Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Just chiming in to say my only anime blurays are Eva 1.11 and Eden of the East.

Eva 2.22 is up for preorder at Amazon, with a release date of March 29.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Any idea if the Jp release of castle in the sky have (maybe) English menus and subtitles? Or at least region free or playable on a ps3?

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 7, 2011

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nick Biped posted:

I finally got to watching a Blu-Ray anime release, that being Evangelion 1.11. I gotta say it looked absolutely spectacular on my 40" HDTV. If this is the quality I can hope to expect most of the time, I think I'll start replacing some of my DVD anime movies.

Summer Wars comes out on Bluray soon, and most goons are going to recommend Casshern Sins.

I myself love Eden of the East, and the series is available for only 25 bucks on amazon, with movies coming out soon (again on bluray!)

Also, watch for any Studo Ghibli releases, can't go wrong with them.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The girl who leapt through time has a preorder page up at amazon for USA folks. Comes out in April.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I figured it still looks better than any DVD you can get, it's a decent price, and at least the shelf life of blurays are much longer than DVDs, so why not?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Five years ago, most places would have charged you at least 40 dollars to get all three flcl dvds. Now we get them on one disc for pretty cheap.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So, anyone else really bothered by the fact that Eden of the East: The King of Eden came in a DVD case? Now it won't match up with my bluray set.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Seriously? That's really weird. I mean, I'll probably end up getting it still but that is a bit off putting.

Yeah, I mean if it'd be nice if they did it like Disney and had a bluray box and a dvd box, but they were still both a bluray/dvd combo pack, you just got to choose your size.

It's the only way to get the movies as of right now, either in DVD or Bluray. I just find it such a change from Eden of the East: the series being available in DVD or Bluray. I probably would have gotten bluray only if they did give you an option.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Didn't see it mentioned but Redline is coming out on Bluray this month. (in case you don't visit cinema discission)

We should also be getting The World God Only Knows this month but you really should wait for a price drop on it. It's only the first season (12 episodes) and it's got an MSRP of 10 bucks, with the lowest preorder price on amazon being 49.99.

Sengoku Basara 2 out next month as well. Expensive at the moment, but it could drop fast.

2012 is looking good for US domestic anime releases, especially if ghibli releases start picking up. If I were you, I'd wait until Amazon does an anime sale (last year they did this and Basara season 1 was down to like 23 bucks for the bluray set and a lot of other series were in the $25 range.)

edit: I guess Zorak would want this mentioned :siren: BUY REDLINE :siren:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Anyone know why TGWLTT is so expensive on amazon? I figured it's been out for a while and it could easily be nabbed for like $20 or less.... but the lowest it's been on Amazon is 28 bucks. Odd considering Redline launched at 20, and Summer Wars could be had for like 18 bucks at one point.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I just felt it wasn't substantial enough. Not much happens in the movie. It could have easily used an additional 30 minutes or so for a few more acts.

Felt like more than Ponyo. And I sort of appreciate the relative calmness of this movie. It makes me think more akin to KiKi's Delivery Service than Castle in the Sky or Nasicaa.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Did anyone get the new Lain boxset? Just curious for goon reviews on it and opinions.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

Apparently Gurren Lagann is getting a BR release in Japan at the end of June, for ¥ 63,000.

£500 for an upresed show.

Shine on, Japan, you Crazy Diamond.

I love the show, but that's too insane.

I would honestly pay over $100 if they could redraw the animation or something and have it in full HD.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hatter106 posted:

Other than the fact that one is DVD/Blu combo and the other is Blu only, are these two Eden of the East sets identical?

Yes. The first one (the combo pack) came out after the movies, which they made combo packs only (IRRC). Someone decided it wasn't uniform enough with the movies, and the series has been re-released in a combo pack only.

I prefer the art of the second one, but there shouldn't be a difference quality wise, unless you'd like to have the dvds too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Skychrono posted:

Maybe it's just crazy for the limited release and it'll get better after...?

I just want cleaned up Ranma. :(

I want to say on average Japan prices are 3x ours.

So Ranma is probably closer to $400-500 bucks if it ever does come out here. Kind of easier to swallow when you realize this is about 7 seasons. Then Amazon is probably going to discount it to $250 bucks or so.

But that's if we even get it at all. Might as well gamble on a routlette.

But yeah, just watch them release it only in entire series packs.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

All this talk about gunbuster and Diebuster may get me to buy it. Where's the cheapest place I can score that bluray? It's region free right?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

But does gurren lagann actually have a bluray release in NA? All I found was just the movies.

I assume the UK set is region locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Is the price difference in those disc densities actually significant? I mean I guess even at ten cents more, it really adds up over the whole production run.

Got any pictures of the box? Mine is coming in from Amazon on Tuesday. I physically bought this one to try and support it even if it's a little expensive set.

• Locked thread