Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

The Devil Tesla posted:

That is the special edition, the regular one is $40. 10 bucks an episode on a bare bones disk, and the dub is poo poo.

You're thinking the DVD I think.
Though that might only be $30.

But yeah, the way they say Senketsu and Junketsu is weird and they seem to pronounce some words in odd ways but the dub cast is perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Speaking of stupid dubs and bad DVD releases, Yugioh 5Ds is getting the first season released entirely from the desecrated remains of 4Kids. Dub only, DVD only as far as we know, January release and we will probably never get a proper release of 5Ds.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2014-07-31/yu-gi-oh-5d-1st-season-will-ship-on-dvd-in-january/.77170

Considering that this is 4Kids we're talking about, it was either going to be two SKU's (One with the dub, and an Uncut Japanese version a la what they did for YuGiOh Duel Monsters.) or just the edited dub and nothing else because they don't cater to adults, just kids.

Speaking of bad releases, the second part of Kill La Kill is up for Pre-order and releases on October 21st. Same price as last time but you get five episodes instead of just four! :shepface:
At least shipping's free.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Shere posted:

I'm glad Bebop is finally surfacing, once details emerge about what version contains what I'll be all over that, but why can't I find anything about a Space Dandy US release anywhere? Surely the first half has been out long enough for one of Funi's classic "half a show" blu-ray "complete" sets to have a release date, but nada.

I'm equally surprised about that, no "Complete first season" set or anything.

GrandpaPants posted:

Cowboy Bebop is up on Amazon for preorder. I have no idea what the Amazon exclusive edition entails, besides maybe a cover. $70 currently, but could drop over time.

Keep in mind the MSRP is $100. This is very much like the Sailor Moon Blu-Ray set (That'll be coming out around the same time as this, coincidentally) where the MSRP is obscene ($80 for that one.) but its much more reasonable pretty much everywhere (Except Amazon, ironically).

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 15, 2014

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

I'm guessing it'll be spring 2015 before we get "Dandy" on Blu-Ray or DVD in the US. Japanese publishers are terrified that their ludicrous price-fixing of physical media will vanish instantly if they let an American publisher put out their product in a reasonable time frame. Still its better to wait than have a fiasco like that one show (I think "Persona 4"?) where the Japanese publisher made the American licensing company put out a dub-only release that was strictly prohibited from sale outside North America.

Its less the price fixing and more of their (slightly crazy) fears of reverse importation, where Japan folks will buy stuff from here on the cheap and not the Japanese releases.

But yeah, the Persona 4 Anime was hit with that regarding the Blu-Ray version (But not the DVD, curiously enough). Its also why some companies like Funimation were forced to release DVD-only sets of shows like Panty & Stocking and Deadman Wonderland (They both eventually got Blu-Ray sets, but it took like a year after the DVD releases.)

Its no secret that Japan's releases are way overpriced for what they contain, but apparently it works that way.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

'Reverse importation' was the term I was trying to come up with in my last post. Funi doing those DVD-only sets was apparently because Kadokawa threw a hissy fit and wouldn't allow any Blu-Ray releases of their properties outside of Japan for an entire year. For some reason.

Yeah, that was the reason from my recollection. Its not like PSG really needed Blu-ray anyway since its just upscaled to begin with, but I've gotten into the habit of just buying Blu-Ray and getting the DVD as a bonus since everybody seems so committed to the Blu-Ray/DVD Combo pack nowadays so getting a DVD only set bites.

It didn't matter though, I got a fancy pants coin and bought the Blu-Ray set later anyway because I'm a lousy double dipper. :shepspends:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The way the packaging is advertised makes it seem like it would be a pain to display.

I imagine it looks cool though, but the Amazon one sounds like a better deal.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Midjack posted:

Hopefully Fumigation (not fixing the autocomplete) does better getting this out on time than they have with Evangelion 3. :v:

Well considering they have no "Theatrical demand" bullshit to hide behind or any redubbing to do I imagine they'll do just fine.
They must already have the materials they need.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's probably less that they didn't try to get new elements, and more that they did try and were told to get hosed. Japanese licensors have a history of actively trying to make the American releases worse, whether because of reverse importing or simply because "gently caress you gaijin."

They shouldn't need to worry about European stuff though, considering they're in a different region code.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

The Japanese set has been discontinued for some time now.

They're releasing single volumes starting in November with the second coming in December. $50 each at 5 volumes leads to being about half as much as the imported box.

Of course they're also singles so its not much bang for your buck at around $10 an episode.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

OZC posted:

The US releases have seen the reverse importation-discouraging pricing, but haven't been gimped for the most part. Hell, the US release of Sword Art Online has lossy audio tracks, while the UK release Manga put out had lossless audio.

