Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

OrangeGuy posted:

I am going to be getting a PS3 tomorrow and wanted to ask: Is there a list of awesome anime movies/series to get on Blu-Ray? If not, are there you all would recommend getting?

I personally love Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films and enjoyed Paprika, but are there any other Blu-Ray video/audio quality and overall quality anime Blu-Rays you all would recommend?

Thanks! :)

Akira (100% wildly-enthuisastically recommended)
The Wings of Honneamise
Summer Wars
Tekkon Kinkreet
The Sky Crawlers
Sword of the Stranger
Escaflowne: The Movie
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (if you can find it)
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (only the first two parts of a planned six are available so far)
Evangelion 1.11 & 2.22 (of a planned four parts)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (US release in April)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

The Black Stones posted:

Nope. Solid State Society was supposed to have a BR release but it got delayed. Not sure if it ever got resolicited.

Speak of the devil...

Laughing Man, Individual Eleven and Solid State Society are supposedly streeting on Blu on June 21.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
And another dispatch from the ridiculously-long-delayed department:

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie will finally get a US Blu-ray release on June 28, three and a half years after the Japanese BR.

For those keeping score, we're still waiting on:
  • Metropolis
  • Memories
  • Steamboy
  • Perfect Blue
  • the original Ghost in the Shell movie
  • Spriggan
  • Gundam movies
  • Patlabor movies
  • Bubblegum Crisis
  • Riding Bean
  • Galaxy Express 999 movies
  • The Five Star Stories
  • Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro

… and I could go on. (Of course, some of those have English subs. But they're still $80-90 a pop.)

Mr. Stay-Puft fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 7, 2011

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Out of the movies listed there, I think around nine are on blu ray in japan (including arrietty). It's intensely frustrating to know that so many titles are waiting to be transferred over, but I guess at the very least we can expect arrietty on blu ray sometime in the summer.

And for what it's worth, they all have English subtitles and in some cases English audio. The only problem is that you're paying, with shipping, $90-100 per movie.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Guyver posted:

The Gundam blu-ray releases haven't actually done that well. Out side of SEED HD the best selling one was the Char's Counterattack half price edition. Not counting 00 because it came out when bluray was starting. The problem is that everything gundam got a DVD in the early 2000s then the popular series again in '07 then again everything in '10/'11 with the G-Selection DVD sets. Japan may be old Gundam'd out.

They're probably going to work though the BD sets the same way they did the G-Selection sets. Which is production order. So Victory, G, Wing, X then Turn A with the OVAs last.

So uh... 2014 at the earliest? Maybe.

Except for the fact that The 08th MS Team comes out on Blu-ray in February.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

Is Spirited Away ever going to come out on BluRay?

Yes. In fact, it's been broadcast in HD already (in Japan, at least). So have Porco Rosso and The Cat Returns. Ghibli is just pacing themselves by releasing two movies every quarter or so, so as not to flood the market. Kiki's Delivery Service and Only Yesterday came out in Japan last week. US releases tend to follow after several months to a year, although there was less of a lag with Grave of the Fireflies, possibly because it's licensed by someone other than Disney.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Macross Plus comes out in Japan on BD June 21. Includes the OVA and the movie version. No subs, but it does have the dub.
Amazon.co.jp

The old Yamato movies from the 70s/80s are also coming to BD over the course of next year, starting in April. For some odd reason Farewell is first (I guess because it was kicked out of the canon by the 2nd season?)
Amazon.co.jp
CDJapan
From the description it looks like they're leaving the alternate ending off Final Yamato (it was included on some versions of the DVD).

edit: EndingS. Apparently there are at least three versions. Spoilers, obviously.

Mr. Stay-Puft fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 26, 2012

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Turns out the Gurren Lagann BD set IS being "re-filmed" in HD and will include both of the movies and the Parallel Works. It will also include English subs for the series & movies and the English dub for the series.

~$721 is still ridiculous.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-04/retailers-list-gurren-lagann-bd-box-with-english-sub/dub-in-japan

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Good news! Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura, and Ranma 1/2 are coming to Blu-ray!

Bad news! $880, $1814, and $1484 respectively.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_banner.html?key=207525

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Nope. The original's quality is pretty much on par with DVD, if not worse at points from what I remember. It'd be nice to get the original movie straight up on Blu-Ray because the CG added to 2.0 looks like poo poo and I just want the original at this point.

