Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Any news on a mononoke blu ray release? It's one of my favorite movies of any type. I had a ps3 but sold it for a 360. It was a gaming choice, gave me a way to talk with friends online and such. Anyway, knowing that ps3 is the best choice for a player, how big of a price gap is there between one and other players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Don't think it was brought up yet, but The blu-ray for Origins is getting great reviews. Origins: Spirits of the past, if you haven't seen it check it out. Netflix has it on instant play. I thought it was really fun, and the Blu-ray looks gorgeous.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Was there any news about ghibli bluray's for the states? I know they won't have awesome cover art like the ones being released now, but I do enjoy the dub for some of my favorite movies (even if they change some of the lines, leaving out interesting backstory princess mononoke).

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Oh man, I swear I didn't see the english audio on those before. Awesome, now I just have to get a player and I'm set.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just kidding, I can't read well. Just Nausicaa getting a blu ray release on march 8.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 9, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I also saw Tales from Earthsea coming out (DVD) on the same date as Nausicaa. Is this the first official release of the movie, and do you think it will be long before a blu ray release follows the dvd or should I settle with the dvd?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

So Tales of Earthsea (Gedo Senki) is being released the same day as the BRD of Nausicaa. While earthsea is only a dvd format, I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a blu ray release for it? I would love to get the movie but would really prefer a high def version of it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Well I finally picked up a blu ray player. I was originally going to get a decent sony player, then decided to switch my 360 for a ps3. Since I work at Target I managed a decent deal on one. Anyway, I let fly with a rabid purchasing of movies at that point.

I picked up Akira at a local used media store. Watched a bit of it today and it really does look amazing. The movie's color palette always blew my mind, but in this format the colors were solid and very bold. I could also pick out many details in the shots I couldn't quite remember from before.

Everything else I ordered online, so I'll be waiting on those over the next week or so. That includes:

-Origins: Spirits of the past (looks gorgeous)
-FMA: Brotherhood vol. 1 (really excited about this in hi def)
-Nausicaa (US release)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

:ohdear: I have some bad news for you.

Ahh I seem to remember going over that post before. I'm still excited, I loved the show a lot and thought it had a really wonderful look to it when I was watching it online, so a blu ray can't be worse than that. Also just ordered summer wars based on everyone here talking about it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just want to say I love the FMA blu ray. This is a show that has brilliant colors in a wide range, and seeing them so smooth in any kind of high def is a real treat.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I should have my copy by the end of the week, but the ghibli blog put up some screens. I think someone posted these earlier in the thread but here they are again and yeah, the detail is insane.

http://ghiblicon.blogspot.com/2011/01/nausicaa-blu-ray-how-does-it-compare-to.html

Also really waiting for steamboy on blu. I found a dvd copy for like 3 bucks so I picked that up, but it's really just a place holder.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Arg this is really annoying. The first time Amazon doesn't ship a pre-order the day of (or even before) release and it's for Nausicaa and tales from Earthsea. Of course at work (Target) they have both in and with my discount would be about the same price. Lesson learned I guess.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Len posted:

I'm watching nausicaa right now and holy he'll is this a gorgeous bluray.

Yeah watching it now and this is just awesome. For an animated movie from 1984(?) to have such a clean look to it makes me excited for the other releases (namely Laputa)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Summer Wars was amazing, I really really liked it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Quick question about East of Eden. I've been watching the show (and loving it)on netflix and will probably buy the blu ray set. I noticed there's a movie as well available on amazon. It comes out next week, I was wondering without spoiling anything if it was a continuation of the series or a stand alone thing?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Thank you for the deepdiscount info, I was a day or two away from paying $35 for Sword of the Stranger, now I don't have to :)

EDIT: Oh man, Escaflowne is on here too. Is the movie a condensed version of the show or a continuation of it?

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 25, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Thanks for the info about Escaflowne. I ordered Sword of the Stranger, very excited about it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

So, anyone else really bothered by the fact that Eden of the East: The King of Eden came in a DVD case? Now it won't match up with my bluray set.

Seriously? That's really weird. I mean, I'll probably end up getting it still but that is a bit off putting.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I know Ruroni was a tv series, but I remember seeing previews all the time for Samurai X. How are the two related, because Samurai X looked pretty mature/violent compared to the Ruroni series.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Hopefully I'll be getting Sword of the Stranger in the mail today or tomorrow. Also read up on some ghibli news, and The Borrower Arrietty is released on br/dvd June 17th, I think it was.