That's just Aniplex being Aniplex in regards to the pricing. I've not noticed any glaring flaws with the two Kill La Kill sets they've put out but I figure if it was anything I wouldn't have noticed it unless somebody told me anyway.

Does Lossy Audio really mean much on already printed media? I'm not an audiophile so I admit I don't really have an ear for these things.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Eh, with KLK the boxes are basically the same as the ones for the TTGL Movie DVDs they released way back in 2009 and they're perfectly fine for the purpose they serve. They don't seem like they're prone to damage in transit so whatever, I feel as if a nicer chipboard would've cost more and the show's already more expensive than most.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Squallege posted:

Good News: Space Dandy's finally being released on Blu-Ray. Bad News: It's only the first season so far in February.
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/11/17/live-out-your-wildest-fantasies-with-these-space-dandy-premium-edition-releases/

Yeah, these aren't like the amazing Bebop sets. I'm just going to stick to the normal LE with the Chipboard box.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Aniplex put out the solicitation for the last three volumes of Gurren Lagann.

One a month through March. Same old $50 price tag. I'd find it annoying but honestly its cheaper than trying to buy the old Bandai DVDs at this point even if I do already own 2/3s of that set.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

So the Bebop blus are out now, The Amazon exclusive box is just wonderful, and the video is fantastic, sharp colors, grain untouched, the CG stuff... its not onscreen that often so its not a big deal. Only gripe (and its relatively minor) is that they deleted the Japanese credits in the OP and replaced them with boxy white english credits, the credits in the ED are in english too but not scrolling like they were in the Bandai release.

All in all, good job. Would've preferred the OP to have been left untouched but its still way better than the old Bandai set that I have.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mine's fine, a little tricky to close it but there's no cracks.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Paper Triangle posted:

Do the FLCL blu rays look good? So far all I have is Cowboy Bebop, Redline, and Paprika which all look great and I'm thinking of getting FLCL but I don't wanna get burned.

They're perfectly fine, an upscale and maybe a little soft looking but overall a lot better than some other anime Blu-Rays.

I'm not sure if JP Blus exist though, if they do they might be upscales as well.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Paper Triangle posted:

I don't understand this motion filter thing that's on TVs now. Every time I go to my parents they have it turned on again and it makes everything look really weird and surreal to me. Like it reduces normal human movements to a weird mess and I can't figure out the point of it.

It kind of makes everything look 60fps but every time I see it they sort of don't have enough power to keep the effect going consistently and it'll go back to its original framerate.

I imagine it'd be good for video games that aren't optimized properly and can't run consistently 60fps but for TV and Movies it just looks bad.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/ng.html
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00SYD9OE8/

Evangelion Blu-ray Box up for preorder, releasing August. $350 from Amazon Japan, probably no subs.

Sort of missing an opportunity there, aren't they? Expand the market a bit, but people who really want the drat thing will buy it anyway even if it does have no subs.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Midjack posted:

If they sub it they weaken their negotiating position with Funimation or whoever tries to license it for US release. Not by much, but it's probably a concern for the execs.

Some guy on the Blu-ray forums said subtitles would require the company to license the subtitles out from the US distributors (Not that they couldn't just make their own subtitles.)

Besides, if they keep the dub off there they'll still be okay with whatever company they license it to since Japan doesn't give two shits about that.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Honestly if people want to complain about bad Blu-rays you really have to look no further than the Sailor Moon sets Viz is dumping out.

Set 2 just dropped for some people last week and the general consensus is that they mildly improved the video issues. But it still looks terrible in comparison to the R2 DVDs and the artifacting and ghosting are still present.

Not that anybody really needed any convincing to not drop money on these after Set 1's disastrous PR nightmare.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Razzled posted:

Does anyone have suggestions on where to get a bluray set of Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex without getting rape dollared on imports? Amazon doesn't seem to have anything.

Never seen the show and figured I should watch it in full glory.

I think the only ones that exist are the ones that were mentioned earlier (I think the Korean sets?), those look to be $150 before shipping and have the dub from the looks of it. The US gets nothing because Manga holds the rights and they're pretty much a zombie that serves only to release GitS every once in a while.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Space Dandy season 1 has hit in the US.

They put episodes 1-10 on the first disc and 11-13 on the second, I have no idea why they thought divvying the episodes up like that was a good idea. You think they'd do something like 7-6 instead.

Box is nice looking though.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Buffis posted:

Still no news about Evangelion 3.33 bluray?

Its coming out February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Midjack posted:

I've heard that one before.

Its been officially announced by funimation to come out in February. It means Khara is finally satisfied with the dub/subtitle track I guess.

• Locked thread