On the upside, the much-better-looking Japanese Blu-ray has English subtitles & dub and is "only" $65.50.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/GHOST-THE-SHELL-%E6%94%BB%E6%AE%BB%E6%A9%9F%E5%8B%95%E9%9A%8A-Blu-ray/dp/B004G097OK/

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Any scenes with CG in them are upscaled; however, these are all pretty brief. I'd say 95% of the time it's true HD and looks fantastic.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Today's Amazon Gold Box deal: All US/Disney Studio Ghibli discs are 55% off. This includes the Blu-rays of Nausicaa, Laputa, Whisper of the Heart, Ponyo & Arrietty @ either $18 or $19 each. Also includes DVDs of Kiki, Mononoke, Spirited Away, Porco Rosso, Cat Returns & Yamadas @ $14/$15.

15 hours left:
http://amzn.com/gb/A1AFUTSUKDY380

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Arion, Angel's Egg, and the original Record of Lodoss War were just announced for Blu-ray. Lodoss in particular I'm excited about given the notoriously crappy DVDs; while there are a few cases of old OVAs being released on Blu as terrible upscales (3x3 Eyes, Nuku Nuku), the title and description go out of their way to mention "Digitally Remastered" and "a new master," so hopefully we don't get screwed.

These join Porco Rosso, Arcadia of My Youth, Toward the Terra, the remaining Yamato movies, and of course Gundam and Mospeada on the slate for the latter half of the year. Good times.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Buffis posted:

Uh, does that movie have some kind of kult following in Japan or something, cause a bluray release of that was rather unexpected to me.

That movie is weird as gently caress.

I think it's developed a following after the fact because Mamoru Oshii went on to direct Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell, Sky Crawlers etc. and Yoshitaka Amano became the character designer for Final Fantasy.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Endorph posted:

Out of curiosity, what was crappy about the Lodoss DVDs?

Video quality. Blurry, lots of problems with interlacing, ghosting, etc. Probably made from old analog Laserdisc masters rather than from re-scanning the film digitally as is standard-ish practice now. The Japanese discs are very noisy (image-wise) and the American discs are filtered to death to compensate.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
This wasn't in the original announcement I saw, but it turns out The Cockpit is coming out the same day as Arion and Angel's Egg.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Srice posted:

Between that and Arcadia of My Youth I am all sorts of excited for Leiji Matsumodo stuffs in HD. I wonder when they'll take the plunge and work on blu-rays of either the Captain Harlock or Galaxy Express 999 tv series. I don't think there's many movies and OVAs left.

The Queen Millennia movie came out on DVD right after Arcadia and was also from an HD print (I think), so I'd bet that would be next.

Arcadia of My Youth was my first real anime, in second grade. My head pretty much exploded.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
Original, non-Rebuild Evangelion finally announced for Blu-ray next summer. Between the Blu-ray set and a new DVD box, all the confusingly different versions of the TV series, Death & Rebirth, and End of Eva will be available on disc (if I'm reading correctly, the only thing missing from the Blu-rays is a particular TV edit of Death & Rebirth).

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
It's on sale at Right Stuf for $19.99 last I checked.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

God dammit. Just when I collected them all.

If it makes you feel any better, the Japanese equivalent was missing a bunch of extras from the individual ones, and I'd assume this would be no different.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I know this is technically not a Blu-ray question, but has anyone here bought the new Discotek DVD of Robot Carnival? If so, can they post screenshots and/or let me know if it's letterboxed or true anamorphic (given the issues presented by "Cloud"?) I'm trying to see if the video quality is better/worse/the same as the R2J. (Or if you know a better place to ask.)

Mr. Stay-Puft fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

I know this is technically not a Blu-ray question, but has anyone here bought the new Discotek DVD of Robot Carnival? If so, can they post screenshots and/or let me know if it's letterboxed or true anamorphic (given the issues presented by "Cloud"?) I'm trying to see if the video quality is better/worse/the same as the R2J. (Or if you know a better place to ask.)

Finally decided to buy the drat thing and answer my own question.

The result: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/148736

Clearly from the same source, but the Japanese disc is letterboxed (scaled for comparison) and the US really is true anamorphic. (Yes, this requires some shenanigans where "Cloud" is concerned but who's watching on 4x3 screens anyway?) The latter is ever-so-slightly overcropped, but DISTINCTLY sharper. American disc wins for once! Congratulations Discotek.

• Locked thread