People interested in the movie should seriously consider the japanese release as it turns out the stateside release of the movie isn't happening until Feb. 2012. And that might just be a theatrical release, so add a few months for disc.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

So I'm seeing two different versions of a complete samurai Champloo. One is out, and the other is coming out in a month, what's the difference between the two?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Really? I thought it got a decent review on BR.com but it's been a while so I'll have to re-check that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I guess Laputa got a BR/DVD combo release in the UK? It's impossible to find info (I guess there isnt any) on disney bringing it stateside but I did come across reviews from this month for it in the UK.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I really enjoyed Summer Wars, especially on blu ray. The story and art really lend itself to a high definition picture.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'll end up getting it because I don't have the dvd version and it's so cheap anyway. However it's still really disappointing to hear.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just a heads up, but the first 4 volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood are $20 each on amazon until the 23rd. In typical fashion, I ordered volume 4 a week before this started so I missed out on $10

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Very excited to see that. I really enjoyed that series.

Also, from looking around that site, it appears Howl's moving castle and Tales from earthsea (gedo senki) Are getting Blu ray releases in November. They carry the trademark ghibli BD case. Are these the latest ones after Laputa, or was there a release in between I missed?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Does anyone have a good site for news on the ghibli blu's getting a disney US release? Is there any news about them? All the ghibli sites I can find are either way outdated or only talk about the japan releases.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Looks like Arrietty is getting a US theatrical release in Feb 12, so expect a blu ray release around...summer sometime. Also noticed there's a new listing for the complete eden of the east series. It's coming out at the end of Dec. Anyone know the story on this? It looks like the same thing as the series set they released a year ago.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Creeping through the BR.com forums, found a post regarding ghibli:

digitalbits posted:

Disney has revealed that they're going to be repromoting their previous Studio Ghibli DVD and Blu-ray animated releases on 2/5, presumably tied to their 2/17 theatrical release of Ghibili's 2010 animated film The Secret World of Arrietty. Titles included are Castle in the Sky, The Cat Returns, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Pom Poko, Ponyo, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Tales from Earthsea and Whisper of the Heart, most of which have been released here in the States on DVD only. We would HOPE that more of them will find their way to Blu-ray in 2012, either in February or later in the year when The Secret World of Arrietty arrives on Blu-ray and DVD. We've begun asking around, so we'll let you know if we hear anything.

Really not sure what this means for disney releasing more blu's, but hopefully something will come out in February. I'm almost resigned to never seeing anymore US blu ray ghibli releases.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Out of the movies listed there, I think around nine are on blu ray in japan (including arrietty). It's intensely frustrating to know that so many titles are waiting to be transferred over, but I guess at the very least we can expect arrietty on blu ray sometime in the summer.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Which sucks, those covers are so awesome I'd easily spend that much on them if I could. As it is, the only one willing to do that for is princess mononoke.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I don't know, I'm all for macross on blu, but can they really make it look good? There's a bunch of muddled shots in that show, I feel like it'd be really difficult to sharpen it up. Then again I know almost nothing of the transfer process.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The Singing Chav posted:

Whatever Ghibli Blu's get released in the US, I will purchase at some point. You listening, Disney?

I wish they would listen :(

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'm not really sure what you're saying, but there is no totoro blu ray in the states. From what I can tell it hasn't been released on blu yet.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Ha, you're right....the Disney release cover is blue at the top and I guess I assumed when looking at it that it was a bluray. I guess I have a while to wait then...

That got my hopes up too last year, seeing castle in the sky with the blue top right next to nausicaa blu.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just ordered Redline, Cowboy bebop movie, and Girl who leapt through time. Cannot wait to finally watch Girl, after reading everyone in this thread talk about it. Also very excited about Redline.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

TGWLTT was loving amazing, finally glad I got to see it.

I know it's a long shot, but has anyone heard plans for a US release for Blue sub no. 6? I wouldn't have a huge issue with importing it, but the cover would make me feel like a pedo for owning it. http://www.yesasia.com/us/blue-submarine-no-6-blu-ray-box-blu-ray-english-dubbed-subtitled-japan/1022449746-0-0-0-en/info.html probably :nws:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Amazon has some listings up for Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart on BD, but there's no release date just yet. More than likely they're going to be pushed out when Arriety hits shelves.

THANK loving GOD. I'll be keeping a very close eye on this, but this would be some fantastic news. Kind of surprised they didn't go with howl's instead of whisper, or has howl's not been out long enough for a US release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I meant the blu ray release of howl's, since I think there has to be a certain time period between a JP release and when disney is allowed to release it here.

• Locked thread