Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Infinitum posted:

Badly. If there's one thing I hate about bluray is the loving bland blue cases they come in.

Ok so for the most part we've established that most anime movies are going to come out looking amazing, but I've yet to see a good remaster of an OLD TV series. So I started hunting around and what did I find? A bluray remaster of Serial Experiments Lain

Ready to have your mind blown? (Check out 6 & 12 in particular)

01.) DVD | Bluray
02.) DVD | Bluray
03.) DVD | Bluray
04.) DVD | Bluray
05.) DVD | Bluray
06.) DVD | Bluray
07.) DVD | Bluray
08.) DVD | Bluray
09.) DVD | Bluray
10.) DVD | Bluray
11.) DVD | Bluray
12.) DVD | Bluray
13.) DVD | Bluray
14.) DVD | Bluray

THIS is exactly why you should be pissed off when a series doesn't get a good remaster. Jesus just look at how amazing it is. Are you seeing the same poo poo I'm seeing? Cause goddrat if it doesn't make me want to throw out my DVD collection and pick up a new set.

Unfortunately the Japanese release is the only version available and even if you're prepared to shell out $300 for it, it doesn't come with English subs.
Though it does include the dub for whatever reason. Still if it ever gets released for a reasonable price I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

Lain aired in 1998 and came out on DVD in the US in 1999. Pretty much every single anime DVD from that time looks about the same; full of analog artifacts, hilarious over- or undersaturation, broken blacklevels etc etc. They probably transferred it in analog form.

The bluray version looks partially reanimated and partially warpsharped from the old source, but it's better than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

GoldenNugget posted:

atrocious box art.

(japanese version, but as far as I can tell the US version will be basically identical except cheaper and including a translation leaflet for the artbook)

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 14, 2010

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Skychrono posted:

http://www.amazon.com/FLCL-Complete-Collection-Kari-Wahlgren/dp/B004DMIIPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292477112&sr=8-1

FLCL finally dated and priced. Hooray for not having to pay the $140 asking price for the Japanese import.

Has anyone seen those Blu-rays, btw? How's the quality compare?

Don't buy that. It's a terrible blurred and warpsharped release that actually has less detail than the (japanese) DVD's. It's probably better than the old R1 DVD's but that's only because those are so incredibly terrible, like most anime DVD's from that era.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ineffiable posted:

Any idea if the Jp release of castle in the sky have (maybe) English menus and subtitles? Or at least region free or playable on a ps3?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VWBS-1189

CDJapan posted:

Region Code
Region-free

Subtitles
English Japanese French Cantonese Mandarin Korean

Audio Tracks
Japanese: DTS HD 2.0ch Surround
French: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround
German: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround
Korean: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround
Cantonese: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround
Mandarin: Dolby Digital 2.0ch Surround

(all the jp Ghibli bluray releases so far have been multilingual with english subtitles)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
more knk screenshots

The epilogue looks significantly better than the rest of the movies, but yeah this isn't worth buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Infinitum posted:

It's the conversion process they use called Q-Tec

Basically it upscales and 'cleans' and leaves blurry, smudged lines and none of the sharpness you'd expect from a traditional BRD.

Q-Tec is a Bluray mastering studio, not a conversion process. They are however by far the most common offender when it comes to these kinds of artifacts, so their name is sort of synonymous with this kind of filtering (the line smudging in particular probably comes from a sharpening technique called warpsharp).

• Locked thread