Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Any of the Macross movies or OVA's or anything basically available for Blu Ray in Europe? Getting a PS3 for Christmas and I'd love to have something Macross to play on it. As it is I've already made up a Blu Ray wishlist on Amazon.co.uk and added Wings of Honnemaise, Evangelion 1.11, Gundam Unicorn episode 1 and Nausicaa. More recommendations for pretty poo poo to blow my socks off always welcome.

I'll have to check out the other thread for recommendations on non-anime stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Plorkyeran posted:

Normally upscaling stuff doesn't actively make it look worse than it already did, but naturally the anime industry can never miss a chance to do as terrible a job as possible. The latest example is the (massively overpriced) Haruhi BD box set, which was almost artistic in its destruction of the video: DVD BD

I feel blind even with my glasses on because I'm honestly not seeing any difference between the DVD and Blu Ray version. What am I missing that's so awful?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Infinitum posted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you seriously can't tell the difference?

Compare these 2 bluray samples:
Nausicaa 1920x1080 screencap
Haruhi 1920x1080 screencap

See how clear the Nausicaa cap is compared the to the swirly Picasso that is Haruhi? Character outlines should be sharp and colours should be well defined, but in this case it looks like it's literally been run through a Photoshop swirl filter.
It's disgusting.

The Haruhi DVD image looks pretty swirly to me too and I was only comparing those two images and not the Haruhi Blu Ray to any other Blu Ray since that was what was provided for comparison. Of course the Nausicaa one looks much sharper, but it looks like the Haruhi image that the poster provider was always meant to be somewhat odd and artistic looking and the upscale just made that more obvious.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So I finally got around to starting watching the Ghibli DVDs I bought several months back and have so far watched Howl's Moving Castle and Whisper of the Heart, both of which I loved. Now I want them on Blu Ray though, because some of the visuals in them were stunning.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Ponyo are the only Blu Rays currently available in Europe however, and I can't see any other titles listed for release on Blu-ray.com so are they just not doing any more over here or what?

Also, plans to release Karas here were scapped which makes me sad. Would have loved to buy that. Are blu ray players for pcs generally reliable and region-free? There are so few anime released in this region that I think I might be better served buying one of them and piping it over to my HD tv than waiting around and relying solely on my PS3.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Infinitum posted:

The Ghibli BRDs are region free.

Japan is Region A and so is America. You're fine.

So I could play them in Europe? Do they come with English subs, unlikely as it sounds?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nate RFB posted:

Rurouni Kenshin...Filler arcs designed to keep the ball rolling while the manga got further along, but back fired by being so massively terribly it got the series canceled.

Wait a second...how bad can those episodes have been to say it got the series cancelled considering the regular filler quality of Naruto/Bleach?

This reminds me I need to watch read Kenshin someday. It's one of those seminal shounen things I never got around to. Along with Hunter X Hunter, Saint Seiya, Dragonball and Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventures. Nor have I ever finished Fist of the North Star. I'm a bad manga fan :(

Guess I can start Kenshin with the blurays though. Any excuse is a good one really.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DamnGlitch posted:

Also no one seems to like Turn A at sunrise/bandai so there is that too.

Apparently it's been getting progressively more popular in a cult way over the years, so maybe one day there'll be an English blu-ray. Maybe in like 20 years, when whatever the successor to blu-ray is is making the rounds. I live in hope :shobon:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DamnGlitch posted:

I personally would be very surprised if we get a physical successor to Bluray.

But interesting that it is gaining in popularity.

Keep in mind I'm going of /m/'s word on this, so take it with an entire barge of salt. I just can't be bothered hunting through Japanese sites to try and verify it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I enjoyed most of Tenchi Universe, but I remember 16 or 17 year old me found the ending awful. It builds up to a big fight, then has Tenchi and the king or whatever stare at each other before dreaming about some trees and then the king gives up. I might try and find the original OVAs again at some point though, haven't seen 'em since Cartoon Network and I do remember enjoying those. Cabbits are cute, Ryoka and Washu were pretty cool and I like the mechanized tree things the princess used as bodyguards while the hand-generated lightsabers looked sweet and they had at least one or two decent fights without over-staying their welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sakurazuka posted:

At £25 per set, it still costs less than I paid for the DVD's back in the day.

I don't even object to the price, I'm just annoyed they'll be in two boxes instead of one. I know it's a really minor thing, but still...

• Locked thread