Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

AzraelNewtype posted:

:ohdear: I have some bad news for you.

Anyone know if the audio is any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Well this is disappointing... "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie" is on Blu-Ray today in the US, on a totally bare-bones disc that only has stereo audio tracks even though the movie was mixed and presented previously on DVD in 5.1 (the Japanese Blu-Ray had a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track). From the screenshots, the video quality looks about as good as you could hope for but still...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cowboy-Bebop-The-Movie-Blu-ray/21270/#Review

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"Evangelion 3.0" is coming out on Blu-Ray in Japan way earlier than anyone expected: April 24th.

Midjack posted:

There was a Special Edition remaster of the Manga DVD several years ago. I have it, but haven't done a side by side comparison of the two.
Its the exact same transfer but with higher-bitrate audio. The one thing that's always irked me with "Ghost in the Shell" on DVD/BR (apart from the awful 2.0 version), is that the old VHS and laserdiscs had the movie at about 1.66:1, but nowhere on DVD has it been presented that way.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

Funimation grabbed:

Cowboy Bebop
Escaflowne
Outlaw Star
Witch Hunter Robin
My Hime
My Otome 0 ~S.ifr~
My Otome Zwei
Code Geass Akito the Exiled
Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion + Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
Angel Links
Crest of the Stars
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Passage of the Stars - Birth
According to The Digital Bits, Funimation is also trying to get the rights to "Akira".

I must ask though, why oh why would anyone bother with "Witch Hunter Robin"?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Funimation's Blu-Ray of "Akira" will include the Streamline dub, plus most of the extras from Pioneer's DVD. Hopefully the transfer isn't windowboxed.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"Perfect Blue" is coming to Blu-Ray in the UK on October 28th from the same company doing the BR release of "Bebop" in the UK.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I have the Funimation release, which I'm pretty sure was done in-house. It looks okay, better than 99% of upconversions. It kind of reminds me of 16-to-35mm blow-ups, where the benefit is that you have a larger, brighter image, but have to deal with the inherent weakness of the original format.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Wasn't Bebop the same case, though? IIRC that turned out OK, didn't it?
With "Cowboy Bebop" apparently almost the entire show was output to film, so it was mostly a straight film-to-HD transfer.

By the way, Discotek is releasing "Jin-Roh" on Blu-Ray in December apparently, and they've gotten video rights to "Castle of Cagliostro", which is in the works for next year.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"Watamote" is coming from Sentai on August 26th with a dub, and Funimation is releasing "The Devil is a Part-Timer" as both a regular and limited edition on July 22nd.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Shere posted:

[...]why can't I find anything about a Space Dandy US release anywhere? Surely the first half has been out long enough for one of Funi's classic "half a show" blu-ray "complete" sets to have a release date, but nada.
I'm guessing it'll be spring 2015 before we get "Dandy" on Blu-Ray or DVD in the US. Japanese publishers are terrified that their ludicrous price-fixing of physical media will vanish instantly if they let an American publisher put out their product in a reasonable time frame. Still its better to wait than have a fiasco like that one show (I think "Persona 4"?) where the Japanese publisher made the American licensing company put out a dub-only release that was strictly prohibited from sale outside North America.

Speaking of "Dandy", why is the second season not on iTunes at all? The first season was there from the start, so what the hell is the hold-up?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Its less the price fixing and more of their (slightly crazy) fears of reverse importation, where Japan folks will buy stuff from here on the cheap and not the Japanese releases.

But yeah, the Persona 4 Anime was hit with that regarding the Blu-Ray version (But not the DVD, curiously enough). Its also why some companies like Funimation were forced to release DVD-only sets of shows like Panty & Stocking and Deadman Wonderland (They both eventually got Blu-Ray sets, but it took like a year after the DVD releases.)
'Reverse importation' was the term I was trying to come up with in my last post. Funi doing those DVD-only sets was apparently because Kadokawa threw a hissy fit and wouldn't allow any Blu-Ray releases of their properties outside of Japan for an entire year. For some reason.

Uznare posted:

If you think about it it's not an unreasonable time frame, poo poo like the venture bros to give an example of western media takes forever to come out on home media.
Usually the release window with American shows (animation included) has to do with when a new season is coming out. Fox seems to be the most dedicated to this, as stuff like "Archer" has its previous season released on DVD and Blu-Ray about two or three weeks before the new season starts airing.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Cinedigm is releasing "Patema Inverted" and "Welcome to the Space Show" on Blu-Ray and DVD in the US on November 11th.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
A new distribution company called Cinelicious is going to restore and re-release Belladonna of Sadness, a phenomenal and extremely disturbing anime film from 1973, theatrically and on DVD and Blu-Ray next year. This is one I never thought would get any kind of official release in the states (the only time I can think of it being shown theatrically was at the Spectacle in Brooklyn), but this is very welcome news.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

The English sub track of the Japanese BD release of Princess Mononoke is definitely not closed captioning, so anyone who hates that I guess can just import it
Ditto for the Hong Kong and Taiwanese BD release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
They're also only $20 on Amazon right now.

• Locked thread