Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Bebop and Escaflowne's cel animation & CGI were composited together and then transferred to video for broadcast. So while the cel animation could probably be restored ala Evangelion, the original CG elements would have to be re-rendered and composited. Assuming they still exist, which is unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Was Gurren Lagann produced in HD? I really wanna pick up the movies, but once you go Blu...

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Is there any word when Ghibli's "Arrietty" is coming to DVD/Blu? I want to see it so bad :(

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Also, The BD of "The Borrower Arrietty" is out in France on July 1st. It's Region 2, but hopefully it'll be region free. It still hasn't been announced for release in Japan to my knowledge, so France could very well be the first country to get it.

Arrietty's only getting a theatrical release in North America in early 2012, so it looks like at least a year's wait for our Blu version. :smith:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Question: I know it hasn't been released over here, but is it safe to assume the Japanese Eureka Seven Blu-ray Collection is simply upscaled HD?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
The Borrower Arrietty is finally out on BD. And sweet hopping Jesus is it ever beautiful. Probably the most lush backgrounds Ghibli's ever made.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
:siren: ESCAFLOWNE on Blu-ray in Japan, Feb. 2012! :siren:

Oh god this is my favorite series ever. I hope it's not upscaled rubbish, I will import it in a second.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Guyver posted:

So the rumor that Master Keaton, Borgman, Berserk and GPX Cyper Formula are getting BD box sets are true.

I'm really happy about Borgman being true because that was never released on DVD officially. I've wanted to watch it for a while now but all that's out there is the VHS rips.

Master Keaton?!? Seriously?!
Holy poo poo, I was just about to mention how that is one series that is in desperate need of a re-issue, considering how the DVDs (R1 anyway) had the single worst transfer I'd ever seen in my life. They bumped up the sharpness to 500% and called it a day. It's god-awful.

Great news.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I just remembered that Master Keaton got a Blu-ray box in Japan last year. Man, that was a great series, but had an abysmal DVD transfer.
I'm so glad they're giving it the HD treatment!
After all, it's selling for 42,000 yen ($545 USD), it must be worth it, right?

:stonk:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
That's awesome. I guess Disney always did like to release Ghibli titles in waves as opposed to individually, but it's been so long...

I'm afraid this might be the last wave we see for a while, though. I can't see them releasing From Up On Poppy Hill over here theatrically, and I don't know if they'll bother releasing catalogue titles without a new release to prop them up.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Aside from the half-dozen or so episodes that were storyboarded by Kazuya Tsurumaki, it's not even that great-looking of a series. There's a lot of episodes done on the cheap (even before their budget was slashed).

Is End of Eva on Blu-ray?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Escaflowne was released on BD in Japan, right? Have any comparison screenshots found their way onto the net?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Other than the fact that one is DVD/Blu combo and the other is Blu only, are these two Eden of the East sets identical?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
The ESCAFLOWNE Blu-ray box set has been out for a year and I still haven't seen any screencaps! Anyone find some?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Kingtheninja posted:

Wings of Honneamise is down to $28 on amazon. Can anyone post how good it looks? I've never seen this before but heard so much about it. I'd like to own it.

It's gorgeous, on par with Disney's Blu-ray of Snow White. Pausing at any point looks like they taped an original animation cel to your TV.
Extras are light other than some behind-the-scenes essays, but it's a great set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

ultimatemegax posted:

Right, it looks amazing with nothing done to the image at all.

That's also not including the brightness issue that Funi/Sentai/Viz/Sevakis all suffer from where the black levels used in NA analog tape players/recorders are slightly brighter than Japanese/European levels, so all images instantly get brighter, resulting in a loss of detail from the very first step (transferring from tapes to digital files).

But let's just defend Funi because CHEAP ANIME IS THE poo poo!

You actually just inadvertently proved that nothing's wrong with this release.

Those effortposts you linked? They're arguing over the minuteness of grain detail. Jesus christ, get a grip.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/112881

Oh yeah, look at this garbage :jerkbag:

• Locked thread