Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DarthJon posted:

Anyone want to bet Evangelion 2.22 will be available for sale this weekend at Katsucon? They are showing it there

Confirmed negative as of Friday night, though the first showing isn't over until after the dealers' room closes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Did the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex BRs ever come out in NA? The Japanese release has been out for a while now and I thought we were supposed to get a release in January but nobody will admit to stocking them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

Speak of the devil...

Laughing Man, Individual Eleven and Solid State Society are supposedly streeting on Blu on June 21.

Ah there we go; last I'd heard was mid-January. Thanks for the link!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keyboard Kid posted:

Presumably the 'forbidding SD content' which honestly makes some sense to keep the Blu-Ray market a bit less saturated with poo poo and keep the format regarded somewhat highly.

Which is too bad because you could save a lot of shelf space with a series on a single disc.

efb

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guyver posted:

The complete edition comes with a copy of Perfect Memory. Also a first episode script.

Over $500 though. I guess this is the first time I've come face to face with one of these kind of otaku-milking things before where I want it but not at that price.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I do find it hard to believe the home video market will ever need more than 1920x1080. I know they are working on some pretty ridiculous resolutions beyond that, but unless home users start getting gargantuan TVs haven't we more or less hit the wall with regards to pixel density for home video?

We have a little ways to go yet (an 80-inch Apple Retina display?), and remember there are substantial fractions of the world who don't have access to high-speed internet connections. Physical media will be around forever and commercially viable for another decade at least.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah... but they'll probably have to redo the dub track then. And find all of the original VAs, again. Or buy the dub tracks from Bandai Ent... which seems like a long shot.

So it's not ideal. It wouldn't a problem if it was just a crappy dub but just about everyone stateside at least thinks of *THAT* Dub as the definitive version.

May not be that long of a shot since BE is primarily about licensing now; hopefully they don't get too greedy about it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Super Librarian posted:

ROD the TV BD: $159.98

That got you the TV series and the OVA a few months ago. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Having watched all three of them when Cartoon Network showed them I will say that if you're in hell and must watch a Tenchi series, Tenchi Universe is the one you should select.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, but why even bother with the masters? One company has already done the Masters->BD process, it would save time/money/effort to just literally copy the digital files over. Just call up Geneon, ask to borrow their BDs for a bit.

This is hilariously reminiscent of Tokyopop's "buy manga, microwave it apart, scan, and put in English text" approach to manga translation and distribution.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

.02 seconds of nude Yoko and they will sell like hotcakes, that sadly is how the industry works these days.

Tell me that's a hyperbolic example. Please.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

Turns out the Gurren Lagann BD set IS being "re-filmed" in HD and will include both of the movies and the Parallel Works. It will also include English subs for the series & movies and the English dub for the series.

~$721 is still ridiculous.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-04/retailers-list-gurren-lagann-bd-box-with-english-sub/dub-in-japan

I might pay a tenth that. Lotsa luck, Japan.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

How do you "re-film" a series that was digitally animated?

128-bit color. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rinkles posted:

That's really unfortunate because to me 2.0 is a minor atrocity in its own right.

That quote makes it sound like the included original is even inferior to a DVD copy. Browsing Amazon, it doesn't look like there were any DVD remasters released in the West outside of the original shody Manga release. And I don't think the DVD version of 2.0 is bundled with "1.0" either.

There was a Special Edition remaster of the Manga DVD several years ago. I have it, but haven't done a side by side comparison of the two.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Two Worlds posted:

Angel's Egg rules. Definitely one of my favorites.

Hold the loving phone. Is this the Two Worlds?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carecat posted:

GITS: Stand Alone Complex costs $150-200+ for each half? :smithicide:

If you like that you'll love what the new Space Battleship Yamato goes for.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Google BakaBT, they have pretty much everything that's translated and not currently ongoing, (unless it's licensed by Funimation anyway).

If BakaBT doesn't come through or you're in some kind of account silliness there and can't search them I've found Kickass Torrents has a decent amount of stuff as well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

my understanding is that Harmony Gold doesn't have the distribution rights to Macross Plus (and other non-SDF/DYRL properties) pursuant to a Japanese court case that I haven't read. Harmony Gold did trademark the term "Macross" in the US, so that trademark would need to be licensed. Last I checked, shouldn't Manga Ent. still have the distribution rights? Surely they know a Macross Plus bluray would be a strong seller. From the screenshots I've seen of the BD rip, it looks amazing.

HG is probably straight up refusing to license the trademark to anybody else who distributes video and I doubt Manga has the cash reserves or the desire to throw down with HG over it.

DamnGlitch posted:

Manga Ent is full of poo poo lords and idiots. They sat on the rights for years and put out a poo poo version of End of Evangelion for fucks sake. They didn't even repress that poo poo to take advantage of Rebuild's popularity.

This isn't helping their chances either.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carecat posted:

Any idea which is the newer of "Cowboy Bebop Collectors Edition" and "Cowboy Bebop Remastered Sessions"? Google isn't helping.

I think they're the same thing released under different names in different parts of the world.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

What? Seriously? How? Why?

TV show property rights can be incredibly granular. Like you don't always get the rights to the music during the opening and credits when you license the show. The extra episode happened outside of what was broadcast sooooooo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hopefully Fumigation (not fixing the autocomplete) does better getting this out on time than they have with Evangelion 3. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I can't tell which is worse, american Ghibli blurays, which have all that poo poo up at the top that squeezes the art down into the bottom half, or Japanese Ghibli blurays.

I dare you to like something.

I like the simplicity of the silhouette, myself.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That's just Aniplex being Aniplex in regards to the pricing. I've not noticed any glaring flaws with the two Kill La Kill sets they've put out but I figure if it was anything I wouldn't have noticed it unless somebody told me anyway.

Does Lossy Audio really mean much on already printed media? I'm not an audiophile so I admit I don't really have an ear for these things.

For the most part no, but if I'm dropping six bills on a TV show it better be the best version possible.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Buffis posted:

Also, anime fans in the western world are notoriously against actually paying for their stuff.
Everyone are used to "it being ok" to download fansubs when the shows are unlicensed and honestly, it's not like 99% of the crowd really cares if the show is licensed, or even commercially available already.

Streaming is convenient and generally dirt cheap, which actually makes it a viable vector for the content owners.

I'm surprised that anyone bothers releasing boxsets that aren't extremely overpriced collectors items at this point.

Huge parts of the world, including parts of the United States, has slow Internet connections. How the population of anime watchers overlaps with that I dare not speculate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sure to make the Gurren Lagann box set look like a steal. I'm betting a $600 street price minimum.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OZC posted:

So if anyone has been holding out for BDs for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex with subs (since the JP BDs have the dub but no subs), there's a Korean BD box that just released that has the dub and subs for about $150. It's been confirmed that a box for 2nd GIG is planned for next year too. Worth checking out since Manga is unlikely to do anything but sit on it here.

http://kimchidvd.com/en/good/goods.jsp?good_seq=20460

Thanks for posting; I jumped on it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Sort of missing an opportunity there, aren't they? Expand the market a bit, but people who really want the drat thing will buy it anyway even if it does have no subs.

If they sub it they weaken their negotiating position with Funimation or whoever tries to license it for US release. Not by much, but it's probably a concern for the execs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Something this big? Funimation will accidentally replace the last episode with deleted scenes from Smegma Angel 12 or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was more bagging on Funimation for being over a year late on 3.33 than brightness levels.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

OZC posted:

I don't have the exact links since I'm on my phone but I linked to kimchidvd.com earlier in the thread. They have the exclusive release for the Korean market. The first season is out and 2nd Gig releases in March. $150 per set, JP and English audio and English subs. Only downside is there is no signs and songs track for use with the dub, but it's not critical.

1st Gig
2nd Gig

I ordered the 1st season from them and got it quickly after release. I have a preorder for the 2nd Gig in already. I recommend kimchidvd unreservedly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Razzled posted:

:drat: Ok well I locked in my price at 15 so Amazon will send me a copy whenever they get them back in stock. Now to continue brooding on whether or not to shell out big bucks for Ghost in the Shell SAC s1 and s2 blurays...

yes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Weird. I've been a prime member for a year or so but I've never noticed that before.

That's kind of balls if Amazon turns themselves into a Sam's Club / Costco bullshit thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Its coming out February.

I've heard that one before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Its been officially announced by funimation to come out in February. It means Khara is finally satisfied with the dub/subtitle track I guess.

Well, I was wrong and it actually happened this time!

• Locked thread