect most of the time, I think I'll start replacing some of my DVD anime movies.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nick Biped posted:

I finally got to watching a Blu-Ray anime release, that being Evangelion 1.11. I gotta say it looked absolutely spectacular on my 40" HDTV. If this is the quality I can hope to expect most of the time, I think I'll start replacing some of my DVD anime movies.

Summer Wars comes out on Bluray soon, and most goons are going to recommend Casshern Sins.

I myself love Eden of the East, and the series is available for only 25 bucks on amazon, with movies coming out soon (again on bluray!)

Also, watch for any Studo Ghibli releases, can't go wrong with them.

Death's Head
Mar 26, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

UK is getting a double pack of Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Amazon UK.

Also, 5 Centimetres Per Seconds is also getting a release. Amazon UK.

I had read on Asian Bluray Guide previously that one of them was going to be released without the original Japanese audio track an the disc got delay because of this.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Death's Head posted:

UK is getting a double pack of Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Amazon UK.

Holy gently caress.
I just went ahead and preordered this, despite it not getting released until march. Two awesome movies for under 20gbp is awesome.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Death's Head posted:

If only the US BD was as awesome as this. Oh well, Summer Wars on Blu for a cool $20 is great to begin with.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hope you didn't like Baccano

EDIT: DVD for comparison
Again it is an improvement over the DVD if you don't already own it, but a lovely blurred upscale is a lovely blurred upscale.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 29, 2011

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Those look exactly the same to me. Isn't that better than whatever people were rioting about over the Samurai Champloo set?

Lenore03
Apr 22, 2010
I think the fact they look the same is the point. When you upscale the DVD version to 1080p it looks exactly like the BD version, that's bad

Moribito is out on BD next month. Hope they do it right.
http://www.amazon.com/Moribito-Guardian-Spirit-Part-Blu-ray/dp/B004FK5E2A

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So I finally got around to starting watching the Ghibli DVDs I bought several months back and have so far watched Howl's Moving Castle and Whisper of the Heart, both of which I loved. Now I want them on Blu Ray though, because some of the visuals in them were stunning.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Ponyo are the only Blu Rays currently available in Europe however, and I can't see any other titles listed for release on Blu-ray.com so are they just not doing any more over here or what?

Also, plans to release Karas here were scapped which makes me sad. Would have loved to buy that. Are blu ray players for pcs generally reliable and region-free? There are so few anime released in this region that I think I might be better served buying one of them and piping it over to my HD tv than waiting around and relying solely on my PS3.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
Actually the reason those look the same is that they are literally the same picture. The same file.

e: re: baccano

Grenadier fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 30, 2011

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My fault.. I think.. was sure I linked the correct versions..

DVD
BRD

What pisses me off about 90% of the upscales I've seen is that they don't even do a good job of cleaning the video up at it's original resolution. Like fair enough it got produced at 480, 720 or whatever, but at least do a decent job of remastering it before you upscale the bloody thing.

For the record Baccano is a relatively good cleanup, the picture quality still isn't as sharp as it should be, but it's still an upscale regardless which puts it in the disappointing category.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Looks pretty sweet for an upscale. Easily better than just getting the dvds.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Was there any news about ghibli bluray's for the states? I know they won't have awesome cover art like the ones being released now, but I do enjoy the dub for some of my favorite movies (even if they change some of the lines, leaving out interesting backstory princess mononoke).

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
You dudes here might want to know about this.

Paging TheFluff for further explanation for idiots like me. :ohdear:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's an upscale? Wouldn't the movies be produced in 1080p in the first place?

I guess I would want to see more comparison shots across the whole movie set before I get up in arms about it, although it was hardly worth the price as it was.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Infinitum posted:

Laputa: Castle in the Sky BRD Vs DVD comparisons
My Neighbours the Yamadas BRD Vs DVD comparisons

All I can say is WOW. All the glow is removed from Laputa and Yamadas went from a really good release to something even more special.

Fuuuuuucccccckkkk I'm going to have to pick up the Japanese releases of every Ghibli movie now. Those cases are just gorgeous.
Soon I'll have Nausicca DVD R1, R4, BRD R0, R2 :v:

Laputa is really beautiful, but does it really equate to 60 USD plus shipping to import it? :sigh:

How would an American go about ordering a blu-ray disc off of amazon.jp, anyways? Would that version of Laputa play on a US PS3?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

twinight posted:

That picture owns that shows the upscale.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

OrangeGuy posted:

Laputa is really beautiful, but does it really equate to 60 USD plus shipping to import it? :sigh:

How would an American go about ordering a blu-ray disc off of amazon.jp, anyways? Would that version of Laputa play on a US PS3?

Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong but Japan and the US are the same region so it'll play. As far as ordering goes, I'm not sure. I've only ordered from Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

twinight posted:

Welp. Whatever, I'm not spending 400 bucks on that BD box anyway. It also doesn't look like they worked on improving the animation and drawing either.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OrangeGuy posted:

The Ghibli BRDs are region free.

Japan is Region A and so is America. You're fine.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Infinitum posted:

The Ghibli BRDs are region free.

Japan is Region A and so is America. You're fine.

So I could play them in Europe? Do they come with English subs, unlikely as it sounds?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yes and yes.

They also come with the English audio track if you're into that.

Nausicaa
Laputa
Yamadas
Ponyo (Not part of the colour scheme, but it's the only other Ghibli release on BRD atm)

They're also $80 each, so I only recommend them if you're a collector as you'll eventually see a stateside release in a few months. I'm planning on picking them up shortly as they'll look absolutely gorgeous on a shelf.

CDJapan is an invaluable site for finding out what will be included on the BRD and what Region it's locked to, if any.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh man, I swear I didn't see the english audio on those before. Awesome, now I just have to get a player and I'm set.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Infinitum posted:

Yes and yes.

They also come with the English audio track if you're into that.

Nausicaa
Laputa
Yamadas
Ponyo (Not part of the colour scheme, but it's the only other Ghibli release on BRD atm)

They're also $80 each, so I only recommend them if you're a collector as you'll eventually see a stateside release in a few months. I'm planning on picking them up shortly as they'll look absolutely gorgeous on a shelf.

CDJapan is an invaluable site for finding out what will be included on the BRD and what Region it's locked to, if any.

Cool. I'll keep that mind.

By the way, I love Miyazaki's work, but I've only seen a few of his movies. I have not seen Nausicaa, Laputa, or the Yamadas yet.

How are they? If I enjoyed Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, Howl's Moving Castle, and Princess Mononoke, will I enjoy those? I'm assuming yes I will, but why? Which should I watch first out of those three?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Miyazaki directed Nausicaa and Laputa.
Isao Takahata directed My Neighbours the Yamadas.

Both Nausicaa and Laputa are some of Miyazaki's best works.
Nausicaa is close to Princess Mononoke in having a more serious underlying tone.
Laputa is close to Spirited Away in that it's just a really good fantasy adventure.

My Neighbours the Yamadas is a comedy/slice of life movie. I recommend trying to get a hold of it elsewhere before you get it on BRD. It's a good film, but you should only be blowing $80 on it if you're a completionist.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Also, The BD of "The Borrower Arrietty" is out in France on July 1st. It's Region 2, but hopefully it'll be region free. It still hasn't been announced for release in Japan to my knowledge, so France could very well be the first country to get it.

Arrietty's only getting a theatrical release in North America in early 2012, so it looks like at least a year's wait for our Blu version. :smith:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Infinitum posted:

Miyazaki directed Nausicaa and Laputa.
Isao Takahata directed My Neighbours the Yamadas.

Both Nausicaa and Laputa are some of Miyazaki's best works.
Nausicaa is close to Princess Mononoke in having a more serious underlying tone.
Laputa is close to Spirited Away in that it's just a really good fantasy adventure.

My Neighbours the Yamadas is a comedy/slice of life movie. I recommend trying to get a hold of it elsewhere before you get it on BRD. It's a good film, but you should only be blowing $80 on it if you're a completionist.

Hm, I guess I'd want to watch Laputa first, Nausicaa second then. I really loved the artistic appeal and environmental details of Spirited Away. I also enjoy a good fantasy adventure romp and being taken into a detailed fantasy world. I'm planning (read: hoping) a way to get a cheap PS3 later this month and I'd look forward to possibly getting a chance to see one of those movies on it. I might want to wait on the $80 price tag, though.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

twinight posted:

Wow, seriously. That is like a kick to the balls when you buy it. A drat shame cause the DVD art looked good, proper Bluray treatment would have been phenomenal.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
more knk screenshots

The epilogue looks significantly better than the rest of the movies, but yeah this isn't worth buying.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's bloody god-awful. For $400 it would have to be crystal loving clear. The epilogue is how the rest of the movies should have looked.

I honestly feel bad for the fans of the series because that's a joke.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mazinkaiser fans rejoice

If you're a mech fan you should be very, very, very happy with that release.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Infinitum posted:

Mazinkaiser fans rejoice

If you're a mech fan you should be very, very, very happy with that release.

And then you should be sad because Media Blasters isn't actually putting it out here, at least not in 2011! But support the show anyway, even though they're only selling an inferior copy of the show, because they'll never get around to the BD for sure if the DVD flops!

:commissar:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The girl who leapt through time has a preorder page up at amazon for USA folks. Comes out in April.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just kidding, I can't read well. Just Nausicaa getting a blu ray release on march 8.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Whats the word with Redline's bluray release? Isn't the movie done since, like, 2009?

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 9, 2011

• Locked thread