Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Ineffiable posted:

Just chiming in to say my only anime blurays are Eva 1.11 and Eden of the East.

Eva 2.22 is up for preorder at Amazon, with a release date of March 29.

We have different studios for each Eva movie, right? So there's no reason to wait for a boxset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/FLCL-Complete-Collection-Kari-Wahlgren/dp/B004DMIIPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292477112&sr=8-1

FLCL finally dated and priced. Hooray for not having to pay the $140 asking price for the Japanese import.

Has anyone seen those Blu-rays, btw? How's the quality compare?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

TheFluff posted:

Don't buy that. It's a terrible blurred and warpsharped release that actually has less detail than the (japanese) DVD's. It's probably better than the old R1 DVD's but that's only because those are so incredibly terrible, like most anime DVD's from that era.

:smith:

Why is it so hard to own this series?!

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Ferretts posted:

I appreciate the head's up Fluff and all, but it feels like you just took a steaming poo poo on my day. FLCL was among the first on my shelf, and at $25 x 3 / 6 (ignoring tax and shipping) was the most I've ever spent per episode, and I'd do it again. I wanted it to be the first of many Blu-ray... And it was releasing right before my birthday... and... :smith:.

Here's hoping for a US (or comprehensibly subtitled) Utena release.

I felt the way you did... but I don't own FLCL already. So... I have no choice but to buy it... :(

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Infinitum posted:

I'll try and dig up some FLCL shots, but yeah.. apprently it's pretty average. How the gently caress that can happen with an OVA and a Gainax release I have no idea.

Can you find some? I honestly can't find any online.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Len posted:

For $5 extra I'll go with the Bluray then. I'm just glad it's at an affordable price finally.

That's exactly how I feel. I saw some screens from earlier in this thread that didn't bother me. Maybe it will be horrible in motion, but at least I'll get to own it.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Space Fish posted:

RightStuf either made an error or does favors for pre-orders, because the blu and keychain arrived yesterday.

Where'd you order from?

...what keychain?

And if the upscale is really, really bad (like some people say) wouldn't the better idea be to get the new DVD and have your player upscale it?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

:cmon:

Heh...

I read it wrong, as the previous guy said that that very store said it wasn't out yet. My mistake.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Space Fish posted:

I think FLCL on blu-ray looks and sounds great, and especially recommend it if you haven't seen nor owned the series before. Yes, it is an upscale; no, the series has not been ruined.

If You have an upscaling DVD player is the difference worth it over just getting the DVD? I guess audio would be improved, and it would be more durable, but video wouldn't be better would it?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

For those with the FLCL Blu-Ray: What extras does it come with? The DVD has:

Director Commentaries
Videos with Music by The Pillows
"Ride on Shooting Star" Video
Outtakes
Textless Closing Song
Trailers

I ordered the DVD before Azrael gave a great reason to buy the Blu-Ray and wasn't able to cancel in time. :(

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Maybe it's just crazy for the limited release and it'll get better after...?

I just want cleaned up Ranma. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I agree with boom boom. Most of those covers are terrible. It's not original art or anything, it's just a cell from the movie. The Ponyo one is especially bad, since the picture is so busy and references a specific scene instead of a concept.

For minimal design I'd prefer the old final fantasy style, where it encapsulated the game in a unique image.

• Locked